“Yummy coconut prawns”

Ranked #16 of 238 Restaurants in Coffs Harbour
Price range: US$6 - US$27
Cuisines: Thai, Australian, Contemporary, Bar
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Bombay Brasserie is located within Coffs Harbour's beachside precinct Park Beach. Originally opening as "Macauleys Restaurant" in the beginning of 2008, with Mr John Chittick & his daughter Renee,this family owned and operated restaurant did take Coffs Harbour to new heights with its contemporary menu and relaxed, but elegant, ambience. Now a New Chapter is starting again, in August 2016, with new owners Joti & Joyce Singh. With a completely new All Indian menu of both North & South Indian cuisine. With the new owners the restaurant decor has had a mini makeover with a slight subtropical Indian atmosphere . The candle lighting indoors creates an elegant dining experience, whilst the rustic courtyard at both the front & rear of the restaurant creates an intimate alfresco setting, perfect for that special night out in the warmer months. Family functions can also be catered for.
Reviewed 22 March 2018 via mobile

The food was delicious and I will easily go back there. The place is fully licensed and has a decent selection of drinks. The serving sizes are not exceptionally large, but still more than enough. Our waitress seemed to be a bit new a the job and forgot to bring the rice with the rest of the items we ordered. It was soon fixed though. I can recommend the coconut prawn as well as the naan bread. Slightly on the expensive side.

1  Thank almariem

Reviewed 21 March 2018

It was a mixed bag type of experience. There were certainly no highs this night. I met up with a work colleague we hadn't met for quite some time so were in no hurry to eat and run. However, when we arrived on a Monday night (we figured being Monday they would not be booked out so we didn't book ahead of time), we were just left standing at the front for several minutes before we were greeted and eventually taken to a table. It was a rectangle table set for four, but we both sat, settled our bags and got relaxed. there would roughly be around 20 tables in the place and 3 other couples in the place.Another waitress came over and said "I will sit you at a table over there for two". I'd just had a 10hour drive, so wanted to spread out and not feel cramped, so I was not moving and my friend just said, no, we were staying put. The woman tried to explain that if more people came in and they needed the larger table..... We assured her in the unlikely event that on a Monday night, everyone in Coffs Harbour suddenly decided to have curry for dinner, then we would then move. Not a great start.
The lady came over several times to get our order until we just asked if she was closing soon? otherwise, we would let them know when we wanted to order, but yes, in the meantime we would have a drink. Sadly, she didn't know what a Jim Beam was, and she didn't know what a Bourbon was either. Then despite the drinks menu (licensed bar) stating they had an extensive variety of spirits, we learnt that in fact they do not stock any spirits at all. At this point we nearly left but figured it coudn't nose dive any more. Minor things, we just were not in the mood for it. Anyway, two wines it was. No drama.
We ordered and what usually amuses me, I asked for 'enough rice for two'. "Is that a small or large?" Well, the customer doesn't know what their version of small or large is. So again I just asked for enough for two, "oh then a small should do" aagghh
We were going to share the meals, so we also asked that both meals be made hot - chili/ spice wise.
In all fairness, the meals arrived in good time and she did ask if we wanted the entree served as an entree or with the meal. I don't particularly understand why some people get their entree with their main, but whatever works. We wanted ours first, and thats how it was served. They were lovely and hot and the sauce was a real winner for me. I could've just had that sauce with rice!
Once our meals arrived we were so busy talking and catching up we didn't notice anything amiss. The lady ensured we had cold water when we had first sat down and also enquired if either of us wanted another wine. She was not hovering but did notice so full marks here for attentiveness. I had another wine, the driver declined.
We had the creamy coconut prawns and lamb rogan josh. That style of prawns is a real favourite of mine and I'm not sure what they had added to it but it was not at all what I'm used to - almost like a tomato base. The lamb was very tender but nothing spectacular about that dish either. Another oddity was that both meals contained peas. I don't think I've seen frozen peas in too many other curries. The naan was nice, although a little over done - but that's how I like it but the raita was extremely bland.
After the meal when we mentioned the lack of chilli, she checked the docket and then took responsibility immediately and stated she didn't check. Top marks for that. They didn't charge us for the rice as an apology. That was appreciated.

1  Thank Annamarie D
Reviewed 17 March 2018 via mobile

Great service and ambiance. Large portions, must try the garlic naan bread to eat with the curry !!!!

1  Thank John S
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Like many other reviewers, I was impressed! I've eaten at a few Indian restaurants and in SE India, and Bombay Brasserie is a stand-out in the best way. Service was great, prices very fair, especially so given the high quality of the food. Would readily return...

Date of visit: February 2018
1  Thank Aditya G
Reviewed 24 February 2018

Just ate the best Indian meal I have consumed in a restaurant for many years. Totally unexpected find in a country town but am delighted. Would recommend this restaurant to all lovers of subcontinent food. Great vegetarian choice.

Date of visit: February 2018