See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 1 September 2016

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights during the course of an Italian road trip. On arrival, we were impressed. Set back into the cliffs with dramatic views, we were hoping for good things.
The car park is a little tricky to access but I'm sure if you're driven this far in Italy you'll manage it!
We headed to reception to check in. My Italian is pretty poor so, like everywhere else we'd stayed, I was patient and offered to use translating apps to make communication easier. However I found the staff here to be particularly rude and surly. Not something I'd mind normally, but they then started to tell us that the terms of the booking were incorrect. We'd booked through booking.com, like we had for every other hotel along our trip. It clearly stated that breakfast was included but they insisted that this was not the case. €20 a day. In 1000 miles of travelling around Italy, this one the only instance that the terms of the booking were questioned.
Moving on. The room was clean and pleasant, with a lovely view over the bay. Cleaning staff were thorough and punctual. Breakfast consisted of a cake buffet, coffee, some cold meats, hot dogs, scrambled eggs and fresh orange juice. Nothing special but not bad. Having been told we were paying for this on top of our booking, we filled our boots! Views with breakfast were stunning. We sat outside when the wind allowed and it was gorgeous in the sun with the views.
We headed out into the local area for exploration for a few hours here and there but the majority of the time we stayed on the private beach. The water is beautiful and with the beach being set back into a bay there is next to no wind. The beach is very convenient to access, with a lift directly down just behind the bar and then a short walk down to the seaside.
However, what we weren't told was that access to the beach is NOT included in the room rate. I was rather horrified to discover that access to the beach was charged at €18 a day. No mention of this was made anywhere on the terms of our booking, at check in, at the point of entry to our beach. The beach attendant asked us if we were staying at the hotel when we arrived, he took our name and room number and showed us to a beach bed. As you can access the beach as a non-hotel guest, people who weren't staying were paying for the access.
In summary, the Hotel Spa Villa del Mare could be a fantastic place to stay. It has decent facilities, wonderful views and provides a blissful setting for relaxation. However, the bitter taste left with the extra, unexplained at point of sale charges has made it difficult to reflect on our stay with much a a sense of satisfaction. We were quoted €297 for 3 nights stay and ended up being charged €425 (which includes 2 rounds of drinks at the bar).
The curtness of the reception staff did not make us feel welcome and will leave a lasting impression of the place.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jorge1712
Reviewed 28 April 2014

All your paying for is the view, but the view is not worth the value. No one speaks english or Spanish, service was horrible. Your free breakfast is hard bread, cold eggs and pastry. The free wifi is free to them not the guest. 4 days without a signal that works. Their excuse was it's down in the area which is a lie being a last minute traveler booked acrossed the street and had perfect wifi. My room is horrible and I requested to change and they did but later decided to charge me 250 euros at check out. If you there for an event good luck. They have a midnight curfew. They lock all the exterior doors and you have no way of getting in or out. The area is isolated nothing in site. You been warned.

• Stayed: April 2014
3  Thank EricP1732
Reviewed 6 September 2013

Stayed for 5 nights for a family wedding in August. The hotel is set in a beautiful location...cliffside, overlooking its own small bay....tremendous views!! On arrival, found parking a little difficult as there was another wedding taking place...very busy! After checking in (staff ok....), found our room, which wasn't too spacious, but it had its own small balcony with breathtaking views!! Bathroom was small and dated....very small shower cubicle with a shower curtain that insisted on having a fight, each time you took a shower!! Good air con system, although a little noisy, essential as the weather was very hot!!
Communal areas were very well presented inside the hotel. The outdoor pool was super, with plenty of free sun loungers...had to pay on the beach for them! Downside tho'...if there was a wedding taking place, the pool was closed to non wedding guests....bit of a trek to the beach!!
Breakfast was good, with plenty of choice. Staff were ok, but not particularly friendly.
The wedding day itself was out of this world....the whole day with the help of Lucia, the wedding planner, went like a dream....good food and plentiful! Lots of happy guests!!!
Super location for a wedding!!
NOTE...a car is essential...cliff-side roads with very steep drops!!
biting insects...we all suffered..some quite badly!
expensive bar with differing prices depending on staff (pint of lager 5 euros...next round 6
euros?!)

Room Tip: Definitely ask for a room with a sea view!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Victoria023
Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed here for 6 nights for an English wedding. Beautiful setting on the coast looking out to sea. Rooms (we had a sea view ) was very spacious with air conditioning, balcony and stunning views. Bathroom a little dated with only head holding shower attachment over the jacuzzi bath and no shower curtain. Pool lovely and a private beach below. Beach sunbeds an extra charge which at euro16 per day we found very expensive! Staff friendly. No lunch available other than basic sacks at beach snack bar but not an issue. Make sure you have insect repellent as the biters are mighty and many in our group had spectacular reactions to bites! Jelly sea shoes a must if you want to take a dip as stoney beach a real challenge on the feet! Overall a lovely hotel in a beautiful rustic spot in Italy.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cousinaliba
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My friend and I were doing a southern Italy coast line trip. No agenda or hotels planned. We definitley wanted to see Maratea and the large Jesus statute. The small town of Maratea was my favorite place in Italy. The coast rivals Amalfi and I like Maratea better than Positano.

Now for the hotel. We showed up late and dusty from a long ride from Sicily. This hotel was perfect. It was in mid Oct and was a little slow. We got treated with great respect from staff and the rooms were awesome. Overlooking the water and beach. Pool was nice and I don't know why others complained about train, both my friend and myself loved it. Great place to stay. Convenient to super market and the quaint little town of Maratea. We ran out of time but I believe this would be great place to explore Pollino National Park then come back and hit the beach, pool or spa. We saw the spa and the staff was really friendly and the facilities were nice. We could not have been treated better by staff and management. My friend spent some time with the owner and was quite impressed. I am hotel snob and would stay here in a second. Did not eat any food. We went to town for that. You can get rooms that open up and drop in pool or ones with views from bay. Cool hotel.

Room Tip: Depending on time of year you can stay walk out to pool or room with view to sea.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends