See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 February 2017 via mobile

This is a MUST DO! For Aucklanders and visitors alike, it is absolute bliss. Our wee holiday was incredible. We all LOVED every minute of it, right from the exciting ride up the sand dunes with Jim. Anna and Jim are wonderful hosts - so friendly and welcoming. What they have created on their property is so incredibly special and gives their guests a truly magical experience. Our entire campsite delighted each of us, the wee touches and attention to detail were second to none. It truly is a luxury experience, made even more so by the chocolates on the bed at arrival, the provided breakfast and fresh bread, candles in the trees and all around the campsite, the flowers and fresh herbs - it really is something else.

We took our two kids with us and the tent was set up amazingly for us - the kids had a single bed each as well as a fold out couch to convert into a double bed, there was also a single stretcher bed in the "master" end of the tent. Though we told the kids that was our room! :) They both had a great sleep in their room, after a late bubble bath under the stars. We wandered to the lake for an evening swim and again first thing in the morning - the lake is lovely and surprisingly warm. We had such an amazing experience, which created memories that we'll all treasure for the rest of our lives.

As I relaxed in the bath with a glass of bubbles looking up at the stars sometime close to midnight, smiling as I listened to the birds, I felt so relaxed, I'm not sure when I last felt that relaxed.

Next time we'll stay another night or two!!

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank SaffronClark
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

What a fantastic, hidden gem! If you are looking to spend time off the grid- this is your place! I had high expectations for a weekend here and it didn't disappoint!! I loved all the little added extras such as the marshmallows, coffee, fresh herbs and bread. The outside bath was possibly the most relaxing bath I've ever had. I didn't want to leave. There are beautiful walks, waterfalls and the beach nearby. The owners were also very helpful. Myself and my partner loved this place!!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 January 2017

Glorious stay at Wainamu. My husband and I celebrated 6 years of marriage by escaping the city and retreating to this paradise, starting with seeing in the New Year. We didn’t bother looking at our watches: simply listened to our stomachs and the sunsets. 3 days of walks, naps, baths, fireside chats, camp cooking, reading, bird watching and of course, gins. Who knew even making a cup of tea is so relaxing when cooking outdoors!? Took a walk around the lake, waved to the resident turkeys, had a bracing swim in the waterfall pool and a wee explore of the farm to enjoy the high views. So many great touches; vintage champagne glasses, board games, flowers, candles and a flourishing herb garden to cook with. Thanks Anna and Jim for your hospitality, we loved it!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2016

My partner and I stayed at Wainamu on Sunday night. We were met in Bethells by Anna and followed her to her farm and the camp site. Anna showed us around and was very welcoming and friendly. It is obvious from the attention to detail and the quality of the experience that their customer's care is paramount to Anna and Jim. The tent was luxurious with a beautiful queen size bed and lovely collectables decorating the three areas. There is a covered cooking area with a gas hob, a barbecue and a pizza oven or an open fire ready to light outside. Eggs, muesli, milk, bread, yoghurt, marshmallows, tea and coffee were supplied. The private bathroom includes an outside bath and an inside flushing toilet. So special to bathe under the stars and then again in the morning rain. The walk to Lake Wainamu is worth doing and the sand dunes are extraordinary.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 November 2016 via mobile

We absolutely loved our stay here! So close to the city but it feels so far away. Everything imaginable was catered for, and done with such excellence. An older feel with classic New Zealand camping equipment such as plates and cups mixed with a vintage vibe. The outdoor bath, and fire pit with candles placed around the trees were a highlight. The breakfast food provided was also devine, and tasted homemade. The bed was also so comfortable. We have had a few glamping experiences, and this one was by far the best yet. Can't wait to come back!

Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple