Review Highlights

Reviewed 11 September 2018
RubaGhool
Palestinian Territories
Exciting engineering

As with many other visitors we came here as part of an on-shore trip from a fjord cruise. A... read more

Reviewed 4 September 2018
Nilindy
Glasgow, United Kingdom

All reviews atlantic cod bad weather scenic drive norwegian sea great drive beautiful scenery open sea snow capped mountains both sides sunny day take pictures nice view engineering feat roller coaster bud tunnel norway
Reviewed 21 September 2018

Make sure not to miss this part of Norway. I started from Kristiansund taking the tunnel over to Averøy and then began the Atlantic Road. My suggestion is to follow it all the way to Bud. If it is stormy and windy, all the better. It's great in good weather and more spectacular with high surf. Don't miss it!!

2  Thank royklevmyr
Reviewed 21 September 2018

Short (literally) and not so sweet. I agree with other reviewers who say that the Atlantic Ocean Road is over-hyped. It is definitely underwhelming and a disappointment. You might become the victim of its' own tourist industry advertising. Why? For one thing, the advertising photos lead you to believe that there is this great stretch of highway with awesome looking, twisty, high- arched bridges on it that challenge and excite as you drive over them. Folks, there is only one twisty bridge in a short 8 kilometers and it's, well.... a grey concrete bridge with a one twist ramp-road on one end. The other bridges are very mundane affairs that could be in Cleveland and are completely unremarkable. I would estimate that the entire length of the Atlantic Ocean Road with the bridges takes approx. 12-15 minutes to drive unless there is a traffic jam or you decide to stop at one of the scenic pull-offs along the road.

We approached the main section of the road from a different scenic shore road than most people use to access the Atlantic Ocean Highway. We then drove over the bridges in no time at all and my surprised wife said to me, "Let's go back. We must have missed a section when we took the different approach road." So we turned around and did it again in no time. We didn't miss anything. It is, what it is. Now this would not be a big issue, except for the fact that many people are lured by that one photo of that one, somewhat twisty bridge, to drive way out of their way to see the Atlantic Ocean Road. In our case, we could have reached our destination much more quickly by not going to see it. Maybe, and I mean a big maybe, it would be more attractive (but still not impressive), if the sun was shining on a day filled with splendid weather. But this was not our experience, and the dreary weather made it all the more underwhelming. This attraction gets the "DnA Stay Away Award" unless you are a bridge architect with lots of time on your hands and really great weather.

1  Thank DnAAlbany_NY
Reviewed 18 September 2018

Do not waste your time going for the drive all the way to Atlantic road. Its nothing extra ordinary. Norway has very many engineering marvels in the form of its tunnels and bridges. We wasted a day doing this and could have easily enjoyed the time doing a hike instead or exploring another town. On an unusually high tide day this drive could be potentially good for adventure seekers but can't guarantee.

Date of experience: July 2018
4  Thank RakshitaA4
Reviewed 12 September 2018 via mobile

We drove the 8km section that everyone does, the views we good, but it isn't as amazing as other places we have seen on our trip. We also drove the south side of Averoy which was pleasant. We returned over the 8km section and continued along the scenic tourist road to Bud, less busy and views good. Not worth a special trip in our opinion. It doesn't hold a candle to the other national scenic drive we did which was the Gamle Strynefjellsvegen.

3  Thank Douglas645
Reviewed 11 September 2018

The Atlantic Road was amazing for me. Just looking at the unique bridges and the view out to the ocean from the bridges is great to me. There are parking areas and a short walk to view the area. Worth the drive if you will be in the area or if you are interested in seeing a road built in the ocean :) I heard that it can be dangerous in winter so be careful.

Date of experience: August 2018