Open today: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm
Review Highlights
UNDERWORLD ADVENTURES - AN ABSOLUTE MUST DO.

This would have to be one of the best, exciting and amazing things we have done in a long time. We... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Millyoliver
Great adventure

One of the best experiences in New Zealand. Everything was absolutely perfect. From the first... read more

Reviewed 26 January 2024
OnAir40961994821

Revenue impacts the experiences featured on this page, learn more.
All reviews train ride glow worms cave system the river cave rafting new zealand amazing cave great adventure milky way great guide awe inspiring an adventure south island suspension bridge short walk small train andrea
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 April 2015 via mobile

It is with the greatest pleasure I write this review as my young family and I have just experienced four hours of pure excitement, adrenaline, fun and educational learning at its finest! From the very first moment the fun begins, catching the train through the forest to the caves and the breathtaking views you will find inside had us all in amazement that such treasures can be viewed in such a close manner. The biggest highlight of this marvelous adventure is the outstanding glow worm experience whilst floating below them down the stream. A big thank you must also go to our fabulous guide Mark whose knowledge, expertise, sense of fun and infectious enthusiasm made the day for kids and grown ups alike!
Thank you underworld adventures for such great memories, well done!!!

Regards
Willis family

3  Thank Willis72
Reviewed 13 April 2015 via mobile

As there's not much around Charleston we stayed at a town to the north and allowed sufficient driving time to get to Underworld Adventures.
A quick measure up and into your suits. Everything you need on the tour is provided, bring a towel and flip flops(jandals, thongs whatever you call them) for walking around and the showers after. Yes the floors were slippery but the staff do advise you of it. No need to race around, so just be careful.
I found the suits probably could do with an overhaul. Anything with holes in them should be replaced.
The two guides were good, I'm glad we got Mark. You could tell he was interested in what he did and did his best to make our time enjoyable and informative. One of the members of our group struggled a little with a traverse and he was brilliant with her and made sure she felt safe.
The caving was excellent, the rafting fun! Keep your legs pointed to avoid a river spanking hehehe. The highlight for me was the glow worms. My hubby has also done Waitomo in the North Island and he said these were better hands down.
Seeing the wetsuits don't really get a chance to dry.. Make sure you take a towel and shower. Oh people! The rafting part you're only partly submerged, so don't pee in your wetsuit! Some of you will laugh and some will be grossed out but I was horrified to realise at least a couple in the tour group had done it. Go before hand or hold it!
The poor guides shouldn't have to deal with that.

3  Thank PipAndrew C
Reviewed 4 April 2015

I was a bit wary of doing this but it was part of our group activity. Putting my fears aside, I took the plunge and I am glad I did! The sizing of clothing and instruction needed for the tour was adequate. The entire event took about four hours so allow plenty of time. The tour of the cave especially the tubing portion were exceptional. Once back at the base building hot showers are available in the changing rooms. Be careful though as the wet floors are slick and no mats are down for safety. I hope they fix that issue. Don't miss this spot.

1  Thank ChateauWildcat
Reviewed 30 March 2015

Myself and three other young adults stopped here during a tour of new zealand, we had gone off route specially for this attraction. As it is in the middle of nowhere we had to eat in the cafe....This was awful! Food took over an hour and then arrived in dribs and drabs so we all ended up eating separately! Customer service was only what I can describe as weird!

The value for money was terrible, for $175 per person you are dressed in some tatty old wetsuits, driven to an old train then traipsed through the woods (by which point we were near passing out through as it was so hot walking in such outfits!) You're then taken through three layers of a cave whilst being told the same things about stones and caves over and over again, the glow worms were really cool and the tour guide takes pictures which is good as you cannot take your own camera. You then sit in a tube and have to paddle yourself down river then walk back to the train to be given your complimentary drink which was a small child's carton of juice!!! We were also promised photos as part of the huge price....This was a printed picture no bigger than an inch tall and an inch and a half wide...It was laughable. I would only recommend this activity if you can get a 50per cent voucher on bookme or something but overall terrible value for money and a waste of activity on our road trip!

5  Thank Jerseyone88
Reviewed 26 March 2015

I'd been to Metro Cave before with a caving group but I took the opportunity to visit with Norwest Adventures. It was a good day. The new reception cafe area at Charleston is impressive, the mini train trip sure saved a long walk and the guide was friendly and well informed. Definitely would recommend this trip to any one. Fitness and good foot ware necessary,

2  Thank Murry_Cave