All reviews drying room self catering kitchen britannia inn national trust common room lake district bunk beds pretty village apple crumble great local pub outdoor enthusiasts shower facilities car park mobile phone signal skelwith bridge great langdale langdale valley
Reviewed 3 February 2018 via mobile

This was my 2nd weekend stay at Elterwater Hostel and already planning to go back again next year! Location is perfect, there are a range of beautiful hikes to do directly from the hostel, would really recommend this area of the lakes. The hostel itself is very clean and comfortable, the bathrooms have been recently renovated and the drying room was so helpful after a day hiking through the snow!

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
ElterwaterManager, Manager at Elterwater Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2018

Hi Katie,

Thanks for the great review. Just an update... we've nearly finished upgrading the men's bathrooms to the same standard as the women's

Reviewed 29 January 2018

This is not my first stay at Elterwater Hostel this time of year and it has not disappointed yet again. In fact, the stay was better than ever!

The warm and bright hostel was a welcome sight after a long travel journey through wintry weather. The weekend I was visiting Ambelside was filled with snow-covered walks, so the dedicate drying room is a welcome site! After a hot shower I was ready for a trip back out (to the local pub that is).

The beds were just as comfortable as I remember, but this time with added comforts. Recently installed USB charging ports and lights at each bed makes for useful features when wanting to read or relax in bed before shutting off the lights for the evening.

All in all, my stay in Elterwater Hostel was better this time as it ever has been. I would absolutely recommend the hostel and will be coming back!

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
ElterwaterManager, Manager at Elterwater Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 February 2018

Thanks. We're pleased you like our improvements. We are continuing this winter with an upgrade to the men's washroom and a lot of decorating

We should mention that the Britannia has been voted 'Best Walking Pub' by Trail magazine readers

Reviewed 24 January 2018

Elterwater hostel is surrounded by the most beautiful landscape, with walking/hiking for all abilities on its doorstep. There is also a great pub 1 minute walk up the road.

The bedroom was perfect for my short visit - warm and comfortable with handy USB charging facilities next to each bed.

The downstairs communal area was a cosy place to relax in the evenings and the kitchen was well equipped with everything you could possibly need.

After spending the day in the snow the drying room attached to the hostel was extremely useful!

Would 100000000000% return

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends
3  Thank EllaP431

Thanks for the lovely review!

We're SO glad you like us! The USB chargers are part of our ongoing efforts to upgrade without spoiling the character of the place

Reviewed 12 November 2017

A lovely hostel, with friendly, welcoming staff, whom are very knowledgeable of the local area. I was also able to borrow one of the local ordinance maps from reception, to assist me on my hiking trails during my stay.

Dorm-style accommodation was suitable for my purposes - I was located to a 6-bed 'all female' dorm (bunk beds), although there were only ever 4 staying in the room during my visit...

Great self-catering facilities -> one of the best kitchens I've even found in a hostel. And a great policy of reclycing was being adhered to, which is a truly positive, and environmentally-friendly step in the right direction.

Loved the combined downstairs dining & lounge room area - sufficient tables & chairs for folk to dine at, and also several comfortable old lounges, providing a very warm & inviting ambience, with a fireplace to boot!

Not necessarily the easiest hostel to get to - although there is a local bus that you can catch from Ambleside, that helps somewhat,especially if you don't have your own transportation. However, it's a beautiful location, and well worth the hassle to get there!

I'd return back there for more welcoming hospitality & hiking in the general area, without a doubt!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank Zippy-Oz
ElterwaterManager, Manager at Elterwater Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2017

Thanks for the great review

Reviewed 12 October 2017

spent last saturday at hostel, Hired a room for 6 but only 4 of us actually turned up which was probably a good thing as would have been a bit cramped. Bedding good and clean , usb chargers next to bed . Clean hot showers. Had breakfast in the morning excellent value and tasty.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
ElterwaterManager, Manager at Elterwater Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2017

Thanks for the review