2,929 results
All reviews champagne bar golf break afternoon tea drawing room evening meal q hotels main restaurant golf clubhouse public rooms steam room hotel is beautiful leisure facilities leisure club relaxing break birthday treat buffet style an overnight stay
Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel was amazing. Really nice to look at and there was a warm and welcoming atmosphere.

There was a slight hiccup when we came to checking in and the room we had booked was a twin and their system shown a double. But the issue was resolved quickly and effectively.

Inside the room itself was a bit of a let down. The room needed some attention and money spent on it to get it up-to the high standard of the rest of the venue. The furniture in the room was battered, scratched and damaged, one of the chairs had a red stain on the seat, the hook on the bathroom was loose and the kettle was a joke. The wire on the base is about an inch long and with the lack of plugs in the room it was hard to find a safe place to plug it in.

The most disappointing was the bathroom, the towels where stained with what I hope was make up :) it was too late to do anything about it once I was soaking wet from the shower. Some people pay £200 a night to stay at this venue. You would expect top class clean towels in your room.

II felt like I could of stayed at the holiday inn down the road for half the price I paid and had the same experience.

I would hope that this is just a one off in this particular room as friends who stayed in other rooms didn’t have the same experience.

And I’m sure if I had the time when I was there the hotel would of changed the towels if I spotted the stains before the shower.

Other than the room, again the venue, staff and restaurant was amazing... the drink prices are extremely high though.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dan C
Claire S, General Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Dan C

Thank you for leaving a review of your stay at Oulton Hall.

I'm pleased to read that your first impression was good and you experienced a warm and welcoming atmosphere on arrival. I'm sorry you were a little disappointed in your room and found your towel to be marked. Our housekeepers would have immediately changed this for you if brought to their attention. Most of our bedrooms have been recently refurbished although there are a few outstanding rooms that we hope to be able to renovate soon.
I hope that the other aspects of your stay - the restaurant and your experience with our staff outweigh the disappointment with your room. We are continually investing in the hotel to improve our guest experience and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future to see the outcome of our further refurbishment works.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

Enjoyable break where golf enjoyed and also the wonderful spa. Rooms very comfortable and meals were delicious including the afternoon tea on day of arrival. Elegant reception rooms and cosy golf bar.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Claire S, General Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2017

Dear candam

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review on your recent visit to Oulton Hall.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed a relaxing break here and were able to enjoy our facilities and afternoon tea offerings.

I hope to be able to welcome you back to Oulton Hall again in the future.

Reviewed 2 October 2017 via mobile

Hotel was good but golf course was very shabby. Rubbish all over the course, poorly signed and the greens were very poor. There are better courses locally and at a cheaper price. The room in the hotel was ok - not great and the bathroom was very dated. We were located a long walk from reception - not ideal if you have mobility issues.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank GarethDurham
Claire S, General Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2017

Dear GarethDurham

Thank you for leaving a review on your experience of Oulton Hall.

I want to apologise that you were disappointed with our golf course. The amount of recent rain has impacted our greens but please be assured that our greenkeeping team are working hard to combat the elements for our golf guest's enjoyment.

I'm sorry to read that your found the walk to your room to be long. We are a large hotel with 152 bedrooms and so it is inevitable that some rooms are not as close to the main building as others. However, if mobility issue were raised upon making your reservation, we would always do our utmost to allocate a suitable room for your needs.

Reviewed 2 October 2017

After my earlier response which I amaware is 6 months ago, it has taken a while to sort out. I was offered an overnight break. Not good really as we are unable to arrive befoe 2pm, the Spa is rubbish as not private, we have to pay for an evening meal ( last tie it was inedible) not really compensation after all the issues I had.
If you want a nice relaxing weekend and nice food DONT GO!!!

we have since been to a spa that was spot on

Room Tip: not near the restaurant as emptying bottles is loud
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Karen144
Claire S, General Manager at Oulton Hall & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2017

I'm sorry to read that you did not enjoy your return visit to Oulton Hall. Our standard check in time is 3pm, which allows for our housekeepers to ensure all 152 bedrooms are ready for the next arriving guests. We do however offer an early check in and late check out service on request.
I'm not sure of the details as to why you found the spa to be rubbish and so I am unable to comment further on this - other than our spa and gym can be used by members but this doesn't usually have any negative affect on our hotel guests.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

My mum, sister and I visited today for my pre wedding treat for afternoon tea. I booked about 2 weeks in advance and made it clear I was allergic to dairy and confirmed they could cater for me. They agreed they could as they had did this before. Upon arriving we were seated right by the till and the main door which wasn't the best but never mind. I confirmed my allergy again and was assured it was fine and they were prepared to cater for me. After a few mins, a waiter came out with a packet of Sainsbury's cakes asking me to check the ingredients and if I could have this. I can't say I am shocked as this has happened before but in a place like this, I couldn't believe they were palming me off with shop bought cakes when a homemade scone would have been easy to make dairy free. When my afternoon tea arrived, it was half the size of the standard ones and so I have left feeling hungry and disappointed. Our bill did reflect the complaint we made but the point is that I find it unbelievable a large hotel can't cater for this, especially when they had plenty of notice. The regular teas were apparently OK other than the macaroon which was very stale and I noticed other guests had left this too. I found the place to be a beautiful setting, the drawing room was really special but the whole experience which should have been a great was a massive let down. Wouldn't visit again.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank ruthiecullen

Dear ruthiecullen

I want to sincerely apologise for the breakdown in communication between the Drawing Room and our kitchen which resulted in preparations not being made for your dietary requirements. I believe our butler removed your afternoon tea from the bill and provided you with a complimentary drink to apologise for this, but I understand this still left you feeling a little disappointed to have missed out on the day.

I'm sorry to read that you would not visit again because of this experience. We do cater for many different dietary requirements on a regular basis and so I'm sorry that on this occasion we did not live up to our usual high standard of homemade food offerings to suit you. Please be assured that if you do visit again in the future, we will do our utmost to ensure you enjoy your afternoon with us.