“Lunch and Winery Tour”

and up
Wine 101- Wine Education Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Upper Reach is a family owned and operated boutique winery, on the banks of Perth's Swan River. We'd love you to come for a wine tasting at our crisp, clean Cellar Door with huge views of the vineyard. You could be anywhere, but you're only 30 minutes drive from Perth! The only accommodation on a vineyard in the Swan Valley is the Upper Reach Spa Cottage, this historic two bedroom cottage has been fully restored for you to enjoy 'owing a vineyard' for the night- there is just one cottage so your privacy is assured! Our aim at Upper Reach is to produce wine of the highest quality from estate grown fruit, each wine reflecting both the vineyard and the particular vintage.Upper Reach is one of the top Swan Valley wine producers, with an extensive list of wine show awards. We believe that wine is one of life's essentials along with good food, family and friends. Come in for wine tasting in a relaxed, inviting setting every day of the week, 11am until 5pm.
Reviewed 25 May 2018 via mobile

Received a voucher for lunch and a winery tour at Upper Reach Winery for Christmas, had a free Sunday so booked in for a tour and lunch. Started with lunch and as we had a long drive home, and wine tasting to follow, stuck to cloud juice with our meal. Husband and I shared an Indian platter, very tasty, great portion sizes and nice variety of dishes. Followed the platter with rhubarb crumble with ice cream that was so delicious, and such a large portion that I couldn't finish it.

Tasted the port and liquor muscat at the cellar door while waiting for the wine tour to start - both very nice! Lovely small group of six for the tour of the winery, which is family owned and run. Laura was an excellent host who gave us just enough information without getting overly technical. The wine tasting was very pleasant although as the designated driver I only inhaled.

Thoroughly enjoyable way to spend an afternoon, hope to get back soon to stay in the old cottage so that we both can fully appreciate tasting all the wines available.

1  Thank SueHinOz
Laura P, Owner at Upper Reach Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2018

Thank you for the amazing review! We could not be more proud of our vineyard and winery....it has certainly undergone a transformation in the 21 years of owning the property. It is always a treat so show guests around.

I still have dreams about the apple and rhubarb crumble.... so yummy! Im glad you got to enjoy it.

I would recommend a stay at our spa cottage after a long lazy lunch next time you visit, no need to worry about who is driving- so you can enjoy that extra glass of wine at lunch!

See you again soon!

"excellent range"
"the young lady"
"tasting session"

Reviewed 23 May 2018 via mobile

We shared a Mediterranean platter and we're just so pleased with our choice! We also enjoyed our wine tasting with Steve. A beautiful environment and wonderful meal with fabulous staff. Totally recommend!!!

Reviewed 22 May 2018 via mobile

Wine tasting was something we planned to do during our trip to Australia. After researching many different vineyard tours in both Perth and Sydney, we decided to book the tour and wine tasting at Upper Reach and we were not disappointed!!

Laura is a fantastic, friendly host and as well as being very knowledgeable, made us feel very welcome as soon as we arrived! The tour of the vineyard and winery was really interesting and the wine tasting fantastic - Laura asked us about the sort of wines we liked and tailored the tasting to this but also encouraged us to try something new!

I would definitely recommend Upper Reach if you are visiting Perth and want to do wine tasting - the tour & tasting lasts an hour but this is not rushed and Laura was happy to answer all of our questions along the way. I would also recommend staying for lunch & a glass of wine at the restaurant on site.

Thank you Laura for such a great experience - one of the highlights of our trip to Australia!

So thrilled we were one of your trip highlights to Australia! Thank you so much for coming...We hope we are now "your winery" that you visit when you are in Australia.

A visit in summer perhaps next time? the vineyard will be laden with fruit and leaves, and eating on the restaurant deck overlooking the vines is a treat on a sunny day.

I hope you took lots of photos of your time here to remember your day

Reviewed 14 May 2018 via mobile

Laura at the winery was a fantastic hostess. She explained all the wines, let us taste lots of different ones and was both professional and friendly. Given we had planned to only visit one winery we couldn’t have picked a better one. Thank you!

See more reviews
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We visited Upper Reach on Anzac Day and would have to say that the term "Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing" is very appropriate.
Winery is classed as dog friendly which was a big plus in booking with them.
When we arrived the waitress said your table is over there on the veranda and you can tie your dog up down in a grassed area which was mainly out of sight, What!
In no way we're we going to tie our dog so we were contimplating leaving, I questioned as to why seeing that they had outside tables, at this stage the manager came out and said all is fine and we could have a table together.
I decided to do some wine tasting to choose a bottle for lunch, sparkling was nice and priced at $30, told lady that we were having with lunch and whether I purchased from her or at table, she said from her so I went to get my wallet.
At the table waitress came out and said we had to purchase there, noted on the menu that the price was now $50, that's some markup, I questioned the price and was then told I could purchase back at the tasting area, but with a $5 corkage fee.
Platter for $62 was very average and some food dry indicating that maybe it had been cooked quite some time before, with the public holiday loading of 15% extra this took the price to $71.30! Obviously we were aware of the loading when we walked in as there was a sign but the quality definitely needs to up there at that price but sadly this was far from it.
Just on another note that the owners should be aware of, they have a lovely Golden Retriever called Indie who came and visited us many times and was very docile.
After going for a walk after the meal we came back through the grounds and Indie was still there below the verandah, some idiot must have thrown some bones down from their table and as our dog walked past he leapt visciously at our dog but as I had him on-lead I was able to pull him away quickly.
A sign needs to say, "Please do not feed our dog Indie".
As to restaurants charging an extra 15% on public holidays, the extra for us was $10 for just a platter so customers in the restaurant would have paid much more, calculating the amount of customers that were there that is some surcharge. Allowing for a slight increase in wages for staff for the day this is nothing more than a rort.

Laura P, Owner at Upper Reach Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Hi Guvner,
It was lovely meeting you on ANZAC Day, I looked after you at Cellar Door. I own the winery and lease out the Restaurant, though we are two separately managed businesses I am really sorry about the crossed communication and will sort that with their staff.

Indi is my dog, she does love to meet everyone, both people and dogs; this was the first time she has behaved badly; someone gave her a cooked shank bone which she was guarding. I removed the bone as soon as I was informed.

Public Holidays are expensive days to open, staff are paid double time- I always work Cellar Door Public Holidays. In fact prior to 2018 the restaurant was never open on Public Holidays, due to high staff costs.

I hope that I've helped with your concerns and look forward to seeing you at the Cellar Door
Laura