“Far better available”

and up
Wine 101- Wine Education Classes
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Upper Reach is a family owned and operated boutique winery, on the banks of Perth's Swan River. We'd love you to come for a wine tasting at our crisp, clean Cellar Door with huge views of the vineyard. You could be anywhere, but you're only 30 minutes drive from Perth! The only accommodation on a vineyard in the Swan Valley is the Upper Reach Spa Cottage, this historic two bedroom cottage has been fully restored for you to enjoy 'owing a vineyard' for the night- there is just one cottage so your privacy is assured! Our aim at Upper Reach is to produce wine of the highest quality from estate grown fruit, each wine reflecting both the vineyard and the particular vintage.Upper Reach is one of the top Swan Valley wine producers, with an extensive list of wine show awards. We believe that wine is one of life's essentials along with good food, family and friends. Come in for wine tasting in a relaxed, inviting setting every day of the week, 11am until 5pm.
Reviewed 30 April 2018

We visited Upper Reach on Anzac Day and would have to say that the term "Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing" is very appropriate.
Winery is classed as dog friendly which was a big plus in booking with them.
When we arrived the waitress said your table is over there on the veranda and you can tie your dog up down in a grassed area which was mainly out of sight, What!
In no way we're we going to tie our dog so we were contimplating leaving, I questioned as to why seeing that they had outside tables, at this stage the manager came out and said all is fine and we could have a table together.
I decided to do some wine tasting to choose a bottle for lunch, sparkling was nice and priced at $30, told lady that we were having with lunch and whether I purchased from her or at table, she said from her so I went to get my wallet.
At the table waitress came out and said we had to purchase there, noted on the menu that the price was now $50, that's some markup, I questioned the price and was then told I could purchase back at the tasting area, but with a $5 corkage fee.
Platter for $62 was very average and some food dry indicating that maybe it had been cooked quite some time before, with the public holiday loading of 15% extra this took the price to $71.30! Obviously we were aware of the loading when we walked in as there was a sign but the quality definitely needs to up there at that price but sadly this was far from it.
Just on another note that the owners should be aware of, they have a lovely Golden Retriever called Indie who came and visited us many times and was very docile.
After going for a walk after the meal we came back through the grounds and Indie was still there below the verandah, some idiot must have thrown some bones down from their table and as our dog walked past he leapt visciously at our dog but as I had him on-lead I was able to pull him away quickly.
A sign needs to say, "Please do not feed our dog Indie".
As to restaurants charging an extra 15% on public holidays, the extra for us was $10 for just a platter so customers in the restaurant would have paid much more, calculating the amount of customers that were there that is some surcharge. Allowing for a slight increase in wages for staff for the day this is nothing more than a rort.

Laura P, Owner at Upper Reach Winery, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

Hi Guvner,
It was lovely meeting you on ANZAC Day, I looked after you at Cellar Door. I own the winery and lease out the Restaurant, though we are two separately managed businesses I am really sorry about the crossed communication and will sort that with their staff.

Indi is my dog, she does love to meet everyone, both people and dogs; this was the first time she has behaved badly; someone gave her a cooked shank bone which she was guarding. I removed the bone as soon as I was informed.

Public Holidays are expensive days to open, staff are paid double time- I always work Cellar Door Public Holidays. In fact prior to 2018 the restaurant was never open on Public Holidays, due to high staff costs.

I hope that I've helped with your concerns and look forward to seeing you at the Cellar Door
Laura

"excellent range"
"the young lady"
"tasting session"

Reviewed 2 April 2018

You can be sure of a friendly welcome from Laura. Along with her husband Derek, they have created a bit of paradise on the banks of the Swan River.

1  Thank dliesch
Reviewed 8 March 2018

Enjoyed a nice sunday lunch here before it got too crowded. We had some nice wine and enjoyed a huge platter although it was a little dry as there wasn't any dips with it. The food was good though but it did almost take an hour to come out even with only 6 tables full at the time. I would sit outside again where you can enjoy the view over the lawn and the vines.

1  Thank An_Em25
Reviewed 6 March 2018

Every thing about the Upper Reach winery was fabulous from the cellar door to the restaurant.
The cellar door staff were friendly, passionate and knowledgeable about their wines and we ended buying several cases of their delicious wine.
Our shared lunch on the verandah overlooking the vines was full of lovely flavours all served by helpful and friendly staff.
We will return.