All reviews lovely hotel decent size spent a week rooms are small lovely beach table tennis a wonderful holiday choice at breakfast mini golf course ten minutes house wine swimming pool reception staff the main road monastery car sardinia
Reviewed 15 January 2015 via mobile

Amazing first time as a surprise birthday present, welcomed and treated royally. Best steak in Sardegna!!! Perfect weather in June, not very crowded,easy to explore if renting a car. Good value for money. Amazing views! Unforgettable!!Thank you!!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
4  Thank Mihaela M
HOTELMONASTERO, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel il Monastero, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2015

thanks so much. Know that for you it was a great feeling to spend your holidays in the hotel IL MONASTERO is a real source of pride for us. Your emotion has become ours. Thanks again and see you soon!!! :-)

Reviewed 6 November 2014

I can't understand the good reviews of this place-maybe you stayed at a different Monastero...?

I never write these things, even when I have a bad experience, but I'm still plagued with nightmares from this place.

Please note, I have traveled the world, for business and pleasure, and this is the worst place I have ever stayed. I've also lived in Italy for the past 10+ years.

Let's start at the beginning. It took us 30 minutes to find someone to check-in. When we finally did check in we were taken to an "upgraded" room. The room was cute yet the mattress was HORRIBLE. The mattress, intended for a pull out sofa, was placed on a normal bed frame. Since the mattress was too small for the bed frame they placed a slat of wood on top of it. Worst nights sleep I've ever had in my life.

AIR CONDITIONING-- would not work unless we were inside the room... OK-I've lived in Italy for over 13 years, so I'm use to it-- but it didn't work when we were in the room either. We could have left the window open yet the smell of manure from the horse stables across the street would penetrate into our room.

SPA- We didn't even make it to the spa because you had to make a reservation for it. Make a reservation- how do I know when I'll want to go our when I will be returning from the beach?

POOL- Dirty and dilapidated. Water was "greenish", fountains didn't work, mold, growing everywhere... yuck.

RESTAURANT- We stayed 3 nights so we got a "bonus meal" .Although we had our doubts due to the service and cleanliness observed the previous days, we decided to use the meal the last night as we were leaving early in the morning the next day . We had to make a reservation for the "bonus meal" so we did- no problem. The bonus meal does not include wine, which is also understandable, but since we were on vacation we decided to order a bottle. We kindly asked the waitress for the wine list and after she finally returned she asked us what we would like. Since we wanted a wine that matched nicely with our meal we inquired what the meal would consist of and she rudely replied, "I don't know the chef decides", so we asked, "can you ask the chef", her response, "I'm just responsible for the drink and desserts, so no". So we decided to go with a light red wine hoping it would pair nicely with the "surprise meal".

After a good amount of time a nice platter of affettati arrived which was very good. The bad thing was the we were inundated with wasps and were stung multiple times.

We then moved inside to the very hot room indoor dining room... when our bottle of wine finally arrived. Too bad the wine glasses were dirty and still had lipstick all over them.

All in all, I must admit, the meal was actually very good, service and cleanliness- horrible.

BREAKFAST/COLAZIONE: Espresso HORRIBLE. Breakfast food OK but would have been better if we didn't have to eat in the dark because the electricity would keep going out.

I could go on but I won't...the structure has potential the staff and management don't.

The only good thing about this place is the beaches are so beautiful that you don't need to stay spend time in the "hotel".

Not worth your money. If I would return to the area again, I'd look at renting an apartment or staying in an agriturismo.

Good luck- happy vacationing.

Room tip: Stay somewhere else.
Date of stay: September 2014
5  Thank 9llabean

We are really sorry that the Hotel MONASTERY has not found your satisfaction. hank you always with pleasure to all the great reviews that we have honored our guests, thank you too. About the irregularities reported I would just like to explain some things that probably the staff failed to communicate you and I apologize. The SPA is free for our guests from 18 to 20 every day, and as its use has to be a true moment of relaxation has been decided to limit the maximum number of guests present at the same time in the spa and that is why reservations is request. It is also possible to reserve exclusively the SPA a very minimal cost (10 € per person) choosing the time, but also in this case a reservation is required because the center must be cleaned and turned on one hour before the entrance Guests to bring at the right temperature the sauna and turkish bath.

Regarding the pool I would just say that the pool is cleaned daily and the water filtered and disinfected 24/24 and that it is subject to constant supervision by the health authorities who have always attested to the cleanliness of the water. It may happen that in windy weather there is a transport of dust that is deposited in the pool, but that fact, completely random and quite rare, does not cause problems to the use of the pool.
I am unfortunately not able to give explanations regarding the problems you mentioned to the restaurant because your review came too long time after your holiday and I regret that she did not want to be immediately to the management because these issues would be resolved in a instant. However, you yourself took note of the many great reviews and praise almost all the courtesy and professionalism of our staff and that is why we hope to have you again our guest and we can satisfy your desires.

Reviewed 24 September 2014

Enjoyed two lovely weeks at this old refurbished monastery. The staff were each fantastic in their own way, with special thanks to Donatella for her excellent management and Manila for advising us so well and the Chef who produced fantastic sea food dishes amongst other tasty meals. Claudia gave a warm smile when serving breakfast and had excellent skills with my poor Italian pronunciation. Vinny was entertaining and professional.
The hotel has a good swimming pool and sometimes there were comfortable loungers. The room was decorated well albeit a dark room. The hotel is tranquil and eccentric in nature. We will return with friends I hope one day it was such a novel experience.
We travelled without a car as I cannot drive on the opposite side . We relied on public transport to get around ( not all together reliable) or went on foot. Great walks to the beach and back on a daily basis seeing camomile plants, eucalyptus leaves and an great assortment of beautiful flowers and succulents ,cacti and geckos and horses. Lovely huge beach at Kal'moru, heavily populated by Italian people during the weekend but relatively quiet at this time of year with just a few tourists and some local people diving etc. Take a beach brolly as the sun is huge and intense with no shelter anywhere. On the beach is a lovely little hut for food and drinks. The waves can be massive and; there is excellent under water sea life.
Ideally you need a car. You cannot get cigarettes anywhere if on foot for love or money and thanks to the hotel staff for saving us in this situation.
We did not want to leave this beautiful place.

Room tip: Rooms on the first floor have a great view
Date of stay: September 2014
4  Thank amanda947
Il M, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel il Monastero, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2014

Thank you very much for your review which is for us the best reward for our work. We hope to have you back so soon again our guest.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

My partner and I were on a road trip in Sardinia and by a chance we stopped in Il Monastero. It is wonderful place close to the south east coast. As beautiful as it can be, awesome beach like swimming pool. And the best service ever! After we had left the hotel, we realised that we forgot our passport there, but we couldn't go back because we were taking a ferry from Olbia the next day. The staff was so kind to organise a courier to deliver our passports to our next hotel in the mainland without any difficulties.
Thank you so much. Without your help our trip would probably have been ruined.
César

3  Thank Cesar D
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Right, first off, yes you need a car, definitely, as its quite remote. Rent from the airport and your at the hotel after a half an hour drive. Great reception staff, extremely helpful and informative about the area. Rooms are all you could possibly want and very charming and full of character. I can't understand the negative comments about the restaurant as it was some of the best food I've ever eaten. All fresh and full of flavour. Seafood linguine, pizzas and the beef steaks were particular highlights. Restaurant staff, again, we're great very helpful and friendly. Pool area was perfect. I took my girlfriend there for her birthday at the beginning of June and it was one of the best holidays we have ever had. Can't recommend enough ! Enjoy!

Trip type: Travelled as a couple