Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
kirks73
Nelson, New Zealand

Amazing location and cocktails

4.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 5 Oct 2023via mobile
Having read some of the previous reviews, we weren’t sure what to expect as it had been booked by our travel agent.
Our welcome by the office staff wasn’t particularly friendly and after a wee mix up with the dates of our booking we were put in the Isabella room. It was very spacious with a gorgeous view over the water. Our bed wasn’t the most comfortable and we moved to the room that had been booked for us which was much better.
The bar staff were awesome - very friendly and could mix a good cocktail or two! The meals were pretty good with the menu changing daily.
Hubby went snorkelling all three days we were there and saw three turtles on our last day just out of the resort.
Yes, it needs a bit of love but we were comfortable enough, loved the location, enjoyed the friendly bar and kitchen staff, had cold cocktails and beer so we were very, very happy and would happily visit again.
Totally recommend having a car to get around.
Date of stay: October 2023
Room Tip: Rent a car.
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
  • StayForLong
  • Lol.travel
75.9 km from Stevensons at Manase
View more hotels in Manase
All reviews fish air con down the road pizza beach villa suite turtles accommodation fale deck sand snorkel locals sunrise euro
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 August 2023 via mobile

Villa unit is half a small building, neighbours’ conversations can be heard. The beach access is directly out the door, amazing! Enjoyed seeing sunrise and sunset from the same beach! Staff are lovely. Pool is exceptionally beautiful at night, however sunk a little? Infinity edge is not level. Dining area currently needs upgrading, but it seems in progress. Meals were among the most expensive and were perfectly nice but nothing special, could definitely use a chef upgrade. A good solid three star accommodation (for a four star price).

Room tip: Some villas had no sea view. Get Villa 1-7, not 8+.
Date of stay: August 2023
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 August 2023

Reception indifferent dragged our bags through sand to find our own way to fales screened between dirty white palings. Fales with rusted roofs and shonky doors. The air con only saving grace to a very tired weird interior. Clean linen but every pillow inside cases brown/yellow with old sweat and stinking. Shower was cold 2 nights of 3. Not once was the room serviced. Food was OK but nothing spectacular for the price drinks were lean...no pineapple orange or other juices. My cocktail was some undrinkable mix from a bottle. If you want a kayak it has to be dragged 15 metres down steps and forget snorkelling. Pool was good. Pleased to leave.

Room tip: Look elsewhere
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2023

I wish I'd listened to the other reviewers! I read some of the reviews but the property looked great still, so chose to ignore the reviews. Big mistake.

When we checked in, the reception was not welcoming and less than friendly - more like an interruption to what she was doing out the back (which continued each time we visited reception).

The fale looked cute albeit a little rundown - ie. corrugated iron showing through under the thatching etc. It was nice to be almost on the beach however with the dump trucks going past constantly (less than 2mtrs from our bed), it didn't make for a relaxing stay. Continuing with the fale: it hat mozzie nets which were great and definitely required, however they were full of holes. There were supposedly mosquito coils and matches but we had to go and ask for them (which was an effort as no one was at reception despite them saying come anytime). We asked the bar and they said they'll ask reception but nothing ever eventuated. We had to ask 4 times before we got anything ... 3hrs later! The top of the sink was sitting at around 1.4m which meant when washing your face, you had to stand on tip toes (and I'm not short) and water still ran down your arms due to the angle. My kids had no hope as at 8 & 10, the basin was taller and as tall as them both! You could also basically lift the whole sink out which was noticed by bumping it and the whole thing moved ... just sitting on the benchtop, as was the toilet. Each time you sat on it, it rocked and moved! The shower looked authentic and rustic at first glance however the stones in the bottom were in no way flat and were extremely bumpy and hard underfoot and the shower mixer (no mixing though as cold water only) came on constantly at every tiny touch. The PVC pipe dispensing the water was visible so looked very cheaply done. The room was not serviced, and when we asked for it to be done, it was met with a begrudging attitude like 'how dare you ask for such a thing'!! ... when it was finally serviced the following day, the beds were made nicely however the dishes which were all stored in the fridge were still dirty and no soap or amenities had been replaced. The soap leads me to the next point - rats! we discovered this after the first night when we woke up the next morning to find the soap bar with teeth marks all over it, and rat poo on the fridge. When I mentioned this ... the response was just void ... like 'so what' ... almost like it's expected to have rats! One of the guests said "well at least the cats are doing their job" when the cat named Samedi brought a rat into the restaurant during dinner on our second night and left it under their table! Again the staff were very nonchalant about it, and didn't do anything. The cat took the rat on its own accord. Daily we found our rat/s ate more and more of our soap and on the last day the soap, which was a full size soap bar, not just a small hotel soap, was entirely missing! We eventually found it when packing up and doing a full room check and it was around the back of the very high sink covered in mud and dirt! It's probably still there! The lighting in the bathroom was bad and the mirror was terrible. But nice to fall asleep to hear the ocean right beside us. Pity we couldn't walk the 3mtrs to the water though to have a nice dip in the ocean morning or night as we had to cross the construction drive which was all red dirt / mud leaving totally dirty feet. Even wearing shoes, it wasn't just the soles that got dirty but everything and big rocks but on the foreshore so made it hard to get there unfortunately.

The restaurant was ok - service was very slow, but the food was great. Breakfast not a lot of choice and hot food wasn't the hottest but all in all not a bad breakfast. We did love our dinners, and they were huge! Drinks: I said to my sons they could have a mocktail but when they asked for a virgin pina colada, they were told there was no pineapple juice. They then decided on a lemon juice. There was no lemon juice. They then asked for an orange juice. No orange juice. I asked for a glass of red wine. Sorry we're out of red wine by the glass. When i contested this and said they should definitely be providing this, the ended up opening up a bottle of substandard red - more like a very cheap cooking wine and sold this to me at the same price. Not good.

Now for the piece de résistance! The construction work! Massive earthworks going on right between the pool and the beach, doing I don't know what. An old dump truck went past all day, everyday past our room and into the main guest area beside the pool and the noise was absolutely deafening. And the digger working there constantly. My son was in the small paddling pool and I was sitting on a lounge chair 4mtrs away and he got his foot stuck in the return of the pool ended up ripping the whole heel open and had blood everywhere (again the staff didn't seem to care and took an hour to get a single small band aid), and he was yelling at me to help and I couldn't even hear him due to the digger! Was probably the worst hotel experience ever .. I went to reception to say something and again they couldn't care less. i asked how long it went for and they said 9.00am until 5.00pm. Great! No relaxing by the pool or the beach to be done for the entire stay! I said we'd go kayaking and snorkeling. When I asked if there was any compensation, she just looked at me like I was a freak, and said no. I hired some snorkels for the kids at 30 tala each and then had to pay a whopping 400 tala cash for them both for a deposit. again asking if there was any compensation due to the works going on and she said no. kids couldn't use them anyway as they were adults size and way to big.

I tried to play pool with the kids one night, but there were doubles of a lot of the balls, bad pool cues, no chalk (not expected there), no white ball. making it near impossible.

Finally I'd just got out of the shower in my room on the day we went to leave and was naked just about to put some clothes on, and our transfer driver was standing at the end of our fale, apologising for being there (1/2 hr early). Obviously the hotel had given him our room number and sent him there!!!

So apart from the food, and a great location on a beautiful beach (if you could see it through the earth moving machines), it was a terrible stay with lots of bad attitudes! Restaurant manager was nice and friendly though and tried to help!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Janina T
Reviewed 8 July 2023

Good:
Room was well furnished, good location with a beautiful beach.

Bad:
I had to wait an hour past check-in time to receive my room.
The wear and tear was really apparent: everything was pretty old, room doors won’t open and close smoothly, the toilet didn’t flush properly, etc.
No WiFi.
The shower is weirdly designed with stone walls and a step in the middle, and instead of a shower head it’s like a rain-gutter.
The food was terrible: complementary breakfast is just eggs, toasts with butter, and croissants; the lunch I had tasted bad and you could tell it wasn’t fresh but rather microwaved, and at check-out they tried to overcharge me for it double.
There was construction going on near the pool and restaurant, which was not disclosed when booking the room.

All these things would normally be just a nuisance, but not when you pay more than USD200 a night.

Date of stay: July 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 July 2023

This resort has gone downhill - stayed in one on the villas - bed was not comfy, sheets didn't fit, vanity taps barely attached, bar food was average - ate at other resorts, pool was a cloudy murky green - expensive to stay here - rip off

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple