“Perfect way to experience the true Bahamas”
other travellers have booked this property
Culmer Cottage facing the sea A view of Tarpum Bay from the fish dock
Culmer Cottage facing the sea
A view of Tarpum Bay from the fish dock
view from bedroom at Culmer Cottage
living room
living room, dining table, stairs, love seat
kitchen faces the sea
queen bedroom airconditioned
smaller  double bedroom
My caretaker, Kervin Culmer who can take you fishing!
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
KaiReef
Melbourne, Florida
“Perfect way to experience the true Bahamas”
Reviewed 29 July 2017 for a stay in July 2017

If you looking for an opportunity to have a slice of what the Bahamas are like without the full explosion of commercialism, this is the place. A great example of how Bahamians live, with the feel of a quaint true fishing village. Tarpum Bay was a joy. The people who live here are wonderful, pleasant and always helpful. The entire experience left us thinking, this must have been what it was like to live in a time and place before money or inanimate items were the most important things to a person. We will be going back because everyone should have an opportunity to spend some time living on true island time. Our 4 and 6 year olds had a great time spending the days playing in Tarpum Bay itself, or on the other numerous outstanding beaches. The house has a great history and has all the basics required for a comfortable stay for two adults and two young children. Only one room is air conditioned, but this was more than adequate with the cool breezy evenings. Although it would get warm in the afternoons, we didn't spend our time in the home during the day, as we were too busy touring and investigating the island and its people and beaches. Mr. Kervin and his wife, Mrs. Brenda are true characters, straight out of a Hemingway short story. WIth their knowledge and hospitality, you will have everything you need for a wonderful stay. If you are looking for a resort stay, this is not it. If you are looking for a comfortable, cozy slice of Bahamian life, this is the place.

30 Jul 2017
Thank you so much. I believe you captured life in Culmer Cottage in a Bahamian settlement perfectly. It's hard to describe the benefits of interacting with local residents and getting a slice of a quiet, beautiful island life. You are right, this is not a five star resort, but I think the experience provided far outweighs the luxury of any resort. It is especially great that your children could enjoy it too. I will be happy to welcome you back!!

'
drl201744...
North Port, Florida
“Charming cottage in the heart of local village with great view of the bay.”
Reviewed 12 July 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Great location and easy to access interesting spots on the island. Village people were friendly, helpful and area was safe but allowed a view of real Bahamian life. Cottage overlooked Tarpum Bay and was well-equiped to meet all of our needs. We enjoyed having the caretaker Miss Brenda taking care of the place and providing wonderful meals. We really enjoyed our visit and are planning another stay in the near future.

13 Jul 2017
Thank you so much. I am happy you chose to experience a bit of the real Bahamas. Eleuthera and its people are very special. I am glad you are returning.
akarpyn
Wallingford, Pennsylvania
“Clean simple home + beautiful view = amazing experience”
Reviewed 16 March 2017 for a stay in January 2017
person found this review helpful

My children and I lived in this home for almost 2 months. We never knew Lynn the owner before we arrived but she did everything in her power to make us feel welcome, help us get acclimated and provided us with a wealth of information in advance of our trip. As you can imagine traveling to another country with two children was quite an ordeal! The Tarpum Bay community however made us feel at home. This area is home to some of the most welcoming, warm friendly people you could ask for. It certainly looks different than a standard American suburban neighborhood, but if you can stand to put your judgment aside, you will soon realize that the area is extremely safe the residents love to talk (say hello!) and the calm lapping water and warm weather is absolutely priceless. This home suited us very well and the caretakers we're always available when we had a question or needed a hand with something. The house is certainly not opulent, but has all the standard amenities including an air-conditioned bedroom, cable tv and a full sized kitchen, which makes for a lovely stay. I highly recommend this home. It is clean, safe, close to the beach and offers a true experience in the Bahamas.

16 Mar 2017
Thank you Allison. I am glad you and your family enjoyed Culmer Cottage and Tarpum Bay. It is a special island with special people.
Because I tried to preserve the historical construction and character, I did not make my house into a fancy modern house which would have necessitated changing the footprint. So my house is a seaside cottage with some charm. Glad you enjoyed it!
Kevin R
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect beach house and location!”
Reviewed 19 January 2017 for a stay in November 2016

My girlfriend and I stayed here for Thanksgiving week for a relaxing yet adventurous tropical vacation. The house was perfect. It was very clean when we arrived, had everything needed for when we cooked, good wifi and cable (even watched Thanksgiving football at night!) plus it is in the best location. Tarpum Bay itself is beautiful but we loved being less than 45 mins away from tons of beaches north or south. We ended up seeing 10 beaches over the course of our week long trip.

The house has a beautiful balcony overlooking the bay and new/comfortable furniture. One of the most helpful parts was the binder the owner has put together. She listed restaurants, beaches, things to do etc. By the end of the trip I felt like a local. Also her beach book that gives very valuable directions for finding the BEST remote beaches was a huge help. Most of the pages have hand written notes/tips on how to reach the beach. We even received a "How did you find this beach?" at one that we visited.

There is a great convenience store across the street (Berts) and good restaurants near by (.5 mi north Dolphin Blow Hole, Barbies takeaway across the street and Bayside which had some delicious conch salad!)

I would definitely recommend staying here for an authentic Bahamian getaway.

20 Jan 2017
So glad you enjoyed Culmer Cottage and Eleuthera. Thank you for your kind review. I always say, "Eleuthera is not for everyone," but I am so glad it was for you!
mrskpyoun...
Invermere, Canada
“Amazing Location”
Reviewed 8 January 2017 for a stay in December 2016

Spent two weeks in Tarpum Bay. Enjoyed exploring the southern part of Eleuthera. Calmer Cottage is very close to the dock for the fresh catch of the day. Grocery store behind the house as well as a restaurant. The weather was a pleasant 78 degrees everyday. The house cooled down nicely at night. Only one bedroom has air-conditioning.
We had a lot of ants during our stay. Upstairs bathroom as well as always in the kitchen. There is no bar-be-qu to cook supper. The selection of pots, pans, and utensils for cooking were very sub-standard. All the teflon frying pans were scratched up badly and the pans were all warped so the food cook not cook evenly. The can opener was so rusty, we dared not use it, as the whisk. The smell of moth balls in the kitchen cupboards was so overwhelming we did not want to open any drawers.We had to wash all dishes before we used them when we first arrived.
The local " caretakers" were not friendly nor helpful. They phoned us 8 am Christmas morning basically demanding that we pay them $50 for a terrible meal they had prepared for us the day we checked in. The meal that the owner had told us would be complimentary.
I feel sorry for the owner too because I hear it is difficult to have your property taken care of while you are away living in a different country.
It was a cute house, but we had some issues with the kitchen not being cleaned or stocked very nicely. We were paying almost $260 Canadian a night to stay there

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
16 Mar 2017
It has taken me a while to know how to respond to this review. I came down immediately after you left to inspect my cottage. I found that the air conditioner was broken, and it is brand new. The pans were just fine except for one stainless steel pan someone had burned. As for ants. This is the tropics and I warn everyone not to leave anything out. We do have critters here. I have no clue what the issue is with mothballs in drawers. There is a small bag under the sink only. My caretakers, usually very popular with guests, apparently got off on the wrong foot. I am trying hard not to be defensive; however, this review is most unusual. I am sorry your experience was not happier. I do try to work with all my guests prior to arrival letting them know what to bring, and then I leave a comprehensive notebook of maps and helpful information.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing