We had contacted the management of this bungalow prior to booking as we were travelling with our three young children and needed somewhere that would suit their needs. We were told that the company could not offer any child friendly equipment for any of their properties. We therefore opted for this bungalow as we could avoid stairs.
On arrival, we were disappointed to discover that the "private garden" was not enclosed at all. It was L-shaped with the bulk of it running down the side of the property and out towards the road. That coupled with the fact that there was dog poop and cigarette butts on the grass made it unusable for our young children.
Inside things got worse. None of the windows were lockable which meant that our six year old son had climbed out the window within minutes of our arrival with our two year old trying to follow him but we thankfully caught him in time.
There was no bath in the property so we weren't able to wash our youngest boys properly for the duration of the stay.
The floors throughout the entire property were slippery (tiled or high gloss varnish). Electric sockets were all at ground level and without covers. All the beds were higher off the ground than standard which meant that we had to keep our two year old son in our bed for fear of him falling out of bed.
The radiator in the living room was extremely rusted and we were afraid of our kids touching it. What we found most shocking was the bucket of sticks that had been left for us to use as firewood. It had been made up of a broken up wooden box and still had the plastic packaging and nails attached. We were fortunate that we had noticed it first and were able to move it before one of the kids had got hurt.
We had booked this trip as relaxing break after a very tough year. Unfortunately due to the lack of concern given towards Health and Safety, our stay was extremely stressful. The management were aware that we were travelling with children aged 1, 2 and 6 years of age. I think it's diabolical that we were allowed to continue with the booking knowing how unsuitable for children the property actually was.