“Lovely meeting spot for afternoon tea on a hot day.”

Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Batesford
Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

We didn't know what to expect as we proceeded along the long driveway. There was ample parking & then we spotted the shady terrace attached to the building. Our little dog was ecstatic that he could sit under the table while we chatted to our daughter. ( It was quiet with excellent, friendly service.) She had an iced chocolate while we drank cappuccinos. We shared a chocolate torte & a brownie with cream - both delicious.
Our daughter reported that the other food available was equally good so I suspect this will become a favourite "halfway" meeting spot .

Lynne M, Owner at Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2017

Thank you for your review, Leonie, I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. The torte is a weekend special, and is very popular. We put it on Saturdays and Sundays in response to customer requests.

Reviewed 17 July 2016 via mobile

We visited here after a friend telling us they make excellent hot chocolate. We thought we would try the lunch menu. It's not expensive $14.50 is about the most expensive meal. Range of pies was good. Some quiches and I had the plowmans lunch. Soup of the day was Chicken rice and veg . The plowmans was ok the soup was good. The young girl that served me at the counter could not crack a smile and did want to be working on a Sunday . The milkshake I ordered came out as I was finishing my meal but it was excellent. The chocolate in the counter looks good . If you decide to bring kids please make sure they are seated and well behaved as several signs mention about kids staying seated. Will probably comeback and give the sweets a try. Use the entertainment card

Reviewed 6 July 2016

The staff were friendly, the venue crowded and a bit noisy but it is a lovely environment on a horse stud just out of Geelong. Food was medium priced and excellent and served fairly quickly. The main problem was we were crowded in on a long table, no elbow room. However it was an enjoyable time together, Then our 20 seater bus took us for a drive past the always excellent Dog Rocks and the rolling Barrabool Hills, always lovely, then back to Geelong.

1  Thank Wendy R
Reviewed 18 February 2016

Nice spot to catch up with friends. Have always found the service to be slow and the menu is limited but nice. Can be very noisy.

Lynne M, Owner at Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

I'm glad you enjoy catching up with friends, and have visited us on several occasions. It is unfortunate that you are not served in the time that you would want, but I would need to know about it at the time so that I can analyse the situation and see what can be done to improve things in future. If a table of, say, ten people is served just before you, there will be a delay until they are all served, as we have to serve people in order. If it happened again, I would appreciate knowing about it so that I can determine whether it is a situation that can be remedied.

It's good that you like the food; most of it is made by me, except for the pies which we order from a Melbourne company. We sampled a lot of pies before we settled on the ones we have now. I do add other items from time to time. We recently had vegetable roulades and terrines, and in the colder months we have soup and, sometimes, stews. Unfortunately, without a chef, there just is not the time to make a larger range.

Nearly all the cakes are also made by me, usually at night when most people are going to bed. I aim to have all the shelves of the cake fridge filled, plus at least two items on the counter. In addition, there are the chocolate desserts that are listed on the menu, and I believe we have a comprehensive range of drinks.

Yes, I am aware that it can be noisy, particularly if people are having a good time. To absorb sound, we would have to have carpet on the floor, fabric chairs, and curtains at the windows. We put cloths on the tables, which has helped a little, but we believe that part of the attraction is the view, so we have large windows and no curtains. On the whole, we don't notice a great deal of noise, it just depends on the day.

I hope you will continue to meet your friends here, and please speak to me privately if you have concerns.

See more reviews
Reviewed 26 January 2016 via mobile

Have visited a couple of times now and really enjoy this place. Came for the chocolates and keep coming back for the coffee and the food!
Service is very good, plenty of space and 3 different areas to sit. It is looking out onto a horse farm and it is nice to see some of these horses from the decking.
The viewing area at the back of the car park looks out into the Moorabool river area of Fyansford also worth the look.
A great venue for friends and a quiet cuppa with some lunch or afternoon tea. Chocolates to go is a given!

Lynne M, Owner at Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2016

I'm glad you have enjoyed your visits here. We agree that the setting is lovely. Unfortunately we do not get much time to enjoy the view, but we have had some spectacular thunderstorms lately. We are always experimenting with new flavours for you to sample. Easter stock is on the shelves now.