“Nice for a Catch Up”

Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Batesford
Reviewed 18 February 2016

Nice spot to catch up with friends. Have always found the service to be slow and the menu is limited but nice. Can be very noisy.

Lynne M, Owner at Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2016

I'm glad you enjoy catching up with friends, and have visited us on several occasions. It is unfortunate that you are not served in the time that you would want, but I would need to know about it at the time so that I can analyse the situation and see what can be done to improve things in future. If a table of, say, ten people is served just before you, there will be a delay until they are all served, as we have to serve people in order. If it happened again, I would appreciate knowing about it so that I can determine whether it is a situation that can be remedied.

It's good that you like the food; most of it is made by me, except for the pies which we order from a Melbourne company. We sampled a lot of pies before we settled on the ones we have now. I do add other items from time to time. We recently had vegetable roulades and terrines, and in the colder months we have soup and, sometimes, stews. Unfortunately, without a chef, there just is not the time to make a larger range.

Nearly all the cakes are also made by me, usually at night when most people are going to bed. I aim to have all the shelves of the cake fridge filled, plus at least two items on the counter. In addition, there are the chocolate desserts that are listed on the menu, and I believe we have a comprehensive range of drinks.

Yes, I am aware that it can be noisy, particularly if people are having a good time. To absorb sound, we would have to have carpet on the floor, fabric chairs, and curtains at the windows. We put cloths on the tables, which has helped a little, but we believe that part of the attraction is the view, so we have large windows and no curtains. On the whole, we don't notice a great deal of noise, it just depends on the day.

I hope you will continue to meet your friends here, and please speak to me privately if you have concerns.

Reviewed 26 January 2016 via mobile

Have visited a couple of times now and really enjoy this place. Came for the chocolates and keep coming back for the coffee and the food!
Service is very good, plenty of space and 3 different areas to sit. It is looking out onto a horse farm and it is nice to see some of these horses from the decking.
The viewing area at the back of the car park looks out into the Moorabool river area of Fyansford also worth the look.
A great venue for friends and a quiet cuppa with some lunch or afternoon tea. Chocolates to go is a given!

Lynne M, Owner at Moorabool Valley Chocolate By Design, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2016

I'm glad you have enjoyed your visits here. We agree that the setting is lovely. Unfortunately we do not get much time to enjoy the view, but we have had some spectacular thunderstorms lately. We are always experimenting with new flavours for you to sample. Easter stock is on the shelves now.

Reviewed 28 December 2015

This is a quiet, restful place nestled unseen beside Geelong Ring Road and Ballarat Rd. It has a simple menu of beautifully home cooked scones, quiches, pies , ploughman lunch as well as cakes, desserts and a great assortment of homemade chocolates. A great place to chat and relax with friends. Indoor and outdoor eating available. It is very much like a friendly 'tea room' . On weekends bookings are advisable. Not open on evenings.,

Reviewed 12 July 2015 via mobile

Lovely lunch on a rainy day. Came as a group of 8. Food was pretty good, but my mum's pie seemed to have been microwaved, shame. Service was okay. The girl training on the register was real sweet. Desserts and chocolates were great! Overall it was a good time.

1  Thank ashmirae