“Homage for a Saint. ”

Mary Mackillop Place
More attraction details
Owner description: Mary MacKillop Place, in Mount Street North Sydney, Australia is a place unlike any other. This beautiful tranquil haven is where the tomb of the iconic Australian and first Saint Mary MacKillop is located. It is a historical ‘must see’ destination that gives you an insight into where this extraordinary woman lived and spent the final years of her life. This unique destination incorporates a spiritual site, café/gift shop, museum, beautiful garden and historic Mary MacKillop Memorial Chapel.
Reviewed 1 May 2018 via mobile

When I visited Mary Mackillop'Place, I didn't have any religious affection. Because of her goodness, for her lifestyle, for her determination, holy, or not holy I respect her. Australia is proud of her as the first and only Catholic Saint of her homeland. In this respect Australia isn't a lucky continent. Hungarian and other European kings were savagely killing their opponents, in the name of Jesus, and calling it a missionary work, and therefore the church made them holy. That time Australia wasn't discovered by the whites, so it missed this opportunity. The gentle but definite Mary is much more appealing to me. She did what she did by teaching and not with violence.
In the garden of the complex I found a modest white flower, that I photographed, since looking at it, immediately Mary came to my mind.
The museum dedicated to her is an amazing informative place, summoning a lot of memories of Mary and her age.
In the coffee and adjacent gift shop, everyone can find culinary and spiritual food and small gift items.
This place also offers nice and clean accommodation as well.
In the chapel you can say a prayer in front of Saint Mary MacKillop.

All reviews
"st joseph"
"busy city"
"great place to stay"
in 2 reviews
"north sydney train station"
"amazing woman"
"holy place"
"shared bathroom"
"quiet street"

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

I was cynical and did not want to stay here! Bloody nuns bashed me up when I was a kid so why stay at one of their places now? The other half won this discussion so we arrived for a night in a one bedroom apartment as I began my vitriolic review in my head, ready to pay the Catholics back!
Guess what? I have not one single complaint, I hate to admit!
This is a quiet, calm and classy motel in walking distance to the train station. It is very cheap by comparison to Sydney prices! Exceptional cleanliness and order. A great breakfast thrown in. Hot and tasty meal in the evening, white linen tablecloths and served with NO attitude!
I will return!!

3  Thank Shell M
Reviewed 15 April 2018 via mobile

What a calm, peaceful and respectful place. I stayed here for a work-related week. The facilities were clean, comfortable and pleasant. I felt happy with my accommodation which included an ensuite bathroom, large room with double bed and kitchen. The grounds were absolutely beautiful. The staff were very polite and helpful. Lovely stay.

1  Thank Honey123bee
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Mary Mackillop Place is on a quiet street in North Sydney. It is near the resting place of St Mary Mackillop, Australia’s saint. A chapel is inside the compound. There is also a museum & boutique in the compound. The staff is very courteous & helpful. Bedroom was clean. Linens were clean. Washer & dryer on the premises. Breakfast buffet is offered. Metro station, shops and restaurants are nearby. If you want peace & quiet in the city, this is where you’re gonna stay. Will definitely come back to stay