“Great ice cream ”
Review of Roughans

Roughans
Ranked #4 of 6 Dessert in Portstewart
Reviewed 30 May 2018 via mobile

Never heard of this place before however found it and tried their black ice cream which is to die for .The usual places are also on the sea front but don’t go past this place for excellence

Reviewed 19 May 2018 via mobile

Called in after the fireworks for a coffee and an ice-cream. While I was being served, my friend over hear A quite young female member of staff. Telling 2 of her friend to put chocolate bars into there jackets,before someone seen them stealing. As I didn't see this with my own eye, I cannot really be sure what happened, but it did look a bit strange after my friend had pointed them out too me.

What I was really shocked by, was when we went to pay for are order by card. The girl serving us asked if it was ok, to use contactless. When we said it was fine, she run down to the back of the shop and went up stairs with our bank card. After a few minutes she returned with our card, but no
receipt of the transaction. When I complain about this, the young girl did go and get a copy of the receipt. I find it very bad practice when one staff member is letting friend steal. And another is taking a bank card away from view of the owner. I mean their was nothing to stop her, taking the card details and using it to pay for things online. You wouldn't let a strange take your bank card away from view, so why would a shop assistant do it.

2  Thank lbuggy1967
Roughans, Owner at Roughans, responded to this reviewResponded 21 May 2018

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that you have had a negative experience in Roughans. The credit card terminal downstairs went offline temporarily. The staff member was under the impression that you had given permission for her to process the contactless transaction upstairs. However we accept that as the shop was packed you may not have understood this meant taking the card out of sight up to the coffee shop to use the other machine. The staff member recognised that there should have been more clarity around where the transaction was to take place and has apologised. We will amend our procedures to ensure this kind of confusion doesn’t happen again.

However, I have heard from other staff and customers that your behaviour was intimidating, aggressive and completely unacceptable. You confronted her in the private staff area where you had no right to be, accused her of dishonesty and despite her becoming visibly upset you persisted in your accusations that she could have copied your card details. You then repeated these accusations in front of other customers. Regarding the lack of receipt, she simply forgot as she was in a rush to get back downstairs. The receipt was reprinted for you quite easily.
The staff member concerned has years of retail experience and an excellent track record. The other incident of shoplifting which you claim has been explained to my satisfaction.

Reviewed 10 May 2018

Like so many people we have been visiting on a regular basis, but in the last couple of weeks, I've been served by the older member of staff (not the owner), who has scratched his head a number of times, wiped his nose with his hand, just before I (have) to give him my order. :-( the coffee wasn't too hot, and we had just got a large scone to relax and enjoy. The other matter I wasn't happy with, was we paid with contact less card, and he zapps it before he asks us, without us seeing the amount on the scene. Thankfully it was the correct amount, but this shouldn't happen.

2  Thank Emily S
Reviewed 27 April 2018

Staff very pleasant and views are stunning. I came here for a coffee with my friend to study and it was very enjoyable and relaxing in the midst of dissertation stress!

Reviewed 18 March 2018 via mobile

I visited Roughan’s last Thursday and was very impressed with the cafe and shop . I had a really tasty poached eggs, sausage breakfast . The Americano coffee was superb . Also loved the crockery . View is wonderful and nice mixture of comfy chairs and tables / chairs. The shop / post office on the ground floor has the best array of greetings cards I’ve come across .