“Great cafe Great view”
Review of Roughans

Roughans
Ranked #4 of 6 Dessert in Portstewart
Reviewed 7 December 2017 via mobile

Love visiting this first floor cafe Have to climb the stairs to get here Family fav is the Bap special with a cold drink and choice of hot drink My son loves the chilli chicken panini and the carrot cake and other pastries are delish Best of all is the view across the Atlantic sea Also if you fancy some homemade ice cream downstairs one of my old favourites is the Seabuckthorn

Reviewed 14 August 2017 via mobile

A welcome alternative to the other more well known brand. Service was excellent and the ice cream was tasty!!

Reviewed 14 August 2017

We had a light lunch in the cafe upstairs here at the weekend. The staff were really pleasant and accommodating. The view out on to the bay is fantastic and we were fortunate enough to have a bright sunny day to enjoy it.
The food was ok. We only had panini and sandwiches. The choice was somewhat limited, for example there was no lettuce for my chicken salad panini. The coleslaw on the plate was warm so needless to say I didn't eat it nor did the others in our party.
I wouldn't recommend it but neither would I warn you not to go here. Perhaps don't expect too much and you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

A friend and I visited Roughan's on Wednesday past and had a pretty disappointing experience.
I had been telling him all about Roughan's as it genuinely is one of my favourite ice-cream/coffee shops on the prom; the views, the food, it's all usually very good, but not so this day.
We went to the counter to order some ice-creams and take them upstairs. My friend wanted one of the chocolate covered cones - the young guy behind the counter spent some time searching through boxes trying to find them and after a couple of minutes, said they must be sold out. This was fine, my friend settled for an ordinary cone- no problem, I'm sure they'd been busy over the last few days of warm weather in NI. After selecting his flavour - (they do have a great variety of flavours on offer) - my friend asked for a flake - the guy looked for some and again said they must be out of them. A little disappointing... I then proceeded to order a tub of ice-cream and with my friend waiting on me for that brief time his ice-cream had started to melt a little so we asked if they had any napkins... you guessed it... 'sorry we're out of napkins'! A coffee and ice-cream parlour out of napkins...?! Frankly, it was a bit embarassing both for our server and for me having ranted and raved about this place!
We went upstairs to find it wasn't particularly busy; tables were however sitting uncleared and some of the young female staff were just pottering about behind the counter whilst one was having lunch with a friend in the corner. Everyone is entitled to their lunch break but when a place isn't busy, uncleared tables stand out like a sore thumb! Overall, it all just felt a bit juvenile/shoddy and disorganised... Most of the staff seemed quite young - now I'm not slighting them as they may well be very pleasant etc. but the whole place just needs better organisation or possibly a more-experienced leader to oversee things.

1  Thank lee770
Reviewed 10 July 2017 via mobile

The view from the cafe is amazing!
While there is not an extensive menu for lunch, it excels in what it provides. Not over priced like some other cafes in areas.
Scones are freshly prepared and great. Only thing I would like is proper fresh cream with them instead of the aerosol type.
Good sandwiches and coffee is of great quality.