“Wrong pie ... no A/C ... still not bad”

Bay of Islands Bakeries
Ranked #5 of 6 Quick Bites in Kawakawa
Description: Please notify me when I can post my review, this place is excellent.
Reviewed 11 February 2020

We ran in here to grab a quick bite on a short tour bus stop in Kawakawa. We decided to try the meat pies since we'd been hearing they're popular in NZ. They were pretty good, I guess, considering that's not something we'd normally eat. But I got one from the case that was supposed to be steak and cheese (behind that sign/label) and it was actually chicken and cheese.

There are a few places to sit and eat but not many. It's small, and they didn't have air conditioning so it was really uncomfortably warm.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (28)

Reviewed 18 August 2019 via mobile

mean paua pies and good prices I would go again any day my one little tick was that the chicken sandwich was dry other than that pretty good

Date of visit: August 2019
1  Thank chrisandbrayden
Reviewed 8 August 2019

Came across this place during the Twin Coast Cycle Trail and everything was good value looking at the food coming out and the relative cost. I had to have a pie but did not want to eat it there but managed to have it about 20 mins out of town amongst some farmland. What a gorgeous pie... paua, creme, cheese and a lovely oily pastry. A pie just like in the old days, only problem was I only got one.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed 20 August 2018

A: the Train station café was shut. looking forward to their lovely food. shame.

B Chose the Bakery/café. Lukewarm staff service, we ended up choosing a pie and chips from the warmer, they were barely warm. Had to ask for mine to be popped in the microwave for a top up, or she offered to get me another from the warmer but said it would still be cold. crikey this is at 10.am. My hot chocolate was ok tho. Mental note to self to not go back there again.

Date of visit: August 2018
Reviewed 17 May 2018

Always a dilemma choosing between the cream buns and donuts, both of which are overflowing with fresh cream. The pies this time didn't seem as good as in the past but it is still great value given the prices. Stop here for a bit of real New Zealand.

Date of visit: April 2018