All reviews mayan village tortillas fed pool off the beaten path local community big hug tranquil place to stay two twin beds from scratch other guests mayan family tropical paradise an incredible experience charming colonial outdoor shower beautiful cenote rio lagartos
Reviewed 1 May 2018

Driving into Ek Balam, we wondered what to expect. Nestled into the typical Mayan village (palapa huts, women weaving hammocks) is Genesis, an amazing place. Due to miscommunication, we had the opportunity to stay in three different rooms, which worked out well. The garden setting is beautiful. The evening meals were delicious and interesting, prepared by charming local ladies. And best of all, the Ek Balam site is a stone’s throw away. Only two hours by toll road from the Cancun airport, Genesis is a gem. Staff and visitors delightful. Making chocolate with a local lady in her home was a fascinating experience as well. I only wish we’d spent more time in the village, but we went to Ek Balam twice and to three cenotes, not to mention the obligatory siestas.

Room Tip: Cielo for treetop and sky views, sleep under the stars!
Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank patsyt914
J Lee C, Owner at Genesis Eco-Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2018

I'm not sure there is such a position as Room Reviewer but you would be a shoe-in! We really loved having you here with your spirit of adventure and willingness to enjoy the little things that make this village so charming and authentic. Come back!

Reviewed 24 April 2018

We very much enjoyed our experience at Eco Genesis, a little haven in the Yucatan and I am sure one of a kind! Food was very good, staff super lovely, especially the ladies in the kitchen (I do not think they are volunteers - as one horribly negative review implies).

We were thrilled to have had the opportunity to be invited into mayan neighbors homes to make tortillas and hot cacao with Guadalupe and to be able to contribute to her livelihood :) We didn't get to learn about the hammocks though (:

I had expected that we were to be in El Sol room and was sooo excited for that room experience, per Lee's initial email. However when we arrived we were in Cielo (also a nice room, but internet can sometimes ruin you! since you have expectations!)

Not a biggie - as esp on an email receipt I saw that it did state Cielo, I think either Lee made an error in saying El Sol was available or changed it shortly thereafter.

Internet I realize has had so many pro's (of course) and con's to travel! Eco Genesis is a beautiful place and probably not the accommodations for everyone!

I found all the staff to be lovely and the grounds and rooms to be tidy and clean!
Thank you for your creativity, dedication to your neighbors and the pueblo of Ek Balam!

Room Tip: All rooms are totally unique, some open air with mosquito nets and some more closed. All close to nature!
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
J Lee C, Owner at Genesis Eco-Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2018

Thank you for being so appreciative of our hard working local staff. Gloria has been here for 15 years and I have been working with Guadalupe for 14. They make me feel like part of their families instead of an outsider. If you come back you can have Sol at half price for a night. We are renovating it, so it will be even better! And you will have time to make a fruit hammock! All the best Elisa.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

This eco-designed hotel is just what I needed to get away from the busy North American lifestyle. The setting, pool and rooms are so well designed. It is very relaxing. The hospitality by the environmentally- and animal-conscious owner Lee is so warm and welcoming. The vegetarian food we had was excellent and so was the coffee. This place is excellent for families or adults trying to escape. The local Mayan temple is excellent. We visited with a Mayan family. There is no ban machine - bring money + cash is needed for the very safe Toll roads. Enjoy!

Stayed: March 2018
J Lee C, Manager at Genesis Eco-Oasis, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Great Information. Thanks for capturing the essence of who we are and what we offer so that potential guests know if this is the place for them ...or not. We loved having you here. Happy Travels!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

I'm afraid my words will not do justice to the wonderful time that I had staying here. Each room is unique and I was plenty comfortable in mine. I was made to feel right at home and the food is excellent. As a vegetarian I couldn't have been happier that the restaurant is as well. I would have liked to stay longer and plan on returning. The nearby cenote is beautiful and you WILL see motmots there!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo

So glad you spied the spectacular turquoise-browed motmots. I like people to know that I have binoculars to lend as well as bird books specific to this region. And just so readers know, we don't have an actual restaurant open to the public., We cook only dinners exclusively for our guests who want to join us. Simple breakfasts are complimentary. I hope we see you again soon. Thanks so much.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We spent 3 lovely nights at Genesis during our 1 month trip through Mexico. It was just what we needed after lots of travelling - a comfy room with sun shower, quiet surrounds and pool, animals, plants and good company.

It's located just a 15 minute bike ride to the Ek Balam ruins and cenote. Gloria's nightly home cooked food (3 courses for 200 MXP) was delicious, fresh and healthy. Mago and Jennifer were super friendly and we would love to see them again.

The nightly bread van which comes around the village with baked goods and cakes was lovely! Another highlight was hanging out with Genesis' wonderful neighbour Guadalupe, who taught us how to make fresh tortillas and grind cacao.

A great place to relax and unwind in a small, untouristy village.

P.S there are lots of rescue dogs, cats, bunnies and birds on the property (which we loved!), but if you don't like animals this isn't the place for you!

Room Tip: We had the Birdhouse- gorgeous, but the swinging bed takes a little getting used to!
Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Thanks for the great summary of what to expect at Genesis and Ek Balam. I was not actually working when you were here but I enjoyed seeing you just taking in the garden and seeming to enjoy the simplicity of just being here. Thanks for loving this little Garden of Eden, the plants and animals. Lee