“Improved. Great experience this year!”

Sansei Seafood Restaurant & Sushi Bar
Ranked #2 of 13 Restaurants in Kapalua
Price range: US$0 - US$35
Cuisines: Sushi, Hawaiian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 7 September 2021

Back to excellent food, A few years ago we had a terrible meal.. sushi wasn’t fresh and the tempura was like a shake n’bake. We didn’t return until last week when we chose to try again…it was excellent! We will continue to dine here…

Date of visit: September 2021
Write a reviewReviews (2,116)

Reviewed 6 September 2021

My husband and I have eaten at Sansei over the years and have really liked it, th elast time being 6 years ago at the Kihei location. This time in Kapalua was just awful. The food was practically inedible. The rainbow roll was the worst ever and the butterfish tempura special was all batter and no fish. The atmosphere inside is noisy and ugly and frankly feels like a place that doesn't care about it's customers. The hostess practically threw menus at us when we were seated. We couldn't wait to get out. You can't blame this on Covid! And, I agree with a previous TA review...they don't use real wasabe.

Date of visit: September 2021
Reviewed 21 August 2021 via mobile

We miss the old menu!!!! But that didn’t stop us from THREE visits this trip :). Even their limited menu is delicious, but I truly hope you offer the same extensive options that you used to (some day, maybe?) as always, knowledgeable and professional and the food is top-notch.

Reviewed 16 August 2021

Called at 5pm to put in a take out order. Waited on the phone for 1 5 minutes, then got hung up on. Tried calling back for over 20 minutes and no one ever picked up. I can respect that you are busy, but this type of response is unacceptable. Ruined our last night on Maui.

Reviewed 6 August 2021 via mobile

I see that there are many positive reviews, and we went because a friend also raves about it. That was not my family’s experience in the slightest. There were six of us and we all ordered different things. Two ordered sushi. The first four non-sushi makes all cams out, but all at different times. My middle son was completely finished before my daughter’s short ribs came out. The four of us finished and we were waiting and waiting for the sushi. When I asked about it, the waitress went and checked. She came back and told us it would be another 30 minutes! Needless to say, we canceled the sushi orders and left as soon as possible. The manager came over to “apologize” by telling us most people were ordering sushi that evening so they were backed up. How they were surprised that people were ordering sushi when the restaurant’s name literally has the words “sushi bar” in it, is beyond me. I would never even consider going to this restaurant again. We ended up at the nearby Safeway to get sushi for my very disappointed 11 year old son.