All reviews bar downstairs is no fault of the hotel open mic night busy bar steak night half board rooms are modern ski trip top floor no lift transfer service couple of nights triple room boiled eggs course meal centre of town days skiing
Reviewed 16 March 2018

Good points:
Excellent 3 course meal served in the evenings. Friendly staff who where helpful. Good location near the slopes. TV in the room. Good entertainment in the evening (Elvis impersonator)

Bad points:
We were put in a 'double' room in the attic - it was tiny with NOWHERE to dry any clothes after a day on the slopes - this meant we had to wear wet clothes and the room contantly smelt of damp. The room was basically the size of the double bed that was in there (the bed was comfy though). I'm sure there are larger rooms in the hotel, but for the price we paid we expected more and at least somewhere to be able to hang wet clothes.

We only had 2 small cabin bags (thankfully as there was nowhere to store them in the room) but when we checked out at 10am we had a 90 minute wait for our airport transfer. When asked if we could leave our small bags somewhere, they wanted to charge us €18!

Room Tip: Don't stay in one of the tiny rooms in the attic
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
John S, Owner at Hotel Les Rhodos, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Hi Carl T, thanks for your recent stay with us.
We appreciate your positive comments about the excellent food, friendly staff, location and entertainment.
We are sorry however that you felt the need to drag us down regarding the room size. All guests who book with us online are informed at the time of selecting their room of the size of the room which they are looking at. Photographs are also provided. We do this so that prospective customers can make an informed choice. It seems unfair that you would then complain after having been given this information prior to booking. The rooms although small are in compliance with our 2 star rating and our rooms prices are in line (and in many cases much cheaper) than other 2 star hotels in Morzine. Your room had a drying line in the bath room for drying clothes.
We don't have a bag storage space on the premises for guests checking out so we recently took on a space opposite the hotel which we have converted to bag storage with changing facilities. Unfortunately this space is not free and our customers who wish to use it do need to pay for this service. 18 euros is the cost for a day's storage for 2 bags as we don't do hourly rates for this (again in line with other storage facilities in Morzine).
It is a shame that you've made these negative comments as we believe that you actually had a good stay and we certainly hope that you come and visit with us again, perhaps in a larger room.

Reviewed 11 March 2018 via mobile

Arrived at airport collected promptly by Damien, Morzine shuttle to hotel with great conversation on way. Nice clean and cosy room. Great food ( steak & the ribs fab ) very hard working and polite staff who went of there way to help. The atmosphere for sporting live events was amazing & packed.
And the open mic was one of the best I’ve attended. Chatted with many nationalities. Overall had a fabulous stay in Morzine and the Rhodos Bar

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

So we stayed there for 6 days.
We arrived with heavy suitcases around 13.30 to be told that the check in was at 16pm. The staff offered a locker for around €18 which we declined.
We sat down to the bar area and ordered drinks and a pizza to share. Just after ordering our food, another employee informed us that our room was in fact ready.
The food arrived shortly after that so we ate first.
While downstairs, I asked which ski hire shop we should use as most hotels work in partnership with the local ones. We got told that los rhodos offered 10% off with intersports.
The faint smell of drains is always in the air: in the bar and stairs to the rooms despite an heavy use of Ajax.
The room was very compact but cleaned.
We were apparently lucky to not have booked a room in the attic as the ceiling is extremely low there.
Fresh towels were always at disposition but no renewal of soap nor shower gel for the 6 days we stayed.
We hired our equipments and the shop told us that we needed a voucher from the hotel for the 10% off.
Morzine ski domain is amazing and the hotel has a good location with free buses to avoriaz or the plenay.
In my opinion, the food was a bit of a let down. France has beautiful food and we had fish and chips, steak, curry, ribs... it was as if I never left uk.
The service and friendliness varied a lot. Bailey, our evening waiter was especially great and caring.
The bar was always busy, Mondays and open mic was good. You can find all your fav drinks if you are British, they even sell pork scratching!
I saw a couple of customers that have been there staying for a few days like us and they had no seat to their table as other customers had simply taken theirs. I watched them standing for 15 mns so I eventually got up and moved two chairs for their convenience. Nobody had noticed them and I guess they were too polite to just grab some. We joked a fair bit after as they were then ordering their wine to me (they knew I was a guess).
One of our pair ski got stolen overnight but the owner did pay us back the excess and was thoroughly apologetic. He has also bought us two bottles of wine to make it up.
That was a very nice gesture. Thank you.
One thing I would like to add is that i never received any booking confirmation from the hotel. I sent them an email 4 days prior arrival as I was getting worried and I had a few questions. I never got any reply.
To sum up, personally, the food was a disappointment, the location is great, the rooms were clean, the owner made a special effort and that was appreciated.
We will however not return there.
Ps:carry on the good work Bailey!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
John S, Owner at Hotel Les Rhodos, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2018

Dear natacha f,
thanks a lot for your comments both good and bad. I'm going to take some time to go through your comments as we feel the need to defend ourselves in response to your review.
Whether you arrived with heavy suitcases or not the check in time of the hotel is 4pm. It is clear before you book with us and after you book with us that this is our check in time. If you arrive before that it is normal that we would be unable to check you in. Having declined our bag storage across the road (a service introduced this Winter as we have no storage space on site) you ordered lunch. The staff then made a special effort to get your room ready as soon as possible to get you checked in early. Surely this was something to be commended and appreciated?
We did have problem with a drain at some point which we made every effort to get rectified as quickly as possible (a problem that could effect any business at any time).
We appreciate that you note your hotel room was clean and that towels were changed regularly. The welcome shower gel is that I'm afraid, a welcome. We don't ever replenish during a stay and this is accepted in a 2 star hotel.
I'm sorry that you feel it necessary to complain on behalf of the other guests that you saw waiting for their table (as their seats had been pinched) or about the corridor that you didn't walk down with the apparent low ceiling. We would of course apologise to any clients that were kept waiting to be seated but as you so rightly point out the bar is always busy, another indication that we are doing something right. Our staff work hard to make your stay pleasurable and I appreciate that you found Bailey up to your standard. We are however unable to apologise about a low corridor ceiling in an old Morzine building.
Although the 3 course menu may not be traditional local cuisine, we realised many years ago that serving our customers melted cheese and potatoes every night was not what they wanted. We are very proud of the food we serve to our hotel guests and would gladly put it up against any other 2 star hotels. I would urge readers of your review to read the other reviews that almost all comment very favourably about dinner times.
Just to clarify your hired skis were not stolen, only taken by other hotel clients by mistake. Although this is rare I was happy to pay the excess and offer some complimentary wine.
Lastly, all hotel guests that book with us are automatically sent email confirmation once a booking is made. We can also find no email from you 4 days prior to your arrival.
It is with regret that I note that you won't return but we have to accept that we might not be everyone's cup of tea, or café au lait if you'd prefer....

Reviewed 1 March 2018

Booked a five night stay at Les Rhodos and despite some of the less than favourable reviews I found it excellent. All the faults are true, rooms not that big, noisy and a tiny boot room with a dodgy lock. However, the staff, food and cleanliness were all excellent. The noise to be fair is more from outside the building (lots of loud shouting from passers by) and although there is music it's not that bad. The open mic night is well worth a listen and the English staff create a very friendly atmosphere with plenty of live sport on TV. Comfy bed, clean warm room and a good meal, what's not to like after a day on the excellent pistes. Only to be enhanced after meeting the legend that is Timmy Mallett. If Les Rhodos is good enough for the meister.....

Room Tip: Quieter at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank Pete S
Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

The hotel is in prime location a short walk up hill from the town centre.

Upon arrival at 12pm we were welcomed into the hotel by the friendly staff however this friendly welcome turned slightly sour when we were told we couldn't check in until 4pm and we would have a €30 charge to store our bags!!

After check in we were shown to our rooms, I understand the hotel has been built within an exciting 'older building' however myself and my room mate found we could event fit into the shower as the door didn't open further than 20cm, thus denying us of our basic human rights of hygiene!

On top of this distressing situation we also found the hotel to have open drains within the bar area causing terrible smells of sewage around the building which were strongly denied by the bar staff (they must have had blocked sinuses)

I would have complained further however the friendly/understanding staff tried to support when they could.

I wouldn't recommend the hotel for the more discerning character however the more student like may find it a suitable place to stay.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
John S, Owner at Hotel Les Rhodos, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2018

Dear Ian C,
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel on tripadvisor. Although we don’t usually respond to reviews we do find it necessary to stick up for ourselves when we feel unfairly treated. So here goes….
All clients who book hotel rooms with us are emailed our check in and check out times. These times are also made available during the booking process in order that prospective clients can decide whether we are the right choice for them. It should therefore have been of no surprise to you when you arrived at midday that you would not be able to check in. In order to store bags for guests who arrive before the hotel has been cleaned, we have at our expense taken on a property across the road from the hotel. If our guests wish to take advantage of this there is a charge to offset this expense.
Although your room is one of the smallest (and cheapest) rooms in the hotel, it has been approved by the French government as meeting the criteria for a 2 star hotel. We find your comment about not being able to get into your shower and being denied basic human rights both laughable and damaging. Once again I suggest that when booking a hotel in the future you read the open information provided by the hotel, this time about the size of the room you are booking and decide in advance whether this will be suitable for you.
Regarding the temporary bad smell we categorically deny that there ever were any open drains in the bar area, a comment that we also consider damaging in its misrepresentation. We did have a problem with a sealed drain for a short period of time that was remedied as quickly as possible. Such a problem could happen to any establishment and no doubt does.
I am happy that you found the staff supportive and friendly (and yet fibbers about the smell?) I would however have welcomed the chance to respond to any comments or complaints that you had whilst actually staying in the hotel so as not to have to resort to this futile exercise of an online response.