All reviews fish private dipping pool tuna snorkel tour taveuni island world class chef family style the lavena coastal walk our night stay a special place star resort fresh flowers blown away traditional fijian roberta grander buba
Reviewed 13 August 2016

My wife and I spent ten nights at the Makaira Resort. I had read the reviews and we were not disappointed in our experience. We are not large resort people and Makaira's limited amount of accommodation suited us perfectly. We stayed in the "Villa", the view from which was magic. Before our arrival, I was somewhat concerned about both the distance to the beach and the noise from the road in front of the resort, but in fact neither were an issue.
Roberta led us on a guided snorkel tour after our arrival and, although the devastation from the cyclone in February was very obvious, nonetheless there were encouraging signs of some healthy coral and a reasonable number of fish around. Amazing snorkelling was not the main reason for our stay in Taveuni and we just settled into the peace and beauty of the place. Breakfast was included in the tariff and we bought some basic lunch supplies from the shop near the airport. As far as dinner is concerned, guests have a choice of either dining in or dining out. Roberta's husband John is an excellent cook and we elected to dine in whenever he was going to be cooking, which was basically four nights a week. Resort dining facilities would no doubt be available elsewhere but, on the nights when John wasn't cooking, we elected to go to the quite adequate and well located restaurant across the road just below Makaira.
The Guest Relations man, Baba, was excellent during our stay. His service and support were much appreciated during our stay, as was the fluency of his English.
Overall, the staff at Makaira are great and make guests really feel welcome. For the latter part of our stay, we were the only guests and it was wonderful to get to know each staff member. When John was cooking, Roberta sat with us for dinner and she was excellent company.
This was our first visit to Taveuni and we came away with many fond memories, most of which related to the welcome we received at the Makaira Resort and its wonderful staff.

Room Tip: All accommodation offers excellent views
  • Stayed: August 2016, travelled as a couple
BulaHula, Owner at Makaira Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. You both are such a lovely couple and fantastic troopers, nothing stopped your from having a great time. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. Our dinner conversations were great. Just have to say I don't always inflict my dazzling company on all our guests at dinner time haha. There are guests like you two, that come here with inquiring minds and want to really get to know the locals and customs and the lay of the land. That is where I come in handy. Other guests just want privacy and others want a mix, so we kind of feel guests out on their first day to get an idea of what kind of holiday experience they envision. Then we and our very wonderful staff all try our best to make it happen for them.
You two had a great Fijian experience because you got into it, attending local functions, you explored all the activities you were interested in what the island had to offer. It was great fun to hear of your daily adventures. We are all so happy you had a wonderful time with us. Thanks again for the lovely review it really does help to inspire everyone here at Makaira.

Reviewed 1 August 2016 via mobile

From the moment you enter the Makaira property, you will feel an incredible wave of joy come over you. My family had visited Makaira for many years before I was able to go, but the stories I heard did not do it justice. The staff welcomes guests with a beautiful song and cold coconuts. The bures have breathtaking views of the beach walking distance below. Roberta's snorkel tours were amazing, as were the shells we collected after. As if all that weren't good enough already, the meals we had were to die for. Captain John is a master not only on the boat, but also in the kitchen. Trust me when I say that the meals we had while at Makaira were some of the best I can remember. Captain John's kitchen assistant, Mary, is also known to give some wonderful massages. After a long day of fishing or exploring the beautiful island of Taveuni, a massage from Mary is like heaven. Saying goodbye after our two week stay was incredibly hard. I felt like I was leaving family behind with all the warmth and love we were shown. We were serenaded once again by the staff as we said our goodbyes, and given handmade lei to remember them by. As we got into the taxi to take us to the airport, it really did feel like I was leaving my second home.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
BulaHula, Owner at Makaira Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2016

You and the gang will ALWAYS have a second home at Makaira. I think it was 10 years ago that your Dad and friends first came here for their annual vacation and would sometimes sneak in an extra one. They started as guests, became friends and now are considered family each and every one of you. Thanks so much for after all these years writing such a lovely review. Too many of our returnees like to keep us their own little secret so never write a review. and I am saying that nicely because we do so appreciate our returnees so much. We hope to see you and the gang in next year, fingers crossed. Because we so look forward to your visits, the adventures and the laughs and giggles. So much fun.

Reviewed 25 July 2016

We loved every minute of our stay at Makaira. Gorgeous views from our private and comfortable Bure with easily accessible snorkeling right out front and spectacular views to the distant islands were just the half of it. At Makaira we were welcomed like family. Hosts Roberta and John and their beautiful local helpers Lucy, Lala, James, Vanni, Mary, Taru, Clara and Philo, with driver Baba manage to include you with cheerful ease, ensuring that your stay in Taveuni is really special. Highlights include Roberta's coral garden tour, delicious daily breakfasts overlooking the magnificent view (Lucy and Taru), magnificent three course dinners (John and Mary, when Roberta regaled us with tales of island life and beautiful Vanni serves with a shy smile). There is a very special curry dinner (Lucy and Lala), and a Fijian meal prepared by all of the staff together! Lala often leaves a coconut in the fridge, and James is on hand to help haul down the kayak, manage a boat and host a great kava session with Lala. Clara and Philo ensure that the Bure is fresh and tidy or help serve and prepare meals, and Taru sorts out most things with a huge smile. Baba took us everywhere we needed to go, with lots of good advice and insights into island life. He was also on hand to sort out the wifi and the other minor glitches of remote island living. Taveuni is a unique and unspoiled island and the people at Makaira helped us connect. It is a real place with real generosity and warmth. If you want to be another number in a slick five star resort, don't stay at Makaira. If you want to be part of a big happy family, learn about the culture and life of Taveuni and develop a wide island smile, Makaira is the place for you.

Room Tip: There are only three bures and they are all well positioned. Living is relaxed, casual and almost open air.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank Sally P
BulaHula, Owner at Makaira Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I can't tell you how much positive reviews help inspire us all. Everybody at Makaira is going to be so thrilled tomorrow when they read it, big smiles for sure and maybe a few blushes and an extra kick in their step. Thank you also so much for the medical advice, I will keep you posted on how that family is doing over the years to come. We enjoyed the 3 of you just as much if not more than you enjoyed your time with us you are all absolutely charming. I might have even gained a couple of pounds from joining you for dinner for great conversations. Elastic pants definitely come in handy at Makaira haha. We look forward to adding you to our list of returnees in the Makaira Club. Thanks again for sharing your time with us.

Reviewed 19 July 2016

Makaira charmed me from the time that my guide, Baba, picked me up from the Ferry to my farwell song by the Makaira staff as I left for the airport. It was not only the natural beauty of the location but also the beautiful hearts of the Makaira people that warmed my heart.

Marlin Bure was a good size for me. Filo and Kelera kept my room pretty. James showed me how to use the electricals, and his lovely wife put a smile on my face. Lusi and Taru helped me with my special dietary needs and cooked a special breakfast for me each morning. Lala kept the grounds spik and span. And Mere's massages were heavenly..... Thank you Roberta and John for making me feel welcome. Your staff made my time at Makaira especially magical.

Room Tip: Marlin Bure is good for a single or couple. The other Bure's are larger, so more suited for a family or group of people.
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled solo
BulaHula, Owner at Makaira Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a lovely review. We all really enjoyed our time with you so much. You said you would be back so we are all looking forward to your return. I think I still owe you a snorkel tour out front and through our reef garden project. . Believe it or not I think the next time you come back it will be even better. I wish you were here now while our organic vegetable garden is in full bloom, it would have really helped with your dietary needs, since while you were here we were still recovering from lack of produce after Winston. Taveuni is back to being the Garden Island again and the produce stands are stacked with local goodies that you would really enjoy. Thanks again for choosing Makaira and being such a lovely guest. The staff will also be thrilled to read all of your kind words, feedback like this really inspires them all.

Reviewed 25 June 2016

We had an absolutely magical stay at Makaira. The location, set on a hill above the sea, is spectacular, offering great panoramic views of Taveuni, with easy access to the sparkling water (and amazing snorkeling) right below. The bures are comfortable and well-stocked to make you feel at home, all of them have little pools for cooling off. The location is quiet, but you are walking distance or short taxi ride to the little village of Matei (where the airport is located, and there is a store for supplies. But the best thing about this place is the truly wonderful staff, who make you feel so very much at home. We traveled to Makaira with our two children, and from the moment we arrived, until we got on the airplane, we had one amazing experience after another. From Bubba picking us up from the airport and getting us settled in, Lucy preparing us wonderful breakfasts, Lala showing the kids how to do coconut frond weaving, Claire bringing my daughter some beautiful seashells, Roberta taking us out for a snorkeling tour of the breathtaking reef, Mary and John cooking up huge portions of delicious fresh-caught fish, Philo and Taru for cooking us an amazing Fijian dinner, James and John taking us out on the boat, and the whole staff for sharing the kava experience with us, we thank you all a million for making us feel so special.

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
BulaHula, Owner at Makaira Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review. Your family is lovely. Your children were wonderful, so polite, curious and open to the whole Makaira and Fijian experience. Your whole stay with us was delightful for all of us. Personally, my best memory was taking you all snorkeling and watching your son and daughter being amazed at discovering all the undersea treasures that were new to them, that hopefully imprints upon their young and very intelligent minds. Looking at it all through their eyes was like seeing it again for the first time. You both are great parents. We all enjoyed our time with you all so much. We are so happy that you enjoyed your time with us.