Review Highlights
Highly recommend the temple stay

We had the opportunity to stay here as part of the temple stay program. This is a beautiful temple... read more

Reviewed 4 May 2019
OliviaG1591
New Zealand
Beautiful and quiet temple

CY+c (18.04.14 ) There was not bigger than I guess, but there was good mood and view. Always the... read more

Reviewed 17 April 2018
CanisHan
Seoul, South Korea

See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 17 April 2018

CY+c (18.04.14 )
There was not bigger than I guess, but there was good mood and view. Always the temple give me composure, and made me calm. The view was very good, and the atmosphere was good, too. We spend much time in there, and enjoyed view, smell and atmosphere. Good temple.

Date of experience: April 2018
Reviewed 17 September 2016 via mobile

I really like this place.worth visiting during winter and rainy season.gurye is awesome place.☺️☺️☺️☺️

Date of experience: September 2016
Reviewed 13 November 2015

this temple in the foothills of Chirisan is well worth a visit for its treasures. These include the famous lion statue but also the hall with its three stories from the 18th century. These wooden structures rarely survive and always take my breath away.
The hike up to the Baekdudaegan ridge is very steep, but there are other nice hikes to hermitages. At the entrance area is the Chirisan bear centre, which also looks interesting.

Date of experience: March 2015
Reviewed 7 August 2015

I visited this temple in conjuction with a stop in Gurye for a triathlon. Hwaeomsa temple has beautiful grounds and temple structures. It's a well kept and educational glimpse into Korean culture. Highly recommended if you are in the area with an hour to spare.

Date of experience: October 2014
Reviewed 11 November 2014

As part of our trip to Jirisan, and exploration of the Piagol valley later, this was a great way to spend the afternoon. It is certainly one of the best temples we have visited in Korea as the wooden structures gave it a real earthly feel, very calming and I guess basic in some ways. Many other temples often have bright colours but this one retains the original bare wood. The whole atmosphere is sublime and as we went in autumn the colours were wonderful as the setting is surrounded by wooded mountains.

Date of experience: October 2014