“A real gem found in Portobello ”

1908 Cafe Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Portobello
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 March 2018 via mobile

This little gem has a great menu with meats, fish and lots of vegetables. Presented wonderfully with great service. A great selection of local NZ wines plus many other bar options. I highly recommend the lamb shank. It’s wonderful!!!

Reviewed 12 March 2018

It was quite strange to walk in here on a Friday night about 6 pm where it was very quiet and it took quite a while for anyone to come to seat us. The hostess was quite brusque and not very enthusiastic, seemed very flat. I ordered lamb shanks on mash and these were tasty but just came with some tiny odd shaped pieces of carrot as a vege. My husband’s meal of pan fried fish was just ok and the potatoes were not crispy as they should have been. We shared a flourless chocolate cake for dessert and that was nice.

Reviewed 7 March 2018 via mobile

Wonderful service and lovely setting. Had the venison and it was a winner. The chicken main was delicious as well. Pass on the fish though, a bit boring. Would highly recommend this lovely spot if you eat meat! Lamb shank also looked really good!

Reviewed 2 March 2018

My wife and I had dinner at the 1908 and we had mixed feelings about the food. My ribye steak was a disappointment, an average piece of meat, over cooked and swimming in tomato sauce with under cooked potatoes and no vegetables. The Sundae ice cream had pieces of ice in it as if it had been refrozen several times. My wife on the other hand was quite happy with her chicken and panacotta. Service was neither friendly nor unfriendly, impersonal is probably a good description.
Overall I find it hard to recommend this place.

1  Thank BengtH14
Reviewed 2 March 2018 via mobile

We had dinner at the restaurant across the street from our motel since it was very convenient and was recommended by the motel manager. Our expectations were not especially high until we looked at the menus. The menu choices were very creative and featured wonderful sauces to go with any meat course. I had the veal in a reduced red wine demiglace sauce and Sandy had the lamb. Both were excellent. We wanted to eat every drop of sauce after our food was gone. We followed that up with a dense flower less chocolate cake with mile chili spice and fantastic salted caramel sauce. Great meal, friendly service and not especially expensive.