All reviews sliding glass negative reviews main building stayed one night the pub franz josef glacier jackson bay coast purpose route
Reviewed 14 July 2018

After driving from Fox Glacier we drove into Haast, needing to stop for a coffee, we where drawn to the Heritage hotel due to the roof have "CAFE" painted across it.So we stopped for coffee, the restaurant was warm and had a large fire burning, so a nice feel as we walked in, but unfortunately the TV's where on with the chase totally removing from any atmosphere created by the wood fire.

When we left we tasted the fresh coffee to find the milk was well over temperature and the coffee was very bitter I was not able to drink mine, wasted money unfortunately.

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Tracey D, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2018

Hi Colin

Thank you for letting me know your comments on your recent stop with us for a coffee, I do apologise that when you came in that the TV channel was not atmosphere appropriate, in the morning our breakfast guests like the good morning show and then staff forget about the TV. We now have on the checklists when they should be turning the TV to the music channel, or a channel that a guests asks to be change to. I also apologise that the coffee was bitter and have asked the Cafe Manager to run another coffee course for the staff.

Reviewed 28 June 2018 via mobile

We were promptly checked in by the polite gentleman in reception. Parking was not near the room so we had to carry six suitcases to the bedroom! Not fun. The front door opens to a hallway which has three reasonable sized bedrooms with very comfy beds. Downsides included terrible heating and we could only get two heaters (my husband and I went without); no sitting area; a tiny shower; a doorway to the main room which was difficult to open; and a noisy fridge (which we unplugged as we were hot using it). Restaurant onsite serves reasonably priced meals and a buffet breakfast.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Tracey D, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2018

Hi Travelmum84

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on tripadvisor.co.nz, we do appreciate all comments. I apologise that the room you were allocated did not have parking outside of it, but these rooms are the first to be booked. Great to read that you found the beds to be comfortable and the rooms reasonably sized.

I do hope you enjoyed the rest of you time on the Westcoast

Safe Travels

Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Good stay. Rooms have been updated since last visit. The rooms were very comfortable with good bathroom facilities. Nice clean units with good linen.
Food was okay, but would be nice to eat in a restaurant rather than a bar.
Great retreat in bad weather!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Tracey D, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2018

Hi McKinney Travels

We thank you for the 4 star rating and also taking the time to review us online via www.tripadvisor.co.nz, we do appreciate it!

Comments like this are a testament to how hard we are working as a team and it is pleasing to read. I have passed this onto the team. Our Waiatoto restaurant will be re-opening soon.

Wishing you safe travels and hope to see you on the wild Westcoast again soon

Warmest regards

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed here as part of our travels around the South Island.

The look, decore and feel of the place was 40 years out of date, needs completely renovated.

The food also was poor, the best part was the staff, very friendly and accommodating.

Not for us.

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve S
Tracey D, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Hi Steve

Hi Coastlerhgl

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your recent stay with us. I am pleased to hear that our staff were friendly and accommodating.

I have called a kitchen meeting today to discuss your comment with them, to find out if there are any issues or to make improvements. Once again you have my apologies that we have not met your expectation on this occasion.

I wish you safe travels and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay ion the West Coast.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 25 March 2018

Very very tired hotel that was well overpriced for the quality. On the plus side, the bed was comfy and the restaurant next door were good. Where to start with the negative, firstly the price, $196 is way too much for this place due to the following, tiny room and bathroom with very dated fittings , shower so small you could hardly turn around. Frayed towels, no mini fridge, a hairdryer that only worked intermittently. Tv only worked on 3 channels and then you couldnt watch because there was so much interference/static. There is no insulation in the walls or roof and the walls were paper thin so you could hear everyone in the entire corridor. The ranch slider is single glazed and barely lockable and the other door was so thin it shock everytime anyone else opened or closed their door. Be aware that tour parties stay here and they leave early and don't care how much noise they make.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Tracey D, General Manager at Heartland World Heritage Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2018

Hi Nutsks

Thank you for taking the time to place feedback on your recent stay with us. My apologies that your recent stay with us has not met your expectations - this certainly is disappointing to hear. I appreciate your feedback in regards to the room you stayed in as it certainly helps having feedback to ensure when we are planning for future capital upgrades of the hotel, along with making sure our all of our staff are following the correct procedures and in this case our housekeepers have let us down so I must apologise for them. I will ensure that our Head Housekeeper inspects all rooms, as a rule any frayed linen is removed from our stock also any equipment that is not working properly should be replaced.

Once again thank you for your comments and great to read you found your bed comfortable and the restaurant to be good.

Wishing you safe journeys