Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
tekohiwi
Whitianga, New Zealand

Haast in the rain

3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 12 Nov 2018
Not much in Haast apart from a few backpackers/Motels, a pub, couple of cafes and a small supermarket, but a good stop off point, especially when it’s raining cats and dogs! We booked in for 2 nights so we could go out to The Cray Pot at Jackson’s Bay the next day. Well worth the drive. Great roads all the way. We had a double room with its own bathroom. It was nice and the bed was comfy with plenty of blankets. But it was right next to a small shared kitchen which was rather noisy at times. Nothing special for the cost but quite acceptable. The hosts were friendly and helpful.
Date of stay: November 2018
    25.7 km from Wilderness Motel Accommodation
    72.8 km from Wilderness Motel Accommodation
    Restaurant
    View more hotels in Haast
    See what travellers are saying:
    Selected filters
    Reviewed 27 April 2018 via mobile

I booked this room last minute (the day of having to travel )
    I spoke to a lady when I phoned up to book and explained to her that this was an unexpected trip and was would not be arriving until 10 30-11pm that night. She asked the manager and told me it was fine ..no problem at all.
    I arrived late (25 minutes ).
    The lady that greeted me was so rude. As soon as I parked my car she came storming out and started having a go at me for my late booking and arriving late and how she was so tired because of me . She walked in front of me then slammed the door.
    I was actually tempted to sleep in my car as she made me feel so unwelcomed and uncomfortable until she realized how upset she made me and then decided to be nice.
    I am very disappointed in how I was treated and sincerely hope that this was a one off and that other visitors are not treated like this.
    I will not be recommending this place to any of my guests that use my tour company that are looking for recommendations where to stay!

Date of stay: April 2018
    Trip type: Travelled solo
    4  Thank 04sarah
    Reviewed 10 April 2018 via mobile

We were here for a quick stop and sleep for one night while we were driving around the South Island. Accommodation is clean enough, very basic but does the job. Staff were quite abrupt and not very welcoming.

Be prepared to stay in haast, there is a supermarket open until 7 and one pub with very average food. There is a nicer one 3km up the road by the visitor centre but nothing is open for breakfast so take some food with you before you get there.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
    Reviewed 29 March 2018

Basic but good value. Very good kitchen for cooking your own meals and big fridge/freezer. Common room is a bit weird with huge plants growing in it and seldom used I would think. Bed clean and comfortable. $2 for wifi.

Reviewed 3 March 2018

This was our second or third stay at the Lodge over the last fifteen years and we always have been very happy with the service and the amenities.
    Rooms are well appointed and beds and linen are comfortable, the common rooms - shower / kitchen / lounge and dining room are well equipped, clean and green, and the service is efficient - maybe could be a bit more welcoming. But any issues are readily resolved and the place is tidy and clean. With a very good cafe next door and the supermarket with a take away shop next door, living at the Wilderness Lodge Backpackers is made very easy.

Room tip: For a hot shower, make sure you are early - late showers can be 'cool' due to inconsiderate use of showers by other house guests.
    1  Thank Jost-Pauline S
    Reviewed 25 February 2018

I was travelling together with my mom by car when there was a road closure towards Hokitika and back to Wanaka due to heavy storm, slips and falling trees along the road. So it left me no choice but to find a place to stay in Haast. We were stranded in Haast for 2 days and chose Wilderness Backpackers/Motel Accommodation. The room is cozy enough for both me and my mother to stay even though we had to share the bathroom and communal area with the other guests. The motel owner, Adele and her husband are friendly, kind and considerate persons. We were very happy by their hospitality during our stay though we were stranded and can't do much activities in Haast except going to Haast beach. The motel is situated right in front of the supermarket to shop for any groceries. You need to pay for the WiFi. The common kitchen is clean, bathroom is acceptable clean. If I got an opportunity to visit NZ again, I will definitely drop by this accommodation and extend my gratitude to Adele and her husband for their best hospitality to me and my mom during our stay.

Date of stay: February 2018