Open today: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Recommended experience with an Asian Elephant

The Elephant Freedom project was a great day out with our 3 kids. The had a great day interacting... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
203dayanj
via mobile
A beautiful, peaceful place for an elephant!

Reviewed 3 April 2020
belladm5

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Kegalle
from US$896.00
More Info
All reviews sri lanka amazing experience the river morning session elephant dung english school food was amazing other places small group bull hook ethical elephant raise awareness beautiful elephants tea factory whole experience once in a lifetime an animal lover
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 May 2020 via mobile

A very lovely project, beautiful location and sweet elephant! Had a lovely day!
But a bad beginning!

Don’t order their pick up they offer!

I ordered a Pick up from my hotel to the project.
(Gateway Hotel Airport Garden).

I got a confirmation mail that the pick up would be around 06:30 am.
I came down to the reception at 06:20 am. In the morning and even skipped my breakfast.
I waited to 07:50 am! More than a hour.
No one ever came to pick me up, even tried to contact the number provided by Shashini (elephant project management) without any answer! No one ever contacted me!!!!!

The hotel staff were so kind to help me with the transportation to the project, which I almost was going to miss as well at 09:00 am.

I was really disappointed with this kind of service! And I don’t want any future customers to book transportation with the Elephant freedom project! As they don’t keep what they promise!
So bad!

I also had to share this experience with all of my 7000 colleagues in my airline, which regularly goes to Colombo. And this is sad.

Otherwise, I reached the project! And had a lovely day!
A lovely project and a lovely Elephant and project!

Just such a bad beginning when you have booked a tour and looked forward!

Daniel Lassen
Denmark

Date of experience: March 2020
1  Thank Danlassen
infoe649, Manager at Elephant Freedom Project, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2020

I remember this situation very well since it was the first and only time this happened.

I arranged the transport the day before. When you called us and we found out that you didn't get picked up we were very surprised! I quickly arranged another driver however the harm was already done. Needless to say, we never used that driver again.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you but happy to read that you did enjoy your time at the project. Thankfully we could arrange it so that you didn't have to miss any activities.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Thank you, Shashini.

Reviewed 4 April 2020

I have been an animal lover & activist for most of my life. I came to Sri Lanka for elephant conservation research and searched for a place where I could interact with an elephant in an ethical and peaceful space, while supporting wildlife sanctuary/conservation efforts. I discovered Elephant Freedom Project and I am so glad that I did! The staff is so loving and kind towards Kumari, who they rescued from the tourism/logging industry after working for 50+ years. Being around Kumari, you can see the peace and safety she feels in her new home. Thank you Elephant Freedom Project for rescuing Kumari and helping raise awareness on the wildlife tourism industry! Keep up the incredible work!

Date of experience: March 2020
1  Thank belladm5
Reviewed 7 March 2020

The place was like no other elephant sanctuary; was very respectful towards the elephant, Kumari. She just happily went about her day (feeding, walking, washing) and we helped out. The team at EFP clearly cared for her so well and had answers to all the questions. The lunch with everyone was absolutely delicious. The accommodation is quite basic.

Reviewed 28 February 2020 via mobile

Amazing place with real respect fot elephants!
Many places in sri lanka are called 'orphanages' but in fact they hit elephants to make them obey.
Here, only one elephant (kumari was saved 3 years ago after having being ill treated for wood industry) but all the staff is so careful about her! She is not hurt and she is cherished by her keeper.
Only small groups (max 6 persons) so you really have the time to spend quality time woti het. About 1hour of walk and 30 minutes of bathing!
Visit of dung factory is really interesting!
Staff is really knowledgeable and nice. Their english is perfect which is rare in sri lanka!
You end the half day with a very good rice and curry.
Strongly recommended
Nb : your driver may try to convince you this place is not good. Not a surprise it is the only place that refuse to pay commission to drivers (our driver even invented a far fetched story about it!!)
You can go in trust to this place if you are animals lovers!

1  Thank Amandine R
Reviewed 22 February 2020 via mobile

We've been looking for a center where the elephants don't get any chains, are well treated and do not ridden by tourists. And this center is one of them ! There is only one elephant (Kumari) but it is more than enough because the group is made of 6 persons maximum.
The keeper is really careful with the animal and respects her decision : if the elephant does not want to move, he waits patiently without forcing her.
You can give food directly to Kumari, touch her, and wash her in the river.
The guides speak well English and have a lot of very interesting informations about these animals to share. We can clearly see they respect this elephant and are all careful with her.
Of course it's not as good as a wild animal, but before being in this center Kumari was illtreared by humans and cannot return to wildlife, so this seems the best retirement we can wish for her!
Dust factory visit and nice and friendly welcome were a plus.
Thanks to this center for this amazing day!