Open today: 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM
Review Highlights
Recommended experience with an Asian Elephant

The Elephant Freedom project was a great day out with our 3 kids. The had a great day interacting... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
203dayanj
via mobile
A truly unforgettable, amazing experience

It has been almost a year since my wife and I visited the Elephant Freedom Project on our... read more

Reviewed 3 July 2020
I4165MBmattw
Santa Monica, California

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Kegalle
from US$896.00
More Info
All reviews sri lanka amazing experience the river morning session elephant dung english school food was amazing other places small group bull hook ethical elephant raise awareness beautiful elephants tea factory whole experience once in a lifetime an animal lover
Selected filters
Reviewed 10 February 2020

We visited the lovely elephant Kumari with our 4-year old and 6-month old and stayed overnight with the family. My son loved feeding Kumari her bananas and we went for a short walk, but had to return because the heat was so bad. The tour guide was informative and fun and they were really helpful with our children. We did not continue onto the dung factory part of the tour. I would recommend for families with small children, but be aware the heat might be a lot, especially if you’re carrying a baby. We pushed ours in a stroller, but the walking areas are rugged.

Reviewed 3 February 2020 via mobile

I can’t say enough about my incredible heart warming experience at the Project. My daughter and I were there for a week. It was tough to leave. Everyone was so great. The owners took great care of us and treated us as part of the family. It was a positive atmosphere. The staff was so kind and knowledgeable. The food was also delish. Every day they had a new activity planned for us, besides spending a lot of time with Kumari. Because Kumari really got to know us, we were able to visit her on our own and sit and spend time with her. I would meditate and sing to her. I left with tears in my eyes and my heart so full. Once in a lifetime experience for sure.

2  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 2 February 2020

Highly recommend the Elephant Freedom Project to all visiting Sri Lanka!!! It was by far the highlight of our two-week trip!!! The guide was a very kind, friendly and soft-spoken man providing us with interesting information on Kumari and elephants in Sri Lanka. It was a very intimate setting with just 9 of us on the tour which added to the overall experience. They also fed us a yummy lunch in their home afterwards. It was our first day in Sri Lanka and didn't realize how strong the sun is, so recommend everyone to bring hats, sunscreen and bug repellant, as we had left that in the car.

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank 878tiffanyg
Reviewed 2 February 2020 via mobile

We search the internet for animal ‘sanctuary’ etc and this came up...brilliant experience. Only one elephant but you get to feed her lots!! Wash her and walk with her. You can have lunch and even stay over. One lady we met had been staying with her daughter for the week! So friendly and the information they give is excellent

1  Thank 390samw
Reviewed 29 January 2020

We had an amazing experience. Our guide had so much knowledge about elephants and educated us on how elephants are abused. We spent the whole afternoon with Kumari (elephant), got to become familiar with her and it was great to see her so well taken care off and truly free!!! Would highly recommend this! They are the only ones who actually don’t tie up Kumari or use the bull-hook on her.

Date of experience: January 2020