“Good food, service so and so”

Ristorante Smeraldo
Ranked #1 of 6 Restaurants in Dumenza
Price range: US$11 - US$56
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 19 July 2016

Being on the the authoritative guide" Osterie d'Italia" (Slow Food) , I was looking for an outstanding restaurant. Food was good , service really basic. Outdated place but a free parking just in front. A bit expensive.

Reviewed 30 June 2015

are years that we frequent this great address, close to Luino (Verbano Lake). Family atmosphere and a great value for the price and quantity. Surely you do not go away with hunger.
The dishes are well presented and resume the ingredients of many recipes of the Lombardy region with a touch of innovation. Great the foie gras, homemade. They using fresh and seasonal food and they always updating the menu Excellent cellar with many different wines of all Italian regions. The Adriano's desserts are wonderfull, keep some place to try them.

Reviewed 8 September 2014

The menu of the Smeraldo is not extensive, but more than sufficient, and I always find something delicious. From the Antipasti and Primi to Secondi and Dolce I honestly never had something I didn't like. If it's the right time of the year, you'll find quite a few dishes with fungi porcini and local herbs; and even if you're craving something that's not on the menu, the helpful staff will try to make it happen. It's a friendly restaurant with superb food, and the food is worth every cent.

Reviewed 5 September 2014 via mobile

It's very good traditional fine Italian kitchen, not as excellent as 20 years ago when the Mama ran the kitchen, but still really good and it offers a larger and more haute quisine menu choice than the usual Pizzeria. The place is idyllic and it's wonderful to sit outside, the densly forested area great for a quick hike and the air is smells as good as the food, enriching the taste of the food.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is a wonderful Osteria and well worth the short drive to the restaurant. (The drive is not hard, and the parking is accessible and available.) We made a phone reservation and were super excited because the hostess was so helpful and welcoming on the phone.

The atmosphere is lovely and relaxing. The family staff is fantastic. The food is delicious. I highly recommend this restaurant. It will become a family favorite.

We live in southern Switzerland, and I often find it stressful to go out to dinner in Switzerland -- high prices, low service, so-so food. So we drove across the border to Italy, to this wonderful restaurant, to take our cousins who were visiting from America. Ristorante Smeraldo has a wonderful atmosphere, and the food was a hit with our visitors. The staff was realistic about what we needed to order for six people. I highly recommend their polenta with rabbit. And the dessert was super yummy.

People do smoke outside on the veranda at the tables there. If smoking bothers you, sit inside.

I'm not sure about English, as we all speak Italian. If you have limited Italian, I think you would still do just fine at this restaurant. The staff is lovely.

All the pasta is homemade. I will try that next time.

Thank you, Smeraldo, for a memorable evening!

1  Thank Mallarda