“First ride EVER on a horse!”
Review of Les Arnelles

Les Arnelles
Reviewed 27 May 2017

This was the first time in my life on a horse (at the age of 64!) So I much appreciated that Serge, our guide, was very helpful, and more importantly that these were delightful horses for a beginning rider, calm and considerate. We were delighted to learn that the horses live and roam free in Camargue during the winter months. A great experience, really!

1  Thank 586ian
"trotted"
"lakes"
"cantering"

Reviewed 29 April 2017

The instructors generally try to match riders with horses. It was a pleasant ride with views of Flamingos and a walk on the beach. Those that wanted to were given three opportunities to gallop. It was a bit of a wait before starting off due to late comers, but most people were patient with it. It was an enjoyable ride and good value for money.

2  Thank ausmeisie2017
Reviewed 10 April 2017

I have been on some horse rides before, in South America and in Morocco, I always had good experiences, but this was different.
My horse kept wanting to eat so I was quite far behind the group in the end, when I pulled the reigns the horse didn’t listen and kept eating. As I don’t have much experience with horse riding I don’t have the confidence to pull the reigns very hard. The instructor (Stéphanie) just kept shouting “pull the reigns, pull the reigns”, but made absolutely no effort to come near me and help me out. Even though I was quite far behind already she just kept going with the rest of the group. I was lucky that there was another girl in the group with experience, she turned around and came riding next to me telling me what to do and helped me out.
When my horse was annoyed with the horse behind him he suddenly turned around and wanted to fight, chasing the other horse. Obviously we were startled and so I called the instructor, all she said was “oh yea that happens”.
On the way we saw some flamingos, I wanted to take a photo but we didn’t stop even 30 seconds to make a photo. It’s not that I wanted to get off the horse but it’s difficult taking a photo while riding.
Then when we arrived back at Les Arnelles she just got off her horse and left, didn’t help me or some of the others to get off our horse and tie it. She literally could not care less.

1  Thank cvdp2016
Reviewed 26 November 2016

We were a group of 4 with the guide, 2 of us experienced and 2 beginners/non riders. The horses were well matched for riding ability, so everyone had an enjoyable experience and the guide let the 2 of us have a gallop on the beach and another section by the marshes while he stayed with the others. The guide was good, and pointed things out to us, though he spoke limited English and we spoke limited French, it was sufficient.
I've wanted to ride in the camargue since I was a child... there are no longer wild horses roaming the marshes, but we did see them in local herds, and flamingos on the etangs. We were lucky to have a brilliant sunny day with a bit of wind to keep the mosquitos away, until just at the end when the wind dropped.
I can highly recommend the experience.

1  Thank Sue2M
See more reviews
Reviewed 11 November 2016

if you are looking for a stable that is professional, has great horses and guides, this is it. The owners, Carine and Serge are lovely people, and their team of Yves, Stephanie and Muriel are really very knowlegeable and nice. They know how to pair the horses with their riders and both beginners and experienced riders will be very happy. The horses are very well taken care of, have shade, food, water and also have their days off. Thank you very much for a lovely week, we will be back!