“Excellent flamenkurche”

La Scala
Ranked #103 of 155 Restaurants in Boulogne-sur-Mer
Cuisines: French
Reviewed 26 May 2018

I’m really surprised at some of the negative reviews. Staff were attentive and could not have been more helpful. Had flamenkurche forestiere which was truly excellent and a good cafe gourmand to finish. First class.

Reviewed 26 May 2018

My husband had memories of eating at La Scala some 20 years ago when he had thoroughly enjoyed his Flamenkueche. Now that ferries from the UK no longer sail to Boulogne we have got out of the habit of spending time in this beautiful old city. This time we decided to take a more leisurely approach to our journey staying overnight in Boulogne at the start and end of the holiday.

On our first night we walked around the town and were delighted to find that La Scala was still open. The terrasse was full that night so we decided to eat here on the last night of our holiday so that we could reserve a table in advance.

Reservation made we arrived at the restaurant as planned. Staff were attentive and pleasant throughout and we were delighted with everything we ordered. The Flamenkueche lived up to my husband’s hopes, to such extent that we have been attempting to make the same at home. My main course was an excellent pasta dish with peppers and tomatoes. We each had a café gourmand by way of dessert. This was extremely generous but as it was also extremely good we managed to finish all that was offered!

We chatted with the owners as we paid our bill, as I recall they have had the restaurant for some 23 years so it will have been their Flamenkueche that had stayed in my huband’s memory for the past two decades. We are both delighted that the establishment continues as before and we will certainly be returning as soon as we can. Boulogne must have suffered enormously when the ferries gave up on the port; a great pity because the town has a great deal to offer.

1  Thank Diana B
Reviewed 1 November 2017

we came here during the day and saw that they had good prices, which obviously makes things sometimes suspicious, but boy did we get a deal! a full meal would cost 15 euros and that entailed a starter (we had escargot, soup) a main course (mussels with fries, pizza, steak, fish) and creme brulee as desert! and the portions are big! we also had wine and water and the bill was less than 20 euro a head. we asked for extra tomato for our little one and they did not charge for it, was almost a whole tomato salad! and to top it off, did we left our iphone there, they kept it and were very friendly after we returned when they just closed down.

nice family run business, worth every euro and delicious! we went the next day to one of the top 10 tripadvisor restaurants, and were really disappointed that we did not come back here.

Reviewed 30 September 2017 via mobile

My Fiancé and I visited La Scala for lunch in Boulogne.

The restaurant is located opposite the town hall. Last weekend we were fortunate that is was a sunny day. Two weddings were using the square for photos.

La Scala offers a variety of set menus at different price points. The service was friendly and fast.

We had pate and the Steak followed by ice cream and crème brûlée.

Very tasty lunch with a lovely setting.

Reviewed 21 July 2017

We visited this restaurant again this Monday and we had a lovely welcome from the owners, we sat down at a very clean restaurant and enjoyed some good food. My husband and I both had the Coquille Fruit de Mer which was full of squid and small mussels and very tasty. I asked for my steak frites to be Saignant (rare) and it was perfect. My husband had the boeuf bourguignon which was also cooked exactly right. We shared a plate of cheese and with drinks the meal came around 45 euros which we thought was very reasonable for the good quality food we enjoyed. We paid over £100 for the same meal in Covent Garden and it was awful. I do wish people would stop writing such bad reviews of this place as they are totally uncalled for.