“Didn’t quite live up to expectations.”
Review of La Grillardine

La Grillardine
Price range: US$16 - US$27
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2018

Spent quite a while researching for our day to Boulogne with our young granddaughter and to be honest was expecting more. The waitress was very friendly and between my poor French and her poor English we managed to work out what we were having. My husband and I had the baked Camembert starter which was very nice and would have been even better with some fresh crusty French bread rather than soft white sliced. I was hoping for moules which sadly was not on the menu, so we all ordered the minute steak with frites and the shallot sauce; one was really nice, one was ok but the third was very chewy indeed; the frites were fresh and hot, sauce was very runny but tasty. Our granddaughters steak meal was part of the two course children’s menu and so she opted for Mousse au chocolat for her dessert which she liked but was too rich for her to finish. Drinks ordered were a kir, a 25cl pitcher of Chardonnay, a coke and an alcohol free cocktail for the little one. Total cost was €68. Back to the research for next time.

Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

There's a tiny grill to serve the few tables. Menu is limited and when we visited, chicken ran out and there wasn't any fish available. There's nothing delicate here - meat with sauces: ribs, mixed grill etc. Some of ours was burnt. So not sure why this restaurant gets such good reviews. Not a French dining experience.

Reviewed 18 August 2017

Nice little restaurant with a friendly couple running the place. They specialize in meat so not many fish choices. The beef was surprisingly tender, you can ask for some veggies and rice as a change to ubiquitous fries everywhere. There seemed to be quite a few locals, which is always a good sign. My only remark would be that the tea cup was very small, half-filled with water cooling oof very quickly - for a tea drinker like me that's a definite no-go.

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

I checked the reviews of the closest restaurants to my hotel and saw La Grillardine had generally good reviews.

I was greeted by the friendly owners who after my attempt at a couple of sentences in French, spoke quite good English.

Having read the good reviews I was surprised at how low the prices were. There were options for as little as 9-10 euros for a main or a set menu for around 17 euros, however I opted for the entrecôte (steak) with shallot sauce for a very reasonable 16 euros and was pleased I did.

The food was ready in a matter of minutes and looked and smelled fantastic. I opted for a medium steak and it was cooked to perfection. The meal came with vegetables with a balsamic dressing which finished off the dish.

There were three options for dessert and I had the citron tart and ice cream which again was very nice.

I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant to anybody and will definitely return on my next visit.

2  Thank David W
Reviewed 24 June 2017 via mobile

Up to the usual standard, frequented this establishment for the forth time. Never disappointed. The hosts/owners are vey welcoming and whilst not brilliant with English we get by with a few laughs. Well worth a visit if you are in the area.

2  Thank Slot90