“Gone downhill”

Ranked #3 of 10 Restaurants in Hullbridge
Price range: US$16 - US$47
Cuisines: Contemporary, British, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: With its stunning waterfront location overlooking the River Crouch, situated in the unspoiled village of Hullbridge, The Anchor offers the perfect tranquil destination to unwind and relax with friends and family. Set deep in the heart of the charming Essex countryside and surrounded by acres of green belt farmland and a nature reserve, visitors can enjoy spectacular views of the river and undulating hills. A lovely garden and large decked terraces offer plenty of space for eating outside . If you prefer to be inside, the riverside Orangery with its floor to ceiling glass windows and an abundance of natural light, is the perfect alternative.
Reviewed 3 May 2018 via mobile

Last year, The Anchor was my favourite restaurant.
I was really sad at the start of the year when I went to see the vegan menu had gone along with the head chef who created it.
After messaging the restaurant on social media they said that they would be adding vegan food to the menu.
So I thought I’d go back to try.
There is just one item each for a starter, main , dessert.
I didn’t have a starter. The main is based on the old chefs creation but just doesn’t have the same flavour sadly.
The dessert is just sorbet? Enough said!!!!
With so many restaurants coming up in the world and providing for vegans/ dairy free etc I’m very surprised.

My husband ( not vegan) was also not particularly impressed with his food compared to normal.
The restaurant has been taken over and is just not the same. The atmosphere seems different.

Such a shame. We used to visit at least once a month.

I’ve now started to go elsewhere, to the many other pubs and restaurants around now that cater well for vegans and have a nice friendly feel to them.

Hopefully it will be turned around and I’ll give it a go again

13  Thank LandDEssex
Oakman I, General Manager at The Anchor Riverside Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2018

Many thanks for your comments,

Whilst we do not have the same chef anymore, we do have many vegan options on our menu. Just a few of our starter options are the Tomato Bruschetta, Red Pepper Hummus & Puccia bread and the Beetroot Falafels (minus the Tzatziki). For a main course, you could have had our plant-based Portobello Mushroom Cottage Pie or our Courgetti Primavera, as well as a selection of Salads. To finish we serve some delicious vegan desserts, both our Sticky Toffee Pudding and Apple and Berry Crumble can be made into vegan dishes should you remove the ice cream. Our Ice cream supplier is Nothern Bloc who make our fantastic Lemon Sorbet and Vegan Chocolate and Orange Blossom ice cream which is available on our menu.

If you are ever unsure of how to find the vegan options on our menu they are all marked with a VE or you can ask a member of the waiting staff who will be very happy to help you. We do hope that you will visit us again in the near future and sample some of the dishes.

Kind Regards,

Sophie
The Anchor Team.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

Had our Sunday noms here and it was excellent. Soup of the day was carrot and was very good. Fish and chips was perfect. Nice chips. Perfectly cooked fish. Pleasant staff and good beer. Noisy kids the only downside but can't win them all. Highly recommended.

1  Thank 391Dolph13
Oakman I, Manager at The Anchor Riverside Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Thank you so much for your positive review.

We very much look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind Regards,
The Anchor Management Team

Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

The food was Salty and Cold. How disappointing. I can honestly say I would not recommend this place to eat. Gone down hill!

15  Thank suefrancis2

Since we have taken ownership, The food and menu have changed. We hope that you raised your concerns with our team at the time of your visit so that we could do something to make amends; we will always offer to replace food that does not come up to our guest's expectations.

We hope you will change your mind about coming back to us and give us the opportunity to show what we are all about.

Regards,

The Anchor Reservations Team.

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

We used to go to this place reguararly and although expensive it was always nice food and excellent service. We went last week for wives birthday as haven't been there for a year and I must say it was the worst food and service out of a restaurant we have received. My wife ordered chicken for her main course which was burnt bbq chicken on the outside and red on the inside so she didn't eat it, I had a ribeye supposed to be medium rare and it was well over cooked. Both accompanied with frozen packet chips. We will never go back there and certainly would never recommend it to anyone anymore. Avoid being ripped off

16  Thank Malcolm E
Oakman I, General Manager at The Anchor Riverside Pub and Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback Malcolm; it's important that people feel they can tell us about their experiences with us - both good and bad.

Since we have taken ownership, we ARE offering a completely different menu, service and experience to what you would have have under the previous management. This doesn't excuse the quality of the food you received by any means, however, and I hope that you raised your concerns with our team at the time of your visit (although you don't mention this) so that we could do something to make amends; we will always offer to replace food that does not come up to our guest's expectations. I can assure you, however, that we do NOT use "frozen packet chips".

I hope you will change your mind about coming back to us and give us the opportunity to show what we are all about.

Best regards,

Reviewed 23 April 2018 via mobile

I had read that The Anchor had a vegan menu so we booked to come for a birthday lunch for my mum. I am the only vegan. The vegan menu only had one option which was a curry. I'm not a fussy person but I really dislike curry so I asked the waiter if there was anything off the main menu that could be made vegan instead. I was thinking of one of the salads with a couple of substitutes. The waiter told me that he didn't know a lot about a vegan diet but would make sure the order was put through as "gluten-free." I explained that as a vegan, I can eat gluten but I don't eat dairy. He then asked me if I eat meat!! I was shocked at this point and did not really want to order anything from a restaurant who clearly have not properly trained their staff. The fact that the restaurant has a vegan menu and waiters do not even know what a vegan diet is?! This not fill me with confidence in eating anything. In the end, the waiter spoke to the chef who said I could have a vegetable risotto. I love risotto so was pleased with this offer however when the dish came, it was under cooked (the rice was still hard) and the flavours were not nice at all. I definitely will not be returning here.

16  Thank Charlotte N