“Stunning food”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 November 2016

We were recommended to this restaurant by a friend who lives in Naples as we were staying locally at the hotel Angioleri. It was a quiet night being a Monday, quaint interior with a modern twist, rather brusque service but the food was excellent. Amuse bouche arrived that were exquisite with a variation of flattened fried spaghetti, I had the raw prawns form North and South that were presented in the shape of Italy, followed by a lemon flavoured spaghetti, a signature dish of the restaurant not to be missed and them a fish course. I finished with a hot chocolate dish and an amazing cherry liqueur. Passionate staff about their restaurant, very attentive maitre de, highly recommended.

Reviewed 6 June 2016

Wonderful restaurant, great food and warm ambiance. Put this at the top of your list for restaurants in Vico Equense!

Reviewed 11 May 2015

I reserved this restaurant very in advance for it is a one Michelin star.
They confirmed the reservation for April 7th, 2015, a Tuesday.
When we arrived, it was closed, yes, closed. On the other day I sent them an e-mail and they answered saying someone in the family has died. But, they did not know we asked a person that works at a bakery close to the restaurant and that person told us: "Tuesday, they close on Tuesdays".
Isn't unbelievable?

Reviewed 7 January 2015

I dined solo at Antica Osteria Nonna Rosa on a recent business trip to Vico Equense. The restaurant is located on a hillside in an old house (quite a climb up from the town center). The restaurant offers various dining options, and I chose the 70 Euro chef's surprise menu plus the 25 Euro wine pairing (which ended up being quite generous). Because I was by myself, to pass time between courses, I decided to log the various courses on my mobile phone and to take pictures to share with my wife later on. I therefore actually have a good record of what I ate:

1) Amuse bouche - small meatball served in cocktail class with a creamy cheese

2) Home made breadstick with olive oil

3) Two slices of home made breads made with anise and walnut (replenished throughout the meal)

Sparkling wine

4) Tiny pizza escarola filled with spinach and anchovy

5) Three balls of shrimp crudo with peach vinaigrette

6) Fish soup with potato, lemon and camomile

Second glass of wine from the slopes of Mount Aetna

7) Braised pork belly with porcini on pumpkin puree, with some popcorn crumbs for texture (amazing)

8) Traditional pasta with red mullet and lime in a broth. Unfortunately the pasta was undercooked and therefore this was not a completely successful dish

Third wine from Avellino (Campagna area).

9) Risotto with mussels and potatoes -amazing flavor but slightly too crunchy, however the rice softened up appropriately

Fourth wine - Aglianico from the same area as the third wine

10) Three home made tortelloni with ricotta and gorgonzola filling and fig and walnut topping

11) Red Mullet with almond milk and breadcrumbs - exquisite

12) Pre-dessert lemon sorbetto

Amareno cherry liqueur

13) Ricotta gelato and amareno cherry vanilla cream pasta

14) Trio of desserts - candied lime peel, cinnamon doughnut, and Chinese plum

Now I am about to explode, so the only solution is to order a Grappa from their collection. Finally they served an espresso that may have been one of the best I have had. The matron of the house was kind enough to offer to drive me back to the hotel (no, its not what you think...), but i needed the walk. Overall, the experience was excellent despite the pasta course. The little slip up may have been due to the fact that the main chef was out of town opening another restaurant. The food was presented beautifully and the quality of the meal was deserving of the Michelin star that the restaurant holds. For a hundred Euros total, this was really a steal in my opinion. I should also say that the staff spoke rudimentary English, but tried their very best to relay the information of the food to me.

Now here is the funny thing, on the way out, my main server warmly shook my hand, and with a wink-wink, nudge nudge mumbled something about Michelin guide to me. I can only surmise that a single diner in a suit taking pictures and notes about all the courses may have been mistaken for a Michelin guide reviewer... I did nothing to dispel the perception and left with a smirk.

4  Thank Phileas_Blog
Reviewed 4 October 2014

This restaurant now has a Michelin star and deservedly so. Every course was exquisite including the numerous additions between courses. The restaurant is delightfully quirky and intimate and the service impeccable and friendly. We were dining just as a couple amongst some tables of four who were known to the staff but we received just as much attention. We wanted both white and red wine to accompany the food and so ordered by the glass and left the choice to the waiter. Both were absolutely excellent - in fact some of the most enjoyable Italian wines we had experienced during our stay. The cost including coffee was €115.00 - unbelievable value. The only very minor criticism would be that the lighting was just a little too bright for our taste but this is subjective and living France we know that for the French it would be perfect.Seek it out if you are anywhere near this area.

1  Thank D0ug_T690