All reviews school trip head waiter bay of naples sea view train station ceiling fan mandolin player school party restaurant balcony facing the road pasta and pizza black sand air con laundry service small town rooms are basic boat trips to capri
Reviewed 25 September 2018

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Mary during a group tour through Europe. I had looked at the pictures online beforehand and I looked forward to the stay. We had a room with a double bed and single. The lock to our door was very difficult to unlock. We had to ask for assistance in order to get into our room. The floor was a beautiful blue tile with a private balcony facing a winding road. The balcony had a small table and 2 chairs with a beautiful view of the mountainside and lovely Italian homes/hotels. In order to operate the a/c, we had to turn it on with a remote control. When we left the room for the day, housekeeping turned off the a/c, so the room was hot when we returned. We had to pay an additional 5 euro in order to access the wifi. Our tour group ate breakfast and dinner at the hotel, which was included in our tour package. The breakfast was okay, but needed more variety. We had to pay an additional fee for our water at dinner. We needed laundry service at that point in our tour. Hotel Mary offered a laundry service with a 48 hour turnaround time with dry cleaning fees. We opted to walk 10-15 minutes into town to a laundromat. A shuttle service is available during the day, but there were additional fees in the evening. A number of restaurants are in walking distance to the hotel. Definitely take the ferry to the island of Capri during your stay!

Stayed: July 2018
Reviewed 12 September 2018

We stayed here for a school trip - around 30 of us. The rooms were very clean, airy and large. The pool area was also kept to a high standard, however the pool was not heated when we visited. The food in the restaurants was brilliant and reasonably priced. The hotel isn't too far away from the town centre, and the views from the hotel rooms were brilliant.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2018 via mobile

Nice hotel but a bit noisy at times so avoid school holiday times! Mario the head waiter is fun and recommend some nice dishes and wine. The hotel rooms are basic but clean and tidy, we found it ideal for our needs for touring the area and coming back for a drink on the balcony.. The pool was clean and ok to swim in. Views are amazing and the staff are very friendly

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2018

Stayed for 6 nights on a Leger Holidays Tour (August 2017). I had a single room - clean and tidy with balcony and sea view (a great bonus). Good breakfast selection (continental-style). 3 course dinners (selections made at breakfast). Sea views from restaurant (amazing sunset scenes). Adequate hotel pool; short walk to beach although down a lot of steps - access to loungers on beach. Used hotel taxi to get back from beach - 2 euros each, but worth it! Around 10 minute walk into town centre for bars and restaurants - worth an evening stroll for the atmosphere.

Stayed: September 2017
Reviewed 8 August 2018

Having read the previous reviews, I was a bit unsure as what to find, especially as it was with Leger Tours from which the hotel seems to attract a some criticism.

The hotel is located on a busy street leading in to Vico Equense. I had a room overlooking the road, which to be honest didn’t bother me, the double glazing was adequate to keep out most of the noise. A small balcony allowed you to watch the world go by if you wanted. However the views on the other side of the hotel were spectacular and are the ones to get if possible.

The rooms are basic, but I found comfortable. No tea making facilities which was a bit of a bind as I like a cuppa before bed! The bathroom in my room was pehaps on the small side, but was usable. Housekeeping was good and the rooms cleaned to a high standard.

The biggest problem with the rooms, I found was that the doors were on the flimsy side, which meant that most of the noise came from inside the hotel as people were entering / leaving the hotel. Didn’t have much of a problem with noise elsewhere, but that could have been with the room being on the second floor.

The hotel staff were in general friendly, the restaurant staff a little reserved at the start but became more open as the week went on. I won’t say then food was great, but then it wasn’t bad either - being with Leger meant food was provided as part of a package with three options for the first two courses and two options for desert. There was always the a la carte menu if you were happy to pay - we were happy with what was provided however.

One bugbear - you have to pay for th WiFi - I suspect a Leger thing, but in this day and age? It would be nice to have at least a basic limited free WiFi and pay for upgrade if you require.

There is also a pool, which benefits from the stunning views.

Vice Equense is around 5 mins walk up the hill, with bank, supermarket and bars, from which you can sit and watch life go on - quite relaxing. Also 10 minutes away is the station for the Circumvesuvania, from which you can reach Pompei, Sorrento, Herculaneum and Naples. There are two services, local stopping and a tourist orientated “express” stopping at limited stations. Both are heavily used so you may have to stand, but make sure you get the correct ticket as they are not valid for both services.

So to sum up: a clean, simple hotel with generally friendly staff which has good transport links if you need it. Food, if you are on a package certainly isn’t the best but it not bad either and the a la carte stuff did look good. Beds are on the firm side but I found comfortable (bed comfort is such a personal thing anyway). Just those doors!!

Room Tip: If you want the best view request a room on the harbour side
Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family