“Deserves a better ranking in Spoleto's restaurant list”

Dei Pini Ristorante
Ranked #23 of 187 Restaurants in Spoleto
Price range: US$17 - US$29
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 16 September 2016

During our past trips, we attempted once to eat here but it was booked out. This time my brother organised a family catch up and when he told us it was by Giancarlo it became more interesting. The restaurant was packed; our group of 14 adults and one child was seated at the end of one room and though our big number everyone of us could pick an entree out of 7, a main out of 8 and a dessert out of 6. My partner and I chose strangozzi with tomato and sanguinosi mushrooms, tortellini panna e tartufo, straccetti with rucola and balsamico, stew of tripe in a light tomato sauce (the best ever had), crescionda and zuppa inglese (trifle). Our young relative wanted a more simple pasta and there was no trouble. It looks like they serve the customers like 45 years ago; no written menu, the wines in the 1,75 litre bottle and unpretentious glasses but still on fabric tablecloth and with proper napkins. The venue deserves a note also for the Due Mondi Festival framed posters (the entire collection since 1958) and the unbelievable vintage postcards of Spoleto, a rarity missing in the town's museums.

Reviewed 18 August 2016

We we a group of 3 cars (10 persons) driving from Rome to Marche. I had looked a nice restaurant for us to have lunch on our way. Unfortunately it was closed, so we had to look somewhere else.
We were so lucky to found this restaurant! What a little gem! We had pastas and salads and coffees and a lot of water and it cost only 80€! Everything was very good! My son especially liked the salad.
There is no written menu so it takes a little while and effort to listen to the waiter... Everybody else were locals and they were eating very good looking grilled meat, we wished we had had more time to enjoy some as well!

Reviewed 13 February 2016

I heard many stories about this place and it was all even better then that!
We sat down and the owner Giancarlo (famous person in Spoleto and surroundings) comes to the table to say by heart the daily menu (you don't get a menu card).
Main dishes and after that the second dishes. There was soo much choice!! I am a native italian but I had to focus very well to remember all the dishes available and make a good choice.
I was recommended from a local friend that eats there almost weekly to eat the tagliatelle dei pini, really AMAZING and huge portions!
For second I ate the meatballs and my friends ate the straccetti with rucola which were really good!!
We ordered in total 1 bottle of water, 1 glass of wine (they gave me 1 quarter of a liter!), 4 main dishes, 4 second dishes, 3 desserts and a coffee

Total bill was 60 euro
It was a true party for the taste buds!
Make sure to book a table in advance, it gets full very quickly.

Reviewed 14 December 2015 via mobile

Had lunch. The choice of items quoted by the waiter left out many items quoted to the Italian patrons. I speak Italian and the list quoted to others was far more interesting. The pasta was good but the mains were not good. Husband had trout that was pulled out of the freezer, microwaved to thaw and then grilled - inedible. Can't comment on the desserts as we couldn't get out of there fast enough.

Reviewed 25 September 2015

We reserved for 19:30 and by 20:00 it was full and people were being turned away. Half were children and all except us were speaking Italian.

The food was good.

But
Are you inclined to order dishes without knowing their cost? (Even "Market Price" can be inquired about.) Perhaps you are but at Pini you will not know all that's available that night and you will not know the price of any offering--just a final total!

That requires a lot of trust.