All reviews lake view excellent restaurant garden structure rome clients decoration
Reviewed 25 July 2016

Beautiful little spot.

The pros:
Everything is very well maintained. The grounds keeper is the hardest working person I think I've ever seen. All ways happy to see you and says hello (well in Italian). He is up before anyone putting out the pillows and stuff on chairs and he was there working on things in the garden to well past when we went to bed. So everything is clean and very well maintained.
The Decking which goes out to the lake is an amazing place to chill out. We preferred this to the beach. The 3 days we spent down there, we were the only people so we had it to our selves and it was so perfect for relaxing/reading a book/sunbathing.
The food in the evening was good, both times I had a steak with a side of veg and chips. Spot on and different to the normal pasta/pizza options. The breakfast was ok, typical Italian hotel style breaky. All waiters and waitresses were very friendly and best service of any place we had in Italy.

The Cons:
Other guests. This was our only complaint which I guess the hotel can't do much about so it's not there fault. Though maybe one thing would be the walls were too thin. The room next to our room were very loud and the room above sounded like they were walking around in high heals. But it was mainly the room next door, every single night it sounded like they were moving furniture, or their dog was barking (I love dogs, just not the small yappy kind) or the kid was screaming. 2 of the 4 nights it went on till past 12.
While sitting for dinner, there were many guests who brought babies and it just so happened each one of them was trying to out scream each other. I don't mind babies, but the amount of babies there, it ruined it a little for us when we were trying to have a nice relaxing evening meal with some wine. Just unlucky on the time we went I guess.
Also, the private beach we did not enjoy. So packed in and it's not private, you just get a sunbed and umbrella at the end of a long line of them and it's rammed.

Few little side points. The pool is indoors with the spa, it's required that you reserve it, but you will be the only people in there. It's freezing cold so you won't spend a lot of time in there, but you will rather be in the sun. The only thing this place is missing, is an outdoor pool.
Dinner also needs to be reserved.

Room Tip: Higher floors would be quieter
  • Stayed: July 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2015

My stay at this hotel was average - the hotel has great potential but needs to be updated.

My dining experience in the evening was terrible. The dining room was understaffed
and the waitress was absolutely rude.

The breakfast was much better and the waitress was great.

The front desk staff was courteous and helpful

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled solo
2  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 18 August 2015 via mobile

We stayed here after 3 days in Rome. The hotel was just what we needed. The grounds are well kept and dotted with sun loungers. The decking by the side of the water was our favourite peaceful spot.
The evening meal was very nice and breakfast each morning was a lovely spread.
The beach is a 10/15min walk away, but the hotel provided a free transfer service. Lots of other restaurants to try along the coast for lunch, dinner or an evening drink.
We got the train and bus out of Rome, in hindsight, we should have pre-booked a local taxi for when we arrived in sabaudia as the hotel taxi was a bit pricey for the distance covered. It did arrive within 5mins of asking though!
I would stay here again if in the area and would definitely recommend a beach break after Rome!

Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EmilyBeee
Reviewed 5 August 2015

WOW. That is really all I can say about Il San Francesco! We stayed here one night as an escape from the Roman heat. It is a bit difficult to find with driving, but once you find it--it's such a gem!

The first thing I noticed about the grounds is the beautiful and quiet garden adorned with white flowers- it looked like a wedding reception! Only to find out it's always like that. The rooms were great- we had an amazing terrace overlooking the garden. There was A/C in the rooms and I must add this was one of the best sleeps I've had in a long time!

Staff super friendly, buffet breakfast included in your stay is delicious with a huge spread of variety. There are some lounge chairs hidden on a few decks right on the lake where we spent half of the afternoon. It felt like it was just us staying in the hotel, super quiet and romantic.

It's not on the beach, but it's about a 5 minute drive and they also have bikes you can borrow! I would most definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again in a heart beat!

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2015 via mobile

Lots of white marble and many rooms with a pretty lake view. Full breakfast and helpful staff. A bit hard to find and a shame to not be on the ocean, but in the shoulder season a good value. Very very quiet with open grassy grounds. Relaxing place.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple