“Absolutely the best.”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours
Description: Gelateri Artigianale E Aferrara
Reviewed 12 June 2017 via mobile

This little place is not in the center of Ferrara, but you can easily walk here from the center, then it's a perfect place to take your gelato and walk along the beautiful shady walls (which are now a shady tree lined park and walking area) that surround the medieval city. This place boasts a flavor that is epic and memorable called nuttelone- it's like Dark chocolate melted heaven on crack- it's like cake batter made from hazelnuts plus happiness. It's so melt happy they can't put it in a cone. Get some. It's so memorable we came here just for this and we were not disappointed.

Reviewed 13 July 2015 via mobile

Excellent quality! Price is not cheap but right.
We prefer vanilla and chocolate creams.
It's worth to stop by after leaving the car in the near large public parking, especially if coming from "Ferrara Sud" motorway exit and going to visit the very city centre.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

I discovered this gift of the gods on my first day in Ferrara. After my first experience, I did not miss a day except the Monday when the shop was closed. On that day, I went to a shop (the name of which I have no wish to remember) on the Via Romana. The contrast between the excellent flavour and richness of the ice cream at Gelateria Baluardi and the other product was heaven and earth. If it is a hot day, try the fruit flavours. They are bright and refreshing. The fresh tart lemon has real pucker power! If it is a cooler day, you cannot go wrong with the intense richness of the chocolate or the crème - in fact, why not have both flavours in one cup or cone! I had several lovely conversations in English with one of the owners, too. The vine covered seating area is an oasis on a warm afternoon.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Super nice server. Very fresh and broad flavor selection. Judged by the family to be the best of the 5 shops we tried in Ferrara.
Nice place to sit out front and enjoy the night.

1  Thank BradR269
Reviewed 11 June 2013

If you are ever in Ferrara, or nearby, you'd be crazy not to make your way down to Gelateria Baluardi. The shop is adorable, with outdoor seating, and the presentation of the gelato is salivating! The best part of course is the taste! The gelato was amazing, creamy and extremely flavorful, and all four of my friends and I felt the same. Walter, the owner, is so full of life, and is passionate about making the best gelato, which makes it a wonderful experience. I hope I get to make it back before my trip to Italy is over!