“Great food and great wine list”
Review of Caffe Umberto

Caffe Umberto
Ranked #18 of 209 Restaurants in Alba
Cuisines: Wine Bar
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2018

The first night in Alba they were closed but tried again the following night and we were not disappointed. The food was very good and the wine list excellent.

Reviewed 19 December 2017

Excellent albeit small selection menu that changes over the seasons. The Vitello Tonnato was as good as we had in out time in Piedmont. Their wine list is one of the better lists around too.

Reviewed 29 November 2017 via mobile

We visited Caffe Umberto at the recommendation of our host. She actually recommended Eno Club, which is the Sister restaurant just downstairs. We dined upstairs in the more casual Caffe Umberto. It was a happy accident! The wine list was very extensive (mostly wines from the Langhe region. Which is why you come to Alba anyway, right?!) and the sommelier was very knowledgeable although a bit hard to have a conversation with.

The menu was not as extensive as the restaurant downstairs, but had many delicious options. We happened to be there during the truffle season, so we enjoyed the Alba white truffles.

When paying our bill, the manager offered us a complimentary tasting of Grappa. We enjoyed it so much we made a reservation for the following night downstairs at EnoClub.

1  Thank Rachel J
Reviewed 10 November 2017

We visit Caffe Umberto every time we go to Alba - wonderful food, efficient and friendly service, and a great selection of wines. The local specialties like Bra raw sausage, Vitello Tonnato, handmade (Tajarin) pasta with Bra sausage ragout are wonderful. But the cod fillet cooked sous vide and the hamburger with foie gras are also standouts.
They also have great vegan options across the menu.

Reviewed 17 October 2017

I visited Alba in early October as part of a group bicycle trip with friends and two local guides. We had a beautiful large table in the basement/wine cellar of the restaurant -- beautifully lit and elegantly presented. We had a set menu designed to highlight truffles given that we were in the truffle capital of Italy and white truffles are in season in October.
Along with the food we also sampled some exceptional wines -- a 20 year old Barolo and a younger Barbera D' Alba. Both wines were good but the Barolo stood out. Of course.
All of the courses were really good. I think oddly for me, the truffles didn't add as much flavor as I thought they might. After starting with an amuse bouche of crostini and porcini mushrooms (super delicious) we had a very light flan with a small piece of pickled yellow pepper -- which provided a really nice contrast with the flan. The flan was then shaved with copious amounts of black truffle. It was delicious, but maybe being a novice to truffles I didn't quite taste the unique truffle quality. This was followed by a risotto that was also shaved with tons of white truffle. The white truffle really has an amazing fragrance to it, but I can't say that it transferred to a distinct taste for me. I feel like a bit of a cretin for saying this, because these truffles are worth hundreds of dollars and the whole point of the meal was to experience these rare and transient fungi. We had a cut of Fassone beef, braised in red wine, that was like a very high quality pot roast -- I say that as someone who loves pot roast. But the meat was very lean and exceptionally tender. And rich tasting from the wine. The dessert was one of the best we had -- at least for chocolate lovers -- three layers of chocolate. One of chocolate biscotti, with a chocolate flan topped with a darker chocolate mousse. It doesn't sound it, but it was pretty light.

The next day (after this pretty amazing meal) we visited a local man who hunts truffles with his specially trained dog. And we learned just how rare the white truffle is, how they cannot be cultivated, and how the scent, which attracts the dog through sometimes as much as 18" of soil, is only present for a couple of hours when the truffle is ripe. So a dog can go back over an area it has already scouted and find a new truffle that simply wasn't ready maybe an hour earlier. Everything about the truffle is mysterious, including, to me the fragrance. I can't compare it to anything else I've ever smelled. I think if you are in Alba you should definitely include truffles in your gastronomical itinerary and Caffe Umberto is an excellent place to try them.