All reviews overlooking the harbour tall ship spa bath bistro menu fish pie the pub fantastic location eden project single room rashleigh arms great room no lift st austell brewery one night stay short break high standard well worth a visit
Reviewed 22 May 2017

Having initially given a glowing review of Pier House Hotel when we first moved to Charlestown, followed by a subsequent extremely critical review some time later, my wife and I decided to give them the benefit of the doubt a couple of weeks ago (Monday 8th May). Everyone has a bad day sometimes, so we thought we would pay another visit.
Regrettably, the decline I noted in my second review was not just a one-off and the visit that evening was again most disappointing overall.
My wife selected the Steak and Brie Baguette, which, just like on the last visit and nothing like it used to be, was all onions and very little strips of steak. Disappointing and poor value.
I had Scampi and Chips. The Chips were great, the peas were cold and the Scampi was crisp on the outside but undercooked and stodgy on the inside, i.e. been cooked to quickly.
The straw that broke the camel's back was the fact that one of the servers had collected a tray full of dirty and used glasses, which she put down on the table next to me while she was distracted by a friend of hers who had come into the pub. However, having concluded her chit chat, she then went off into the kitchen, leaving a tray of dirty glasses next to me while I was eating my dinner. Very pleasant, I don't think !!
In fact, it was extremely unprofessional and downright bad manners.
So, sorry Pier House Hotel, the reputation you enjoyed from my perspective when I first started using you has completely disappeared.
I am sure that won't stop you being busy in the summer months when the visitors flock into Charlestown no matter what.
You are in an enviable geographical location in a gorgeous little harbour and clearly don't think you have to bother with standards of catering or professionalism.
The only positive note about that night's visit is the fact that at least the young lady behind the bar was welcoming and cheerful.
However, I didn't go there for a smile, I went for dinner.
Sad but True !!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Brian G
Reviewed 21 May 2017 via mobile

Let me start with the positive, the bathroom was extremely clean, looked very new and I'd happily have it in my own home.

The staff were all friendly enough and I saw a few waitresses taking special requests at breakfast.

Breakfast - there were a fair amount of options given that breakfast was included in our room rate. The food itself however was rather average, well a bit below average to be honest.

The bed was comfortable enough to sleep when you've spent untold hours in the car and had a maximum of 4 hours sleep a night for the last couple of nights. The room did have temperature controls which I liked, although this was needed as the room was pretty cold when it was not on.
The room was fairly basic, not huge, the bed was nothing special. I did find two folded robes in the wardrobe which was a nice touch.
We could hear people speaking in the next room, although we could not hear their TV. When trying to sleep I could hear a lot of noise from outside and downstairs. Rooms above a restaurant and bar really need some good sound proofing. I was so exhausted from lack of sleep that I fell asleep regardless but on a normal night this would have kept me awake.

If this hotel/room was cheaper I would have given it an average rating but for what we paid I would expect to at least have a quiet room.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Pier House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2017

Thank you for your review on your recent stay with us at. Please accept my sincere apologies that the level of standards you experienced did not match your expectations. Your comments have been shared with the relevant Management so that they may deal with the issues that you have kindly brought to our attention. We take on board all customer feedback and will strive to improve all areas of our business through your constructive comments.

Reviewed 13 May 2017

It is difficult to fault this hotel.
The view from our window across the harbour out to sea was amazing
The overall cleanliness was second to none
Staff were first rate.
Only 2 niggles, a plug would have been useful in the spa bath & a bit more water pressure in the shower, but neither of these detracted from a great weekend we spent at the Pier House

Room Tip: go for a sea view
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Peter D
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Pier House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2017

Wow, thank you Peter D for this amazing 5* review! We are thrilled to read that you have annoyed your stay with us, and we do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled upon Charlestown and stayed for one night prior to a visit to the Eden Project and I wish we could have stayed longer.
The hotel was excellent - all the staff we encountered (reception and breakfast restaurant staff) were friendly and efficient. Our room was well furnished and spotless with the added bonus of a fantastic view.
We will most definitely return and have already recommended to many of our friends.

Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
StAustellManagement, Manager at The Pier House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your comments. We will certainly pass on your thanks to the team and thank you for recommending us to you friends. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 7 May 2017

This hotel sits in a charming spot, overlooking a picturesque harbour, with sailing ships docked a stone’s throw away. The hotel is old, with a maze of corridors to reach our room, which proved to be very small and cramped. Other rooms in the hotel are more spacious, and some have great views. Worth checking rather than just taking pot luck on line, as we did. Food in the restaurant was excellent – creatively presented, with generous helpings and friendly service. Parking was a bit of a problem. The hotel has none; we were referred to another hotel car park, 5 minutes away, where I counted more than 75 cars but found no space. I had to use a public car park which had the drawback of needing not only to be paid that evening, but required attendance at 8.30am the next day to purchase a new permit.

Room Tip: Check size and view before booking
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for your review - we really appreciate the time you've taken to share your experiences. Please be assured that all your comments are discussed by us a team and acted upon accordingly. We do hope to see you back here very soon!