“You arrive as a tourist, but quickly realize...”
other travellers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
hubbingto...
New Durham, NH
“You arrive as a tourist, but quickly realize everyone treats you like a friend.”
Reviewed 9 March 2018 for a stay in February 2018
person found this review helpful

My family (wife and 18 & 19 year old) were looking for a place to just escape with a good view and a beach nearby. We had been going to the USVI for years (we booked this before the hurricane) but had been getting tired of being a tourist. You know when people expect tips for everything and any extra activities you do are scripted to the minute and often alcohol is what is pushed the most. Montserrat was exactly the opposite of that....it was wonderful.

The flight over to the island from Antigua was a great start. Sitting behind the pilot on the 6 person plane with a great sunset and a very small landing spot at the tiny airport. Questions before the flight with Fly Montserrat came with personable responses and smiles. The fellow in customs on Montserrat was also the guy we got our temp driver's license from....like I said...small place.

Tom (who owns the Crow's Nest Villa) emailed us several times before arrival and sent a packet over with all the important details. But I think the best thing Tom did was hire Yvette to handle on the details while we were on the island. She emailed us a few days before and asked if we would like some breakfast things in the frig since we would be getting in late. We took her up on her offer and even a cold bottle of wine waiting for us when we got there. She had a taxi (seemed more like just a nice guy using his car....which was great) meet us at the airport and our rental car was waiting in the driveway of the villa. Yvette was there to meet us and to be sure our vacation started off perfect. More on Yvette later....
Got up Monday morning to a perfect view (see listing) and walked down to the beach. A couple from Florida stopped us and went out of there way to fill us in on the additional questions that had come up about the island.
Tuesday morning decided to learn how to scuba dive and Charley (Charley is a very nice woman) and Jay from Montserrat Island Dive Center came to the villa and spent the morning with the four of us in the pool. My daughter had a bunch of issues and Charley and Jay were more patient than I would have been. They did not rush her and encouraged here to keep trying....they were definitely not worried about a schedule or their next appointment....they were worried about my daughter having a good experience. We headed down to the beach to do "our dive"....my wife chickened out, but Charley stuck with my daughter and went down with her and watched her for the whole time we were under. A very caring experience that i did not expect when getting intro lessons from experienced divers. We even ran across Jay several times later in the week and he stopped to chat and ask how we were enjoying the island.
Wednesday we went on the tour of Plymouth with Montserrat Island Tours. We had read good reviews of "Sunny" our guide and he was even better than expected. We spend four hours checking out the volcanic side of the island and the "forbidden zone" which only certain guides can get into. Walking around Plymouth with Sunny who can answer almost any question is something any visitor should not miss.
Interesting reminder of how different Montserrat is. I emailed Sunny's wife Kristina before our trip and asked if we had a great experience what was the typical tip. Here is her exact response: "In regards to tipping, please do no feel it necessary to tip, we have no expectation on this." I don't think I have every had such a response before like this....of course he was excellent and we gave him a tip anyway.
Friday came and we had a legal issue back home and need to sign some paperwork and Yvette came to the rescue. She has us stop over to her office and she printed what we need to sign and scanned and sent it on its way. The she got us some trail maps and insisted she take us down and show us the start of the trail to Rendezvous Beach which we had planned on hiking that day. How's all that for a full service leasing agent!!
We didn't go out to eat much and will say the grocery stores are not like home in the US...but they worked out fine. (They hid the eggs behind the counter?) Did go to the Hill Top Coffee House for Saturday waffles which you should do and not to be missed is fish and chips at Hank's Beach Bar at sunset.
Oh....the villa. Great spot/great value. The view and proximity to the beach make it quite perfect. Everything worked fine include cable tv and wi-fi. Oh...and others have mentioned concern over nighttime bugs. we had none? Never used the bug spray we brought along.
If you are NOT looking for a tourist spot then this is a spot you will find refreshing.

16 Jun 2018
Peter,
Realised I have come back direct but not on this review. So glad you all had such a great experience on Montserrat. It truly is a unique and magical place, and always nice to hear people who share the same view.
Sounds like you had a cracking time. Please reach out should you wish to re-visit, we offer returning guests a 10% discount.
Really appreciate the feedback, and I have passed on your kind words to Yvette.
Thanks again
Matthew D
“We thoroughly enjoyed our stay - it was everything we expected and wanted.”
Reviewed 21 January 2018 for a stay in January 2018
people found this review helpful

My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Crow's Nest. First, the owners, Tom & Chrystal, were informative and responsive via email prior to our stay as we had many questions. The welcome package they provided was also extremely helpful.

Yvette, the property manager, was also a pleasure to work with. She called prior to our departure to arrange to meet once on Montserrat. We met at a restaurant in Brades and she allowed us to put our luggage in her car as well as the groceries we picked up at Ashok's. She also gave us a ride to the villa after we enjoyed lunch at Good Eats.

Yvette also put us in contact with a taxi driver, Milton, because we opted not to rent a car. He drove us around all week, was always available and prompt, and was one of the friendliest people we met while on the island, which says a lot because everyone is friendly. Highly recommended although he also works as a contractor; we happened to catch him at a time when he wasn't building houses.

The Crow's Nest itself was exactly what we were looking for. First off, the housekeeper, Jackie, cleaned the place up well after the previous guests had left earlier that day. Yvette helped as well while my girlfriend and I relaxed by the pool and took in amazing views of the ocean.

The kitchen had everything we needed as we like to cook and we spent a lot of our time at the villa to escape busy city life and the cold January weather. It really gave us an opportunity to unwind and relax, which is exactly what we wanted. The sunsets were beautiful, too.

Woodlands Beach is a short walk down the hill and it's secluded/not crowded and definitely recommended. We also did the hike to Rendezvous Beach, which is also recommended. Just note that the hike is very steep and gets treacherous on the backside/beach side of the mountain with narrow trails, loose rocks, and mud so if you're not in decent physical condition I recommend taking a boat to the beach instead. If you decide to hike, bring plenty of water and wear proper shoes and long pants. The beach is beautiful and secluded; there was only one other couple on the beach when we were there and they were on the opposite end of the beach.

We ate out a handful of times and recommend Hank's Beach Bar, Tina's, and The Attic. I suggest calling ahead of time to ensure they're open and to determine which local cuisines are available like the goat water at The Attic.

One important note - if you plan on using US dollars, they need to be in pristine condition. I took out a lot of cash from a local US bank prior to our departure and any bills that had ink on them, were creased, or had slight tears were rejected by businesses on Montserrat.

Other than that, our stay was exactly what we were looking for. The Crow's Nest was a beautiful, clean, and relaxing experience and we hope to make it back to Montserrat in the future.

9 Mar 2018
Peter, thanks again for yet more kind words regarding the villa. I’m glad the early arrival on change over day didn’t cause too much disruption, and thrilled you had such an enjoyable stay. We hope to welcome you back soon. Don’t forget the returning guest and refer-a-friend discounts.
Look forward to hearing from you soon
Susan B C
Mandeville, Louisiana
“The Crow’s Nest, The Woodlands, Montserrat”
Reviewed 14 January 2018 for a stay in December 2017
person found this review helpful

My husband and I love the Crow’s Nest because it is quiet, private, peaceful and beautiful.
I love looking at the Caribbean while I’m in the kitchen fixing a meal.
Every morning I can’t wait to look for the beautiful humming birds near the back door. Actually, I can see them from my bedroom window.
We hope to return next year.

15 Jan 2018
Thanks Susan and Joe. Always a pleasure to have you guys stay. As always we aim to improve the villa each year, with the aim of building a network of regular guests.
Returning guests get a 10% discount, while any recommendations which result in bookings similarly receive an additional 10% discount.
Anthony C
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Lovely Villa,in a peaceful location,wonderful views”
Reviewed 25 November 2017 for a stay in November 2017
person found this review helpful

Stayed for 4 nights on business, great communication with Tom beforehand, the briefing pack sent to us, contained everything you needed to know about the island and where to go, the villa itself is spacious and has everything a family would need for a self catering holiday.
Our company didn’t book us a hire car, I would suggest you need one, to get around the island, as taxi can be expensive. Another tip is to book ahead for most of the restaurants, for evening meals.
Had a great stay at the Crows Nest, and the beautiful island of Montseraat, great people, will defiantly return and some more of the island

30 Nov 2017
Thanks Tony, glad you had an enjoyable stay. Hope to hear from you again next time you're back be it business or pleasure.
Many thanks
Matthew K
“Had a great time!”
Reviewed 20 August 2017 for a stay in July 2017
person found this review helpful

I really enjoyed myself. It was the perfect place to vacation, great view of the ocean, great sunsets every evening and the nearby beach was virtually empty everyday. I plan to come back again!

Your age range 50-64
24 Aug 2017
Glad you enjoyed it, we look forward to seeing you next time.
Thanks
Tom & Chrystal
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing