“The View is Worth Every Cent”
other traveller has booked this property

Review of Alta Loma

Alta Loma's verdant grounds.
Alta Loma's spacious and lush grounds offer cool breezes and sweeping views of the Caribbean Sea. Welcome to Alta Loma in the Woodlands neighborhood of Montserrat!
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Alta Loma's verdant grounds.
Welcome to Alta Loma in the Woodlands neighborhood of Montserrat!
One of Alta Loma's many covered outdoor dining areas with westward views of the Caribbean ocean.
Your relaxing living room at Alta Loma.
Spacious living room.
Living room doors open directly onto pool area.
Living Room has lots of seating and a laptop work area.
Dining room.
A private study and reading room. The property includes Wireless internet and a fax machine.
Master bedroom shown with King sized bed layout (can be remade into extra-long twins).
Alta Loma's Master bedroom with two extra-long twin beds (which can be made up into a King), and adjacent private day...
There is also a separate seating area that is part of master suite.
Completely separate day room off Master bedroom, can be closed off with wooden shuttered doors, or left open.
Master bathroom.
Guest bedroom with queen sized bed.
Guest bathroom.
Alta Loma's tiled fresh water pool, and sundeck.
Lots of outdoor seating and deck space at Alta Loma.
Cool off in the pool or work on your tan in the sun, all while gazing out at the Caribbean sea!
Alta Loma's multi level outdoor deck allows for dining, entertaining, and swimming.
Hand crafted hard wood sliding doors offer privacy, and an ability to be opened to the ocean views.
Hand crafted hard wood sliding doors create privacy and security, but can be completely opened for a 'doorless' living...
The lawn on the left is the best spot for spying the elusive 'green flash' at sunset!
Welcome to Alta Loma!
View of the ocean from Alta Loma.
Pool at Alta Loma.
My favorite spot to meditate at Alta Loma.
Woodlands Beach: Montserrat's premier black sand beach is directly below, and a short walk from Alta Loma.
Mt. Soufriere Hills Volcano---a quiet testament to Montserrat's history.
The Mt. Soufriere Hills Volcano blowing off some steam!
Sunset from Alta Loma over the Caribbean sea!
Looking down onto one of Montserrat's best snorkeling spots from the edge of the Alta Loma lawn.
Sweeping green grounds lead up to the ocean below with views of the island of Redonda and Nevis.
Palms and mango trees abound at Alta Loma.
You will not get sick of this view at Alta Loma!
The Caribbean sea is calling you!
Little Bay.
View of Little Bay.
Lime Kiln Bay: one of Montserrat's many beautiful black sand beaches.
Woodlands Beach: Montserrat's premier black sand beach is walking distance from Alta Loma.
The Attic: a great spot for breakfast or lunch to enjoy Caribbean cuisine.
View of a cloud covered Souffrie Hills volcano from the Montserrat Volcano Observatory.(MVO).
A panoramic view of Plymouth, Isle's Bay, and Salem from the Montserrat Volcano Observatory.(MVO).
The Pont's Beach View Restaurant: a good spot for a local Caribbean dinner in Little Bay.
A view of Rendezvous Beach from the sea: Montserrat's only white sand beach, and a great spot to snorkel and dive. You...
Sunset at Isles' Bay Beach.
A panoramic view of the Isles Bay Beach and harbor.
Enjoy a happy hour sunset at 'Isle's Bay Beach Bar': Montserrat's premier beach bar, and home of the reconstituted...
Good advice to live by while vacationing on Montserrat!
Uncle's Place: a well known gathering spot for Expats on Friday Happy Hours. Located near the Montserrat Volcano...
Olveston House: An excellent dining option for those looking for European cuisine!
Woodlands Beach at Sunset.
Mt. Soufriere Hills Volcano.
Township of Salem
Plymouth and Isle's Bay.
Woodlands Beach's expansive black sands.
Woodlands Beach.
Woodlands Beach.
Distance to 'home' from Woodlands Beach.
Lime Kiln Beach and its soft black sand.
Isle's Bay Beach at Sunset.
The island of Montserrat as seen from sea.
The Island of Montserrat.
Fishing at sunset on Montserrat.
A picture of the Katy Hill trail hike from the summit. Montserrat's green slopes offer ample hiking opportunities.
Your reward for reaching the top of the summit: 360 degree views of Montserrat and the ocean!
Iguana on Montserrat.
Montserrat has some of the best preserved and healthy coral marine reefs in the Caribbean.
Montserrat's corral reefs: vibrant and home to a variety of aquatic life---a great place to snorkel and dive!
Montserrat and the Mt. Souferie Hills volcano letting off some steam! (As seen from the air).
The majestic Mt. Soufriere Hills Volcano.
Woodlands Bay Beach--majestic and expansive.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
Annapolis...
Annapolis, Maryland
“The View is Worth Every Cent”
Reviewed 16 November 2017 for a stay in July 2017

Let's start this off with, this is a BEAUTIFUL piece of land! Over looking the ocean with gorgeous sunsets. More mangos then a group of four could eat. Iguanas sunning by the pool. Goats and chicken wondering around the huge property.

Montserrat is the friendliest place on the planet - no joke. Never in my life have a met so many lovely people (except for the dude at the grocery store, but he was Indian)

The house has seen better days. I admit, it freaked me out at first. But, I am American. And a spoiled American at that. So, the electrical wires hanging out of the walls, boarded windows, janky office setting was a little off putting. After we settled in, we loved the kitchen, the beautiful teak doors/wall that opens to the amazing view. We had to do some DIY on the pool, for the pool guy was on Island time (which does not go over well with me: Mrs. type A personality) So we youtube how to run the pump and presto (read 48 hours later) we were swimming like fends. Which you need, since there is NO AC, which is a common occurrence on the island. Again, read: Spoiled American.

Any who - this is a magnificent piece of property if you keep your expectations in check.

Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Management Response
17 Nov 2017
Hey, Erica, thanks so much for this review. I love your take on the expectations of Americans! The majority of our clients are from Europe, and they do not have the same expectations, so I think your self-analysis is spot on. Some people don't care for the 1970s kitchen, so I'm glad you do. It certainly works well! And you are so right - Montserrat is so friendly! Hope to see you again on the Emerald Isle!
Bricksham
Brixham, United Kingdom
“So terrible we left after 3 days and rented alternative property”
Reviewed 30 January 2016 for a stay in January 2016
people found this review helpful

Words cannot descibe how bad this place is, so I have posted some up to date images.
This property is descibed as a luxury villa, it was but it isn't. The Villa was one of the best known on the island when it was built but sadly it is run down, in need of repair and dirty.
The travel arrangements, car rental, collection from airport were the only satisfactory part of our visit. When we arrived at the Villa we had to wait half an hour in the dark for the Manager to arrive with the keys, although they knew our arrival time.
The swimming pool was cloudy and the filter pump broke the first day, and had not been replaced by the time we left.
My wife cleaned areas of the property so they were inhabitable. Appliances in the kitchen were ancient, the toaster wouldn't toast unless the lever was held down.
Windows were boarded up, Broken glass in doors, guttering and other debris lying around the pool, broken bench seats along the pool and weeds growing in the pool edges.
Metal railings rusting, entrance gates rusty -automatic closers not working so gates secured with chain. Fly screens repaired with sticky tape
The only good thing were the wifi, gardens and iguanas who appeared on the wall.
We were in constant email contact with owners over condition, and when they were told we were leaving they did offer a refund of $700 which we had not asked for. We just wanted to get out of the place and enjoy our holiday, I don't know if we have received it yet.

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The gardens
Liked least: every thing else
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Management Response
10 Feb 2016
I was so sorry that this client had this response to the property. He was an excellent communicator leading up to his arrival, and continued to communicate clearly and courteously as we worked to resolve the problems he perceived at the property.

Previous clients, a family, had stayed there over Christmas, just a few days prior to this client's arrival, and they had no complaints.

According to our property manager, the villa was clean, i.e. cleaned after prior guests and cleaned again prior to this guest's arrival. I am not sure why she was 1/2 hour late to greet them. No one else has ever had any complaints about her service.

I had not been informed that the pool filter had any issues. Once I was alerted, we set the repairs in motion. Sadly, the client left 2 1/2 days after alerting me, and so the repairs had not been fully effected.
This villa has just had a new roof put on (November 2015), new Epi sliding doors in Living Room (2013), new glass doors in Living Room and Dining Room (Feb 2016), new microwave installed in kitchen (January 2015).
I never receiving any pictures from this client, so I really do not know what was the state of things. My property manager went to the property as soon as the clients left, and told me she could not agree with what he was saying.
My next clients came in 8 days after this client's reservation, and had NO COMPLAINTS. My annual long-term tenant, who has rented the house from Feb through April for the past four years, just arrived and is quite happy with the state of the property.

So, ?????????. My conclusion is that everyone has different standards. It is true that this is an older property and has not been "modernized", but it is a stately and gracious residence, old fashioned on an old fashioned island.

As Flipkey doesn't seem to have a "Refund" function, I returned more than 1/2 of the client's rental fee via PayPal. As he said, he did not ask for a refund and did not seem to care about the money, but he was so unhappy I thought it was the right thing to do.

Travellers are raving about these Woodlands hotels

Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing