Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews lovely hot shower wedding party stayed longer mt potts microwave heating nz hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed 22 March 2021 via mobile

I booked a bunk room at Mt Potts lodge, costing $110 for the night. During the night a high pitched piercing beep began to sound and lasted all night. It wasn’t the smoke detector, but an old system that was connected to underfloor heating. The room was super warm so I knew it was on as I didn’t have the heater running. There was no possibility to turn it off and after earplugs and pillows over my head didn’t work I even considered going to sleep in my car, but it was damn cold. The following morning I reported it to staff and said how I didn’t sleep and that I wanted some kind of compensation after showing her the fault. She heard the sound and commented that she had heard it before from the room I was in... She said she was not capable of making the decision to give me some type of refund. I asked for someone who could. She messaged another person and he came and looked. He said it wasn’t her fault (the staff member) after I said I want compensation for the worst night ever due to almost no sleep. It didn’t sound when he was there and he said it was the smoke detector, even though I had removed the battery earlier so knew it wasn’t. I was then told neither of them had the ability to compensate and that I would have to talk to the owner, who is very rarely there. I left my details and was told I would get a call or email. I specifically mentioned I would like to sort it out within a week. No call or email from anyone after 10 days. Very dissatisfied and a terrible way to treat customers given the circumstances. Nice location but pity the owner and staff who operate the tourism side of the station don’t show more care for customers. I will never stay there again and recommend people choose elsewhere.

Date of stay: March 2021
Trip type: Travelled with friends
2  Thank Djarimi
Reviewed 14 March 2021

We Booked a camping site for Saturday 13 March 2021. Mt Potts Lodge is a wonderful little hideaway tucked in the New Zealand's back country surrounded by breathtaking mountains and beautiful rivers.
Without a doubt we were very well looked after. I can truly say it's some of the best views in NZ.
The amenities were all so close to where we were camping it was so easy to roll out of bed and have a lovely hot shower!
We loved it so much, we really didn't want to go back to City where we live. If only we could’ve stayed longer we would’ve.
Ours hosts a gentleman called Philip and our lovely Russian lady called Rita they were friendly and extremely helpful.
Food available this evening was vegetarian pizza or a pepperoni really started to have one of each this was one of the best pizzas I’ve ever had.

Date of stay: March 2021
Reviewed 20 March 2020

Beautyful and quite place to stay. Localy and seasonal fresh food. Very delicious. Nice and clean bathroom. Only 5 min from LotR Edoras. Beautyful landscape - a must do!
Also a trip worth for people who don't know the LotR films.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2020

Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 20 February 2020

Called in for lunch at the Mt Potts Lodge – the only place potentially serving refreshments on the long gravel road drive up from Mt Somers.

We arrived hungry and thirsty to find that no food was available and only black coffee could be served as they didn’t even have any milk. They did have a few bottles of alcoholic and soft drinks.

An annoying disappointment, especially as there is no sign at the turn off to warn that food is not available and the next opportunity to eat is around a one hour drive back down the gravel road.

Star ratings include a rating for rooms - I clicked on that by mistake and could not undo the rating. We did not stay, so I have no basis on which to give a rating. My mistake - apologies

Date of stay: February 2020
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2020

Hello Chris, I am so very sorry this happened to you as I pride myself in looking after all of our customers and making sure they have good food to enjoy because as you state it is a long way to travel just for coffee. Certain circumstances meant that myself (the chef) could not be present at this time so unfortunately you got given a sub par experience. I strongly recommend if you are local visiting us again soon and have a better experience and on the house on my behalf. If you can read our previous reviews then you will see that we are quite consistent in our restaurant.

Having limited staff here (2) means that when a unforeseen circumstance such as this one arises then the system falls and crumbles and I am certain this review should not reflect the overall work, time and effort that is put into running this small business.

I apologize again as I can empathize with your situation

Kind regards,
Management

Reviewed 2 January 2020

We booked the Silver Birch cottage for two nights here which lies across a small stream (after rainy weather- you will mostly need a 4wd to get over it as it is pretty deep). There used to be a bridge but it got swept away by a flood a few weeks ago (we stayed in late December 2019). You can still use the foundation of the bridge as stepstones to cross by foot. The cottage itself was beautiful and private, fully stocked with amenities, electricity, water, and kitchen. The only modern piece missing was wifi which was only accessible back at the main part of the camp.

The food - delicious. We were initially skeptical that one man could manage the entire site and also cook all three meals for the people here. But then we had our first meal and was completely blown away by the quality. The food here was on par or better than most of the meals we have had in the cities. Everything is locally sourced and made from scratch. Menu changes based on what he can buy. The leg of lamb - soft, juicy, tender. The pork belly sandwich was mouthwatering soft and flavorful. The banana and berry smoothie - definitely recommend - it was an incredibly refreshing way to end a long hike. But the winner of the trip was the bread he makes - it was like eating crack. We literally could not stop and eventually ended up buying entire loaves to eat on our own.

The view here was gorgeous. The hike up to Mt Sunday offered a great view of the valley. However, just up the road, you can do a steeper climb up Mt Potts which offers a unique view of its own, even if you do not make it to the top. This was a perfect location to avoid the many tourists. At night (if you're lucky!), we had a clear sky, and around 00:00, you could see the stars so clearly, away from any city lights nearby. And if you know where to look - you can see the milky way with just the naked eye!

The owner of the place, Lloyd, was incredibly nice and accommodating. We really enjoyed his company and wish him the best!

Date of stay: December 2019
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2020

Thank you so much it means a lot. I really enjoyed meeting and hosting you guys, I hope to see you again at some point.

Kind regards, Lloyd