Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
All reviews lovely hot shower wedding party stayed longer mt potts microwave heating nz deluxe hosts
Selected filters
Reviewed 20 March 2020

Beautyful and quite place to stay. Localy and seasonal fresh food. Very delicious. Nice and clean bathroom. Only 5 min from LotR Edoras. Beautyful landscape - a must do!
Also a trip worth for people who don't know the LotR films.

Date of stay: March 2020
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2020

Thank you for your kind words.

Reviewed 20 February 2020

Called in for lunch at the Mt Potts Lodge – the only place potentially serving refreshments on the long gravel road drive up from Mt Somers.

We arrived hungry and thirsty to find that no food was available and only black coffee could be served as they didn’t even have any milk. They did have a few bottles of alcoholic and soft drinks.

An annoying disappointment, especially as there is no sign at the turn off to warn that food is not available and the next opportunity to eat is around a one hour drive back down the gravel road.

Star ratings include a rating for rooms - I clicked on that by mistake and could not undo the rating. We did not stay, so I have no basis on which to give a rating. My mistake - apologies

Date of stay: February 2020
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2020

Hello Chris, I am so very sorry this happened to you as I pride myself in looking after all of our customers and making sure they have good food to enjoy because as you state it is a long way to travel just for coffee. Certain circumstances meant that myself (the chef) could not be present at this time so unfortunately you got given a sub par experience. I strongly recommend if you are local visiting us again soon and have a better experience and on the house on my behalf. If you can read our previous reviews then you will see that we are quite consistent in our restaurant.

Having limited staff here (2) means that when a unforeseen circumstance such as this one arises then the system falls and crumbles and I am certain this review should not reflect the overall work, time and effort that is put into running this small business.

I apologize again as I can empathize with your situation

Kind regards,
Management

Reviewed 2 January 2020

We booked the Silver Birch cottage for two nights here which lies across a small stream (after rainy weather- you will mostly need a 4wd to get over it as it is pretty deep). There used to be a bridge but it got swept away by a flood a few weeks ago (we stayed in late December 2019). You can still use the foundation of the bridge as stepstones to cross by foot. The cottage itself was beautiful and private, fully stocked with amenities, electricity, water, and kitchen. The only modern piece missing was wifi which was only accessible back at the main part of the camp.

The food - delicious. We were initially skeptical that one man could manage the entire site and also cook all three meals for the people here. But then we had our first meal and was completely blown away by the quality. The food here was on par or better than most of the meals we have had in the cities. Everything is locally sourced and made from scratch. Menu changes based on what he can buy. The leg of lamb - soft, juicy, tender. The pork belly sandwich was mouthwatering soft and flavorful. The banana and berry smoothie - definitely recommend - it was an incredibly refreshing way to end a long hike. But the winner of the trip was the bread he makes - it was like eating crack. We literally could not stop and eventually ended up buying entire loaves to eat on our own.

The view here was gorgeous. The hike up to Mt Sunday offered a great view of the valley. However, just up the road, you can do a steeper climb up Mt Potts which offers a unique view of its own, even if you do not make it to the top. This was a perfect location to avoid the many tourists. At night (if you're lucky!), we had a clear sky, and around 00:00, you could see the stars so clearly, away from any city lights nearby. And if you know where to look - you can see the milky way with just the naked eye!

The owner of the place, Lloyd, was incredibly nice and accommodating. We really enjoyed his company and wish him the best!

Date of stay: December 2019
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 January 2020

Thank you so much it means a lot. I really enjoyed meeting and hosting you guys, I hope to see you again at some point.

Kind regards, Lloyd

Reviewed 31 December 2019 via mobile

Great location, close to Mount Sunday which even if you're not a Lord of the Rings fan is a beautiful place to visit. The young man who almost single handedly runs the place is a good host and an excellent chef. Make sure you take away some of his bread on departing. An extra shower for campers wouldn't go amiss but otherwise a great place to stay.

Reviewed 30 December 2019 via mobile

This place is wonderful.
The rooms are clean and the view is beautiful.
The owners are kind and the food was surprisingly good, really good ( the bread and all the dishes are homemade !!! )
A magic place to stay.
My compliments to the staff.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
NZaccommodation, Manager at Mt Potts Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2019

Thank you for your kind words, it was my pleasure. hopefully see you again

Kind regards, Lloyd