“Peaceful”
other traveller has booked this property
Belle Kaye Villa Belle Kaye Border
View of Marigot Bay
Another view of Pigeon Island
More Sunset viewed from Belle Kaye Gladstone Apartment Balcony
Bathing downstream of the Sulphur Spring
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
GailLF
Christina Lake, Canada
“We were misled as to the location and amenities of the villa in a number of areas”
Reviewed 31 January 2011 for a stay in January 2011

We stayed there 3 weeks in January 2011 with another couple: first night in 2 of the 1 bedroom suites, then moved to the 2 bedroom villa. We were misled as to the location and amenities of the villa in a number of areas:

- We were told that Belle Kaye was on a bus route. This isn’t quite the case. The nearest bus stop is a mile away near Gros Islet, so unless a bus has made a side trip up to Cap Estate you end up walking alongside a busy road to get anywhere. Return trips the bus drivers will usually go out of their way to drop you off at Belle Kaye, but only for an additional (and sometimes exorbitant) charge.
- We were told the Villa was ‘further back on the estate’ and wouldn’t be bothered by road traffic noise. Further back on the ‘estate’ meant we were actually closer to the road than the main building, and with the road being a busy one we ended up having to keep our windows closed at night with the a/c on to help drown out the noise.
- Nearest beach – we were told was a 10 minute walk. More like 15 going there, and 20 minutes back because it was mostly uphill. This beach was a lovely beach, but no washrooms or other facilities whatsoever, and much to our annoyance we ended up with sand fly bites that took a long time to heal. Pigeon Island Beach was a bit longer of a walk, but at least had some amenities.
- Were told that Rodney Bay/Reduit Beach was a walkable mile away: more like 2.5 miles so we ended up taking the bus when available, or a taxi otherwise. If staying at Belle Kaye you really need a vehicle (that is if you are comfortable on driving on the left hand side of the narrow roads, hills and roundabouts).
- The website led us to believe we were getting a ‘luxury’ villa. Note that most the pics shown are of the 3 bedroom upper suite or the one bedroom suites (the only interior pics of the villa showed the kitchen/dining area and the large bedroom) This was far from luxurious as the living & dining area had uncomfortable furniture crammed into too small of an area; the one bedroom was ridiculously oversized with the 2nd bedroom uncomfortably small and awkward.
- First 3 days we were in the Villa, the fridge wasn’t working properly. By that time some of our food was spoiling and the only way to get a cold beer was to put it in the freezer for a while. The owner, Eroy, had a repairperson come take a look at it, but didn’t fix it. It wasn’t until we discovered that the interior light was staying on all the time & heating up the interior that the problem was ‘fixed’ (we removed the bulb for the duration of our stay).

Be aware that:
* a gas barbecue is only available when Eroy borrows one from a friend (even then we didn’t get any bbq utensils until we’d had the bbq for a week);
* not all windows are screened and we found mosquitoes were a problem
* maid service is non-existent. We were led to believe we’d have twice weekly cleaning and change of linens & towels. This was actually just a supply of clean linens/towels. After many requests we finally got our floors cleaned after 2 weeks. We were only supplied with a 3’ broom that was falling apart which, once we complained, was replaced with a dust pan & hand brush set. On a further complaint we finally got a full size broom. Other basic cleaning items are not supplied.
* you are not allowed to hang out any wet bathing suits, towels, etc. on the balcony railings as Belle Kaye is part of the Cap Estate development and their rules prohibit this. You are expected to hang anything on the single retractable line in the shower to dry or use the clothes dryer. As we were diving while on St Lucia, it was impossible for us to hang our towels, wetsuits, and diving equipment on this small line. So we used the patio furniture to drape things on, and for a short time period would hang some things to drip dry on the chain link fence at the back.
* the stereo didn’t work (although Eroy assured us it did, but that it was finicky to use)
* if you wish to read in the evening, there is not enough light in the Villa to do so, as the wall lights are very low wattage and the bedside table lamps are small.
* parking is limited – we used our parking spot as a patio as the veranda on the Villa is too narrow to sit around a table
* telephone – will accept incoming calls, but for outgoing you’ll need to purchase credits
* the view from the Villa is mostly the parking garage under the main building, although from the 3 bedroom condo is very panoramic
* the ‘fully equipped’ kitchen was lacking in a few areas – no ice cube trays (if there are any there, is because we purchased them for our use), only 1 serving bowl, and the coffee maker was actually a European style coffee press (which is fine if that is what you expect)
* small insects (ants?) were in the cupboards so we kept all our dry goods (cereal, crackers etc) in the fridge. Eroy supposedly sprayed the cupboards, but it did little good
* outdoor furniture was very flimsy white PVC. We were told the set at the Villa was relatively new, but after using it for a week the chairs were already starting to split. Peter, the caretaker, eventually brought his own chairs from home for our use.

Things to commend:
• nicely kept grounds
• reasonably comfortable beds (although they are only double size), with good quality sheets and nice coverlets
• nice pool, although it could use more loungers (only 2), and additional patio tables & chairs (only 1 table w/4 chairs for everyone’s use)
• wireless internet was reliable
• Eroy (owner) and Peter (caretaker) were hospitable - took us to the Gros Islet Friday night Jump-Up (fish fry), held a beachside bbq for all the tenants one afternoon, and were generally helpful in giving us information about the area.

On retrospect, we should have stayed in the main building in the 1 bedroom suites where we would have had more living space, a better outdoor space by the pool, been quieter and better to catch any evening breezes, rather than in the 2 bedroom Villa (price would have been the same also). But even then, it wouldn’t have made up for the many shortfalls.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Recommended for:
Management Response
30 Jan 2011
I have seen your reviews that you placed on the FlipKey site and I cannot believe that you would want to be so vindictive after all the efforts I put in to address any complaints you might have had. I don’t always expect favourable reviews from all my guests, but to actually try and destroy my business with half truths and exaggerated comments is beyond me. I did not try to mislead you and I am sure you know that. That's why I must proterst vigorously about what you have written.
It’s strange that both sets of guests, who stayed in the Villa prior to yourselves, already wants to return to Belle Kaye. In fact one set of guests wants to return as soon as the 25th of February and the problem I have is availability. In fact they are insisting that I find some way of accommodating them, even if I have to give up my own accommodation. So, the accommodation at Belle Kaye can’t be that bad and I am glad that most guests know how to appreciate someone else's efforts in ensuring that they are getting value for money!
Did you both know that refrigerators do breakdown? The refrigerator you had is about two and a half years old, so I didn’t intentionally provide a fridge that would breakdown as soon as you got to Belle Kaye! The fact is that the fridge did malfunction and as soon as it did I tried to get the problem rectified. I even provided you with a smaller working fridge immediately while I tried to get the broken one repaired. Not only that, I also offered immediately to replace any food that went bad and there was none in this state.
Ants, yes ants Gail and Gregg, will migrate to open biscuits, sugar etc. There were no ants in my cupboards, you left a packet of biscuits opened and they went for it. You came to me and complained about food that you had to throw away because of this and I offered to replace your half full packet of biscuits that you had thrown in the bin. You declined my offer and now you are complaining on a website. I hope you are happy with yourselves?
The bar-b-que was not borrowed from a friend, it was hired for three weeks whilst you was at Belle Kaye, for $200 which I paid from my own pocket! The lack of utensils was an over-sight and as soon as it was brought to my attention I went and got them and gave them to Otto. How come there was nothing said about the bar-b-que whilst you were at Belle Kaye?
Now let’s turn to the question of drying your wet suits. Where else did you want to dry them? Didn’t you hang them on the fence, the front of my air-conditioning units and about anywhere you could hang them while I turned a blind eye? Didn’t you just use my hose to wash them off without even asking me.? Be fair for once, where else would you have been able to do these things?
The space in front of your Villa was not car parking space! Why are you complaining about limited parking space, you did not have a car? Did you see anybody struggling for place to park?
Belle Kaye is on a bus route; it’s just as I told Otto, during the off peak hours the buses are infrequent.
Why didn’t you let me know that you couldn’t get the stereo to work, I would have ensured that it was working immediately?
You complained about my security lights being too bright and now you are complaining about dim lights in the Villa. Each energy saving lamps in the Villa are equivalent to 75 watts of incandescent lamps. There are two of these in the bedroom you were staying and I would have thought that this level of lighting was ample for reading. Nobody else have ever complained ! I agree about the bedside lamps but if you had let me know that it was a problem I would have addressed it immediately.
What did you want me to do regarding outgoing telephone calls; pay for them for you?
Do you know what the meter reader said when he came to read the meter a second time to verify that the first reading was correct.? He said to Peter, “What is the boss man doing in there”? The bill for the Villa is abnormally high for the period that you were there because it was caned and now I have to pick up the bill I remember pointing out, on more than one occasion, that the AC was running with the windows and door open and Gregg’s comment was that “I have told them”.
Belle Kaye prides itself on having a clean establishment and I cannot believe what you wrote about cleaning! I told you on arrival that we offer a change of linens and towels every three to four days and I stuck religiously to this arrangement. At times you even had surplus linen and towels in the Villa. I also told you that we offered an apartment service at the same frequency if you require it. I told you that most guests choose to just swap the dirty linens and towels for clean ones and do the servicing themselves. You chose to do just that. There were not “many requests” for cleaning. A mop was requested to mop the floor and I suggested that Peter gave the villa a thorough clean and that happened the very next day. I don’t even recall that either of you were around when this conversation took place?
You know, the time I am having to devote to protest your comments could be, and should be, spent doing more constructive things but I just can’t let your comments go unnoticed without at least ask you why you are doing this? I don’t know why you would devote so much time to write such a lengthy review, but I hope now you have done it you can now relax and feel really pleased with yourselves. For my part I will just have to try and find some more time to really protest your reviews. In the meantime I know that because your review will be the only one of its kind posted, I hope readers will see that it doesn’t really fit into the pattern of the other reviews and just skip over it as it is more than inaccurate.
In the meantime I thank you for your custom and the sure thing is that in your opinion Belle Kaye is not a good place to stay, so I won’t have to fear your return and more vindictive reviews..
I wish you well.

Your age range 35-44
New York USA
Reviewed 17 September 2010 for a stay in May 2010

Check-in / front desk Service
Liked best: Cleanliness, peace and quiet and family friendly and safe
Liked least: No automatic gate
Travelling group: Solo traveler
Your age range 55-64
Recommended for:
Young singles Friends getaway
A romantic getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Large groups Rugged travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing