See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 28 September 2016

Ferncliff is unbelievable value for money, Annie didn't charge us for the two very young ones even though they had breakfast, and absorbed all the usual expense of sheets, towels, cleaning etc. I challenge anyone to find that deal anywhere on the Isle of Wight and beyond, let alone right on the beautiful Shanklin beach. I first took my niece and her husband and their 4 children last year as a treat. I have now set an annual precedent as the children absolutely love it. Six of them slept in the two interconnecting family rooms which was a perfect arrangement, They had their own en-suite bathroom which was great for hosing the children down after a day spent on the beach, and enjoying all the many amusements of Shanklin esplanade.

I slept in the opposite yellow room for a second time and loved the expansive balcony with a view of the beach. Fantastic for early morning and sunset skies and the sound of the sea. It was furnished with plants, table and chairs and the kind thought of leaving binoculars for guests. Please note that Annie does not charge any supplement for a single person in a double room so I had the luxury of a double bed to myself.

I find it amazing that this price includes breakfast. Cereal, toast and copious orange juice for the children and a lovely cooked breakfast for 3 adults with offers of additional toast tea and coffee. The rooms, bedding and towels were spotless. Annie is a lovely host who allows people the freedom of her home without unnecessary fussing or intrusiveness. She is available if needed and is a goldmine of advice on the local area.

It is sad to read comments that are so destructive to a business offering such fantastic value for money. This is essentially £30 per adult and £15 per child per night, including breakfast, on a seaview location right on the esplanade. it is distressing to read comments about her dog since we found that it had been suffering from cancer and has since died. Annie wouldn't have mentioned that as she doesn't feel guests would want to hear bad news. If a guest chooses to take an owner's dog from a private room into general areas - even if the dog's state of health was unknown, it would seem harsh to then blame the owner for any accidental mess.

From my point of view - given the unusual value for money and generosity shown towards our family, especially the younger children, I have absolutely no expectation that a team of cleaners will be on hand every day or that the host should never go out whilst we are visiting. Those are expectations that I would have in a hotel, but not in a small B&B run by a single owner. I believe we need to match expectations with price and the owner does have the right to a life. This place has a heart and soul and is not a bland chain hotel.

Annie, thank you for making us all feel so welcome, for offering a price that is brilliant value for a large family and for having a beautiful, clean, guest house in a fabulous location.

• Stayed: August 2016, travelled with family
2  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 17 June 2016

Annie is a nice person but her hygiene and cleanliness leave much to be desired, There was a musty smell as soon as you walked through the door, The shower, toilet and sink were never cleaned during our stay. I had to clean the kettle out when we first arrived as it was full of lime scale .I washed the inside of one of the wardrobe doors as it was a bit dirty and my cloth was black. There were also a lot of cobwebs and spiders in the bathroom The bed wasn't made on 2 days or the bin emptied because Annie said she was busy doing something else. The balcony railing was unsafe as it was a wooden one and rotting away. There was no choice for breakfast, other than cereals that had been on the mantle piece open all day and night, and a small cooked breakfast, no jam or marmalade for the toast and also no teapot. if you wanted another cup of tea Annie took cups away and put another teabag in. The icing on the cake was when her dog made a mess on the balcony and also whilst we were having breakfast. The TV in the room was awful and hardly had any reception, even though we kept retuning it, and there wasn't a radio so we had to sit in complete silence. On one occasion the landlady had the TV on in her room that loud that when we did get a reception on the telly we couldn't hear it!!

We certainly won't be going back there again

• Stayed: June 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank holidaymakernarak
Reviewed 25 May 2016

I recently decided on a weekend away, next to a beach,and close to shops and bars.
Well found it with the ferncliff hotel!
along with the host Annie, she was an absolutely delightful character,
helpful and knowledgeable about the local area as I wanted to see some sights since the weather was beautiful.
My room was clean, tidy with a nice smell of flowers throughout.
super view of the beach, and easy parking a few minutes away.
All in all I felt very welcome and would recommend to all my friends about this wonderful location

Room Tip: A room with a balcony would be the best option
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2016

We recently returned to the Ferncliff having stayed there previously in 1968,
Nothing much had changed accept of course the owner, Anne.
Anne was a very welcoming and warm host and could not do enough to make our stay as comfortable as could be.
The room was on the larger size, clean and brightly decorated, it featured a large wardrobe, a tea/coffee point, a hair drier, a couple of mirrors one of which was over the wash hand basin, a bedside chair and table, a flat screen TV and a cooling ceiling mounted fan should you be lucky enough to experience hot weather. To round it all off a very clean and comfortable king size bed. As we had stayed previously we anticipated that the room came with a shared Bathroom and WC, however as we were there during the low season we were given exclusive use of a bathroom adjacent to our room, there were other guests staying and they too were provided single use bathrooms.
We occupied the "Yellow Room" which had a wonderful sea view from the balcony accessed via a double size patio door with table and chairs to sit at whilst taking in the outside activities.
The food was not quite as you would expect from a more exclusive hotel but breakfast included, Tea or Coffee, fruit juice, a choice of cereal, a hot meal, toast and butter all rounded off with more coffee or tea if required.
This is a keenly priced hotel with a super owner.
Choose the "Yellow" or "Green rooms" for great sea views and early morning sunrises over the Culver Cliffs. All rooms enjoy a quiet position.

Room Tip: Book the Yellow or Green rooms for sea views
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm V
Reviewed 12 May 2016

I will start with the positives:-
We hired a family room, the set up was ideal for a family with young children, two interconnecting rooms and an en suite bathroom, the rooms were freshly decorated and the linen attractive cotton.
My initial disappointment was breakfast, very much supermarket own brand cereals, beans and spread, only one rasher of bacon, and no marmalade or jam.
My second disappointment was something very silly which should not happen in any hotel or bed and breakfast.
When we returned to our room on the second day, our overflowing bin had not been emptied, the basin not cleaned and our mugs, tea stained from our breakfast cuppa, were unwashed. Towels which we had left over an airer to dry and others placed over the shower cubicle where exactly where we had left them - unfolded and looking untidy.
We usually straighten the bed, but do not make it, and I was almost sure that our bed had not been made, so the following morning I left the bin where some-one could fall over it and sure enough it was emptied, and I left the bed slightly messy, sure enough when we returned it was in the same state ie unmade.
I know you get what you pay for, and the rate for this hotel was very reasonable, so I can accept the basic breakfast, but to not clean the rooms properly is not on.
Interestingly, another couple got two rashers of bacon each morning, but they seemed to have stayed there before!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family