See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 May 2016

I recently decided on a weekend away, next to a beach,and close to shops and bars.
Well found it with the ferncliff hotel!
along with the host Annie, she was an absolutely delightful character,
helpful and knowledgeable about the local area as I wanted to see some sights since the weather was beautiful.
My room was clean, tidy with a nice smell of flowers throughout.
super view of the beach, and easy parking a few minutes away.
All in all I felt very welcome and would recommend to all my friends about this wonderful location

Room Tip: A room with a balcony would be the best option
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2016

We recently returned to the Ferncliff having stayed there previously in 1968,
Nothing much had changed accept of course the owner, Anne.
Anne was a very welcoming and warm host and could not do enough to make our stay as comfortable as could be.
The room was on the larger size, clean and brightly decorated, it featured a large wardrobe, a tea/coffee point, a hair drier, a couple of mirrors one of which was over the wash hand basin, a bedside chair and table, a flat screen TV and a cooling ceiling mounted fan should you be lucky enough to experience hot weather. To round it all off a very clean and comfortable king size bed. As we had stayed previously we anticipated that the room came with a shared Bathroom and WC, however as we were there during the low season we were given exclusive use of a bathroom adjacent to our room, there were other guests staying and they too were provided single use bathrooms.
We occupied the "Yellow Room" which had a wonderful sea view from the balcony accessed via a double size patio door with table and chairs to sit at whilst taking in the outside activities.
The food was not quite as you would expect from a more exclusive hotel but breakfast included, Tea or Coffee, fruit juice, a choice of cereal, a hot meal, toast and butter all rounded off with more coffee or tea if required.
This is a keenly priced hotel with a super owner.
Choose the "Yellow" or "Green rooms" for great sea views and early morning sunrises over the Culver Cliffs. All rooms enjoy a quiet position.

Room Tip: Book the Yellow or Green rooms for sea views
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Malcolm V
Reviewed 12 May 2016

I will start with the positives:-
We hired a family room, the set up was ideal for a family with young children, two interconnecting rooms and an en suite bathroom, the rooms were freshly decorated and the linen attractive cotton.
My initial disappointment was breakfast, very much supermarket own brand cereals, beans and spread, only one rasher of bacon, and no marmalade or jam.
My second disappointment was something very silly which should not happen in any hotel or bed and breakfast.
When we returned to our room on the second day, our overflowing bin had not been emptied, the basin not cleaned and our mugs, tea stained from our breakfast cuppa, were unwashed. Towels which we had left over an airer to dry and others placed over the shower cubicle where exactly where we had left them - unfolded and looking untidy.
We usually straighten the bed, but do not make it, and I was almost sure that our bed had not been made, so the following morning I left the bin where some-one could fall over it and sure enough it was emptied, and I left the bed slightly messy, sure enough when we returned it was in the same state ie unmade.
I know you get what you pay for, and the rate for this hotel was very reasonable, so I can accept the basic breakfast, but to not clean the rooms properly is not on.
Interestingly, another couple got two rashers of bacon each morning, but they seemed to have stayed there before!

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 August 2015

We are a family of 7 and have just returned from spending a lovely 3 days at the Ferncliff Hotel. We had adjoining rooms for the children and parents and several of the rooms had lovely sea views. Annie is great - she is there if you need her but also allows you privacy. Breakfast was excellent and Annie is a local expert offering advice and local info. There were big advantages in staying at the Ferncliff. As it's on the Shanklin Esplanade we were only a minute to the beach which helped with carrying all of the childrens' paraphernalia. If we didn't want to travel too Blackgang or any other attraction for the evening there were various activities on the esplanade. Jungle Jim's is an indoor play area for rainy days, Captain's Cove had bouncy castles and various other activities and there were plenty of restaurants with children's menus. The Steamer Inn almost next door was very good.

Our break was excellent value for money and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Ferncliff Hotel. Thank you Annie for being so hospitable.

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth G
Reviewed 17 July 2015

My partner & I stayed at The Ferncliff Hotel for 3 nights. We could not fault a single thing. Annie is a wonderful hostess, who's only wish is to make sure every guest is happy. The room we stayed in had a sea view & balcony. It was very clean & comfortable. The en suite was ideal for our needs. Breakfast was freshly cooked to suit each individual. Annie is knowledgeable of the Island, so knows all the best places to go. There is no doubt we will be going back there again. Thank you very much Annie

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple