All reviews huevos rancheros family run hotel plenty of parking on arrival goodrington sands warm welcome lovely hotel breakfast menu balcony room recommend this hotel an evening meal steep hill comfortable lounge well stocked bar kippers the bank holiday weekend full english
Reviewed 30 March 2016 via mobile

Just returned from a lovely 3 night stay over the Easter weekend. As a child, my family visited the hotel every year and have wonderfully fond memories of the the Summerhill and surrounding area so I was very much looking forward to returning and I certainly was not disappointed!

On arrival we received a very warm and friendly welcome. We stayed in the Patricia Room and as previous reviews have stated is a lovely spacious room with stunning views across Goodrington Park and out to sea. The en-suite bathroom has a power shower over a deep bath tub which is wonderful to have a soak in after a long day exploring!

The dining room again provides wonderful sea views which is a fantastic accompaniment when enjoying the delicious and plentiful breakfast and/or evening meals! It was also lovely to have a quiet drink in the well stocked bar before / after dinner and reminisce with the owners about my childhood visits.

The hotel itself has lots of onsite parking and is situated just minutes from Goodrington beach and local attractions, which make it an ideal base for exploring. The owners have a good knowledge of the area and were more than happy to provide great advice to us on how to spend our time when the sun wasn't shining over Easter which was greatly appreciated!!

All in all we had a fabulous time and I could not recommend the hotel, owners, staff and location more highly. It was wonderful to be back after so long and we are already planning to return next year!

Lastly, I also highly recommend finding the pool room in the hotel with full size pool table; probably my favourite memory of the hotel as a child and one of the first rooms we went to find after checking in!

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 January 2016

We stayed six nights in the spacious en suite Patricia room with high ceilings and large bay window giving a pleasant view across Goodrington and the sea. Originally we booked two evening meals but then added two extra evening meals as the food was good and pleasantly served. Waitress service at breakfast too. Staff helpful and pleasant. Binoculars in the room to look at the view were a nice touch. Bathroom was a good size. Short but slightly steep walk to the sandy beach and nearby park with a steam train passing behind the beach huts giving a traditional feel. We had a peaceful break and look forward to going back.

Room Tip: We thought our room was probably one of the best: the Patricia room.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Frances4678
Reviewed 19 November 2015

such a lovely warm welcome and stay from the people who care about your stay with them loved the food that we had staying there good base to travel to other spots we visited Dartmouth / Sidmouth / Torquay and Brixham all very easy to travel too
many thanks to the owners for making our stay very enjoyable

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank harry209968
Reviewed 22 October 2015

Our stay was for three nights as a base to explore the south Devon area. Summerhill was clean, comfortable and convenient with delicious meals on offer, free wi-fi and parking.

It was well positioned to visit Dartmouth, Totnes, Torquay, Dartmoor and a quick trip to Cornwall. We could have easily had a few more relaxing nights at Summerhill to further explore! The owners were very prompt and courteous with all email correspondence prior to booking and arrival.

We certainly endorse previous comments of a warm welcome, friendly family ambience and a hearty breakfast. The lounge, dining and bar facilities were most relaxing. The ambience and clientele is such that staff and guests freely converse with each other and exchange information.

I was also very grateful for access to the laundry to freshen up our clothing and my husband grateful for the selection of scotch whisky and availability of Fosters (Aus) beer!

We highly recommend the Summerhill Hotel and extend our thanks to the family owners.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank robyndawn2015
Reviewed 21 October 2015

I have stayed here a few times now and would recommend it to anyone visiting Paignton. It is an outstanding family run hotel a minutes walk away from the beach. I have stayed in different rooms and all were clean, spacious and comfortable. I have found the staff to be very professional, very helpful and with an abundance of local knowledge about things to do and places to go. I would definitely recommend eating in as the food is delicious (breakfast and dinner) and I have tried multiple different things on the menu! I look forward to my next stay.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business