“Great base from which to explore Durham City and...”
other travellers have booked this property
Upstairs stylish twin bedroom of Moonlight Apartment, Durham Fully equipped Kitchen in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Check Availability
Historic Street View from Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Upstairs Lounging Area in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Ultimate 5-sytar relaxation in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
Recline on the Drift Chair in Moonlight Apartment, Durham
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available
Overview
Condo/Apartment -
2 Bedrooms, 1 Bathroom, Sleeps 4
Durham, Durham, England

Reviews from our community

Very good - based on 101 reviews

Reviews from our community

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Any
Claribell...
Barnsley, United Kingdom
“Over hyped, then let down by the detail”
Reviewed 31 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015
person found this review helpful

I booked this apartment because it looked so lovely on its website – and at first glance, it is stylish and a bit quirky, but it's in the detail where there are problems. I'll try to be brief; after all, no one needs to know about every little niggle!

First, the parking. Great to have your own parking space so close to Durham city centre, but the garage light wasn't working all 5 days we were there and we were underground, manoeuvring into a very tight space between concrete columns.

Next, the entrance and public staircases & corridors. Stained carpets and a strange smell of fish. Suffice to say that student accommodation springs to mind. Just awful! I know it's not the responsibility of just one owner, but someone needs to get it sorted!

The apartment:

Entrance Hall – Very attractive and welcoming.

Sitting room/ Dining area – large and light, stylish touches, but we found the furniture uncomfortable. It was dusty and we found several bits of glass on the carpet which obviously hadn't been hoovered up. Also, it's very noisy from early in the morning until late at night. You are overlooking a very busy main road with lots of emergency vehicles screaming past!

Kitchen – equipped as you'd expect in a holiday home, but done “on the cheap” with basic makes of white goods and equipment, which is not really what you would expect at this price, but the main problem was that everything was dirty, from a sticky floor to crumbs left in the bread bin and remains of food in the cupboard, dishwasher, fridge and pans. Much of the crockery was chipped and scratched and the pans were worn out.

In fairness, Ray the owner came and had a clean around when we brought these issues to his attention and had I not read other reviews later, I would have thought this was an unfortunate “one-off” oversight. However, I note that in at least 3 recent reviews cleaning (or lack of it!) and basic maintenance has been a problem which has obviously not been addressed. Also, I feel a bit insulted after being fobbed off with the story that new crockery etc is on order from Habitat – everything we used was labelled Tesco, Argos, Ikea or Lidl!

Bathroom – Not a great design; the bath is positioned so that you can't open (or clean!) the window without climbing into the bath and again there are basic maintenance issues, like a bath with no overflow plumbed in, a piece of cardboard instead of a proper flush, nowhere near enough toiletries for a 4 night stay (as promised on the website) and another sticky floor.

Bedroom – Comfortable bed, but again, it blocks access to the window so you can't open or clean it.

Upstairs sleeping area – I am just glad that I wasn't sleeping here! Basic single beds with very soft, thin mattresses, an amazingly uncomfortable day bed and the only good point, a fire escape. Perhaps a couple of teenagers or children would appreciate their own space up here, but it's advertised as being suitable for 2 adults!

This isn't to say we didn't enjoy our time in Durham, because we did, but it wasn't enhanced by staying in the Moonlight Apartment. It could be lovely with a bit of TLC, but as it was, we consider it poor value for what we paid and wouldn't stay here again.

Bathroom cleanliness
Liked best: Easy access to city centre
Liked least: Cleaning and maintenance issues
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
1 Jun 2015
Clearly we didn't meet your expectations, and I share your disappointment in that respect.
The car park lighting was being rewired; we can only agree it made parking a bit of a challenge.
As with the other matters affecting the public areas of this shared building containing 40 apartments, (although maybe not the cooking preferences of other residents), we do have a residents' association which keeps pressure on the landlords to maintain standards. It's a continual battle in any such property, I suppose.
The situation of the apartment overlooking the streets of Durham inevitably incurs some noise from outside, although this is suppressed to some extent by the double glazing; our Oasis apartment, nearer the rear of the building, is perhaps a better bet for those who are light sleepers.
Kitchen - following your helpful feedback when you were in the apartment, we have just replaced everything in the kitchen which was getting a bit tired. A bit late for your visit, but that includes a nice new Nespresso coffee machine, if you find that more impressive than a Tesco kettle!
There was no excuse for the crumbs, and of course we have sat down with our cleaner and reminded her what a 5-star rating means. Incidentally, we have just been re-assessed and inspected by Visit Britain, who award these star ratings, and we did demonstrate a five-star standard again to their satisfaction. It turns out she was using some foolishly inappropriate cleaner on the floors which made them sticky.
I'm talking to the plumber about the bath overflow, of course; but I can't agree the lavatory flush is cardboard - although I know the mechanism is 'spongy', it's well engineered behind the flush plate with quite solid plastics.
The upstairs beds were deliberately set up with different mattresses (one harder than the other) to give guests a choice. Perhaps we went a bit too far with the softer one! I can't say I've ever spent a lot of time on the day-bed, but others seem to find it comfortable enough to watch the TV and have a snooze I believe.
Finally, at £ 120 per night, I'm interested to learn you thought this was less than good value; and if you'd remembered to ask me when I came in to remedy the cleaning problems [and deliver your bottle of Champagne in compensation for them], I would certainly have produced some additional toiletries. Sorry...
Michael C
London, United Kingdom
“Great base from which to explore Durham City and surrounding area”
Reviewed 14 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

I took my two grandchildren aged 9 and 6 years to Durham intending to introduce them to the area. My mother was born and raised in Hetton-Le-Hole and I wanted them to see some of their heritage. Moonlight Apartment is in an excellent position from which to explore the City centre on foot leaving the car in the secure car park. The Cathedral, The Castle, The DLI Museum are all in walking distance as were a great selection of places to eat. Beamish is less than a 30 minute drive away as was the Coast and outlying villages.
Moonlight apartment was well equipped and a much better option and value than a hotel for the three of us. There were some minor issues if you want to find fault but nothing that detracted from a great stay. Yes the bedrooms on second and third floors face out onto a main road and there is some noise but nothing significant. We stayed during the Easter holiday period and the University was closed so not many students about.
All in all a great apartment in a great city centre location.
The Grandchildren voted it the best break yet and are pestering me for a return visit.

Liked best: Spacious accommodation, Secure parking, Location
Travelling group: Young Children
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Birdsnest...
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely Apartment, Great Location”
Reviewed 9 April 2015 for a stay in April 2015

After following the very clear directions that were emailed to us in advance, we arrived at the modern apartment block to be met by Ray who let us into the secure underground parking and took us up to the second floor flat. Ray showed us around the facilities and pointed out the very comprehensive information book which included his personal opinions on the main eateries in the town which he has been frequenting for over twenty years. The rental was lovely and is situated just off Elvet Bridge, a minute's walk to the High Street, which meant that the car could stay where it was for a couple of days whilst we got to know the town on foot! Plenty of room for my husband, myself and two strapping teenagers, they particularly liked the spacious twin bedroom with a seperate area with a day bed and tv. There was also a tv in the lounge. The main bedroom also had a tv and a a very comfortable bed. Shower good, nice decor throughout. Would rent this property again if revisiting Durham.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Proximity to centre of town
Liked least: Leaving!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Recommended for:
Friends getaway People with disabilities
Older travelers
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Aurelie e
“Nice stay”
Reviewed 1 April 2015 for a stay in March 2015

First of all, I stayed there with my husband and 2 very young children (8 weeks old and 3 years old). 2 nights.
Great location. Added bonus of secure underground parking. Some crisps, wine, maltesers were waiting for us when we got there. Nice touch. Sharon greeted us and was lovely.
Apartment has 1 double bedroom, 1 sleeping space in the mezzanine (with 2 single beds and 1 day bed). So can easily sleeps up to 4 or 5 people. The living accommodation is big too.
Our daughter loved the spiral staircase. She was told not to go down too fast, and she never fell. Perfectly fine. Beds are comfortable.
In terms of noise, the flat is located on the main road. Yes a little noisy but nothing major, what you would expect from a City centre location....
It is well furnish and caters well for short stays.
The only downside for me was the cleanliness of the flat. It was ok but for the price, I would have expected it to be spotless. it is in need of a good dusting everywhere, inclusive of the ceiling lights in the living room and the plug in the bathroom.

I would stay there again though.

Travelling group: Extended Family
CPHD
UK
“Stylish apartment in Durham centre”
Reviewed 26 March 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

We found the apartment to be very attractively furnished and handily located for the centre. But it did have cleanliness and maintenance issues, which detracted from our one night stay. Ray is a great host and dealt with these very fairly.

Liked best: Furnishings and decor
Liked least: Cleanliness and maintenance issues
Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
27 Mar 2015
It was very useful to get the detailed feedback from this helpful guest in Moonlight Apartment. We knew we had some necessary repainting to fit in between reservations, but the other bits of advice have helped us make sure we maintain that 5-star standard.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing